“Good start to the 2013 season” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Monarch Hotel

Monarch Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Bridlington
Reepham, United Kingdom
“Good start to the 2013 season”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

We've just returned from a most enjoyable break at the Monarch. Despite the bitterly cold first two days, our room was warm and cosy as was the rest of the Hotel. The staff were friendly and welcoming and nothing was too much trouble for them. I appreciated the free wi-fi but this was only available on the ground and first floors. The food was good and plentiful and served with a smile. Although I don't usually enjoy hotel entertainment, the two acts here were really good, probably the best I've seen at any hotel and they weren't too loud, so you could still enjoy a conversation while listening to them.
I thoroughly enjoyed my 5 day short break at the Monarch and hope to visit again as it well situated for exploring this part of Yorkshire.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rita713
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2013
Many thanks for your recent review and positive comments. I will pass these on to my management team who will be very pleased to read your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Once again many thanks.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Warwick, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

we visited this hotel in august 2012, to our dissapoitment.the waiting staff were first class, mark ,we would give 20 out of ten .butttttttttttt.the rooms were basic,the food was terrible,every thing was frozen even the fish and chips, i asked for a kipper , on the menu and it was a boil in the bag, no outside garden, just straight onto the road,to us it was good money wasted.Also on the tours, if you like smutty indendos then thats fine,not for us

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank alfie091
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Hi

I am very disapointed that we did not meet with your expectations on this occasion.

95% of our food is fresh with a few frozen sweets such as gateau's and the odd cheesecake, and some of the fish, the rest is fresh.

I don't know which room your were in but again the majority of the rooms are extremely good, some have splendid sea views.

You will see from previous reviews that this is not a normal practice.

Again I am very disapointed that we did not meet with your expectations and if you would like to discuss this further pleas give me a call on my drect number 01603 886771 or drop me an email with your number and I will give you a call.

andrew.peck@theukholidaygroup.com

Scunthorpe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

Seaside hotels are not my thing but when Wifey and the kids decided at the last minute that a couple of days by the sea would rock their boat I was left to find a hotel. Trouble was everywhere was booked up so it was the Monarch whether we liked it or not. First impession was that all the staff were not only very helpfull but it was service with a smile the rooms were clean the breakfasts ok and we did not pay a lot of money for the rooms which meant I was able to leave a few moths in my wallet

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Matt T
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, 31 December 2012
Thank you for your kind and honest comments. I was pleased to read you and your family enjoyed your stay and that you managed to save yourself a bit of money at the same time.

Once again, many thanks

Sandsend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

For the class of hotel this is OK. I stayed a couple of nights and it was clean, comfortable, convenient and the breakfast was very good with firendly and helpful staff. For the price it was good value and if I had to go to Bridlignton again, I wouldnt hesitate to book in here.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
Thank you for your comments, it is good to recieve positive comments along with constructive comments. I do believe we have a good selection of staff lead by a good management team.

Once again, many thanks.

LEEDS YORKSHIRE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

just arrived back from a weekend stay ,very warm welcome from reception and quick check- in .Asked for rooms with seaviews (and got them ) rooms all seem to differ in size and shape but are clean and warm even though a little dated ==all the basics suppled kettle ,tea & coffee hair dryer and soap (although no shower gel ) small tv that get the usuall digital channels Dinning room is on the first floor which is also where the bar area is ( access via stairs or lift ) small cosy warm area on ground floor which as some comfy sofas .Full english breakfast fine although you can tailor it to suit yourself ie poached eggs on toast scrambled eggs with bacon infact which ever combo you want and they oblige !!! didnt stay in for entertainment as we were visiting family so were out and about both nights ==but there was entertainment on the saturday night we were there .The best part of this hotel its ITS STAFF from front of house, to dining room to the lasses that look after rooms= all friendly obliging well turned out and nothing appeared to be to much trouble (which you dont find too often these days ) Hotel is just over from beach and prom handy if you fancy a bit of a stroll and only 5 min from harbour . Overall a pleasent stay and would stay again i have noticed one or two negitive comments on this hotel but then you always get the odd one or two who wouldn tbe happy staying 5* for free if in doubt give it a try and judge for yourself....

Room Tip: ask for a room with a seaview and if you can get one on the econd floor you may get lucky and get a...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AndrewNorfolk, Hotel Group Operations Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
It was please t read your kind comments about the hotel and staff. We do strive to try and make sure everyone enjoys their visit and on this occasion as with many others we have succeeded.

Once again many thanks.

Skegness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

I have recently returned for a Monday to Friday 'Turkey & Tinsel' Break at The Monarch Hotel on South Marine Drive in Bridlington. Whilst the weather was not on our side, it is November afterall, I had an excellent stay at this Hotel and I cannot recommend this Hotel highly enough. I am a volunteer Driver Escort/Carer for a local Charity Organisation in my home town of Skegness, and our party consisted of thirteen. Nine members with learning disabilities, my co-driver, a volunteer colleague and my elderly mother who was widowed in February of this year.

As with all of my reviews on Tripadviser, I will present my report in bullet form to make it easier to read and follow:

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

The Hotel looks impressive from the outside and upon arrival we were greeted by the Hotel's General Manager: Steve Matheson. Whne we arrived, it was still raining a little, but Steve came outside to greet us and to show us where we could park out aging mini-bus without incurring any parking charges or fines. This turned out to be right outside the main entrance to the Hotel itself.
Once inside, check-in was swift and we were all soon allocated our rooms and given our room keys, proper keys, not those new modern key-cards things that often go wrong if they come into contact with certain other objects.

