“Great Hotel to stay in”

Monarch Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bridlington
“Great Hotel to stay in”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

As a coach driver and in a lot of hotels that I have stayed gets the you're only the driver treatment this hotel was far from that. I had a coach of recycled teenagers who were treated like royalty and indeed so was I. The staff are 2nd to none, very helpful and nothing is a problem. Corie on reception is fab, what a character she is very bubbly and always with a smile on her face and would do anything for you no matter what. The deputy manager greeted the coach on arrival and it was clear to me this was definately a great place to stay, he was fantastic and very welcoming. All staff in restaurant are great to but Mike stands out, maybe due to him constantly singing and always happy. I would have NO hesitation in recommending this hotel and hope I get to stay here again, even as a guest travelling by car and also as a coach driver. :-)

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Caroline L
Gemma A, Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to the manager and his team as I know how much these are appreciated.

We certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

With Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Reviewed 18 August 2013

me and my daughter we came for 8 nights in aug had brilliant time staff are fanstic my daughter didnt want want to leave she loved crazy mark(barman) we re looking into coming back next year to stay keep up the good work their :) i would recommend having bigger bath towels thou thats the only downside i found

Room Tip: we had a sea view would recommend
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Ellen E
Gemma A, Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Steve and his team as I know how much these are appreciated.

Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Having just returned from a four day stay at this hotel all I can say is very good and well done to a great management team and fun staff...
Food at breakfast and dinner were served fast hot and plenty of it..
Entertainment on 2 nights were good quality..
Sure to return soon.. Our passengers had a great weekend

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank Tony C
Gemma A, Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.

I was very pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Steve and his team as I know how much these are appreciated.

England
Reviewed 8 August 2013

WE booked again for a one night stay as part on my mother-in-law's birthday.. The hotel is clean friendly place. the two rooms we had were very good.Infact ours was excellent as it was the Woodcock Suite - large and very well appointed. It is well placed for all local attrations and very keenly priced for what you get. The real gem here are the staff who are always very friendly and efficient. They make the place which is a 2/3 star hotel feel like it is 5 stars.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Gemma A, Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to the manager and his team who will be pleased to read them.

Thank you once again for your custom and we certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

pontefract
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Having recently visited the Monarch at Bridlington, we had a great time, you could not fault the friendly service of ALL the staff, we had the family room which was well equipped and clean, this is our 4th visit to the Monarch and always try and book in there first because of the great service and friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sarah183
Gemma A, Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thank you for your very kind review of your stay with us recently.

I was extremely pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Steve and his team who I know will appreciate the feedback. Your comments certainly reflect what we strive to achieve so thank you again.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Herne Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My partner and I have recently returned from our second visit to this hotel, what can I say that hasn't been said already. We enjoyed a five day break with a group of "recycled teenagers" and once again were really well looked after in every respect, the atmosphere here is so happy and relaxed that it would be difficult not to enjoy yourself, even the Victor Meldrews of the world would find it difficult to complain. Steve the hard working manager leads from the front a very happy and efficient staff, nothing is too much trouble for them and every one of them has a smile on his or her face, what can I say about Mark, he is something else !! A real pleasant and happy chappy !! Corie the resident tour manager for Grand UK has so much energy I felt worn out just watching her, whatever she is on, I must have some !! The food was excellent, a good breakfast and a four course evening meal from a varied choice of menu, extremely well cooked and presented, compliments must go to the chef, it must be very difficult to please everybody so if anyone did complain about the food they would be totally out of order in my opinion. Our room (No 31) was clean and well presented with a reasonable view although we never spend time in the room gazing out of the window. Even the weather was kind to us this time, most unusual for us, we take many of these 5 day breaks throughout the year and we usually have pouring rain !! Thanks Steve and staff for a really enjoyable time, it is only the distance from us that stops us from visiting more frequently.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shelagh t
Gemma A, Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently, particularly as you have previously stayed at the Monarch Hotel.

I really was very pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Steve and his team as I know how much these are appreciated.

Thank you again for your continued support of Grand UK Hotels and we certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future, whether at the