Steve then gave us a brief but important 'welcome meeting' in the main lounge and asked me if anyone in our party would require assistance in case the hotel had to be evacuated due to fire, or bomb scares or anything else that would necessitate the swift evacuation of the building.

LOCATION

The hotel is located on South Marine Drive, right on the sea front itself and almost on the doorstep of the Spa Theatre Complex. It is a short walk from the main town and harbour, and the shops and other 'attractions' are all within a short walk from the hotel.

HOTEL LAYOUT, ROOMS and AMENITIES

The main Reception and Lounge is located on the ground floor. The lounge is very warm, pleasant and comfortable.
The Dining Room and Bar area is located on the first floor, and, despite what some of the other reviews state, is decorated to a pleasant and warm and cosy theme. There are views out over the sea from the dining area.

The corridors are wide and can accommodate wheel chair users. I had access to all rooms allocated to our party and all of the rooms I had access to were clean and tidy and roomy enough for a short break. Again, I can find no fault with the decor.

There are tea and coffee making facilities in all rooms. Some bathrooms have a heated towel rail, although the room I stayed in just had an ordinary rail. There appeared to be what I took to be trouser press's in all rooms, although I did not use the one in mine as I was not sure what it was. Modern flat-screen televisions are provided in all rooms, along with a hair dryer, which can be found in one of the draws.

The water was just at the right temperature and there is heating than can be controlled to your own preference.

There are telephones in all rooms from which you can contact Reception or make direct dial room-to-room calls, although external calls are forbidden. There is a 'welcome folder' which gives you all the information you need to enjoy the Hotel to its full potential. Rooms are made up every day.
I did notice that there were no signs with regards to towels being replaced every day and I was unable to ascertain if they were. My suggestion here would be to include signs which state that if you want clean towels every day, you place your used towels in the bath. If you are happy to use the same towels for more than one day, you hang them up on the towel-rail. A lot of hotels I stay in adopt this policy, not to 'cut costs' but to 'consider the enviroment'.

Some rooms have a balcony.

There is one lift which travels to all floors. The lift did appear to be somewhat out-dated, and I will be honest here, does let the hotel down somewhat. But what I liked about the lift from a safety point of view is that green lights illuminated when it was safe to enter of exit the lift, and red lights illuminated when it was not safe. The main lift door and lift interior does give the impression of an industrial lift and could do with being updated, but that is meant as constructive critiscism and is not a complaint.

The stairs wind up around the lift and are not too steep.

STAFF

The staff are this Hotel's greatest asset led by the General Manager: Steve. Steve and his 'team' went out of their way to ensure we had the most wonderful holiday possible, This has to be the only hotel to date that I have stayed in where ALL of the staff were helpful and pleasant. Each member of staff was well 'turned-out' in smart, clean uniforms and they all had smiles to share. They were polite, kind and helpful to the point of getting a birthday cake for one of our group and arranging candles etc, and when we wanted to pay for the cake, our money was refused, as the staff had a 'whip round' to pay for it. Well done to ALL the staff at The Monarch, including the 'behind the scenes' staff we may not have met. You are all wonderful people and you should be very proud of yourselves.

FOOD

Cannot be faulted.
Breakfast: you help yourself to a wide range of cereals and fruit juices, although hot cooked breakfasts and tea and coffee are served at your table by the staff. They will 'tailor' your cooked breakfast so that you only get what you want, and not simply presented with a plate of food with items you do not like. Just ask the member of staff who 'waits' on your table and they will attend to your every need without complaint but with a warm smile.

Dinner again cannot be faulted, the food was hot, well cooked and plentiful. Again, if you have any special diet needs just let the staff know and they will ensure you get food you want to eat.

This hotel also provides a range of packed lunches at reasonable cost if you let the staff know the night before you require a packed lunch.

ENTERTAINMENT

There is a couple of hours of entertainment provided in the hotel each night in the bar, which sadly finishes around 10,30pm as apparantly the property to the right of the hotel complain if it goes on longer than this. We had four nights of first class entertainment provided by outside entertainers.

I simply cannot find fault with The Monarch Hotel. All I would say is that in addition to the normal 'text' signage, it would greatly assist people with learning disabilities, if 'pictorial' signs could also be provided for those guests, like those in our party, who cannot read or write. For example, it stated that the lift can accommodate a maximum of six persons in words. Our members cannot read or understand those sort of signs, whereas a pictorial sign that depicted, as an example, six matchstick men, they would be able to understand. I stress, this is not a complaint, and my comments are meant as constructive feedback.

GUESTS WITH MOBILITY DISABILITIES

This Hotel IS very disabled friendly with a lift that can accommodate a motorised wheelchair, wide corridors and good sized rooms.

Room Tip: You might want to request a room that is not too close to the lift as the lift is somewhat noisy
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gazza1960
AndrewNorfolk, Hotel Group Operations Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Thank you for your kind words and comments. We have a very good management and staff team at the hotel and I was pleased to read they had performed well.

I will pass on your comments and I am sure they will be proud of a good job done.

Once again, many thanks

Whickham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

Just returned from a long weekend at the Monarch.

The hotel is situated opposite the Spa complex on an extensive promenade

Room was warm,clean and comfortable

Breakfast and dinner were varied and tasty.

Friendly staff looked after us well

Overall a pleasant stay and good value

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ed B
AndrewNorfolk, Hotel Group Operations Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Thank you for your comments. It is good to read positive comments as well as the constructive comments it shows us that we are achieving our aims and goals and trying to improve them were we can.

Once again many thanks

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridlington
Expanse Hotel
#9 of 26 in Bridlington
Longcroft Lodge
Longcroft Lodge
#73 of 121 in Bridlington

Been to Monarch Hotel? Share your experiences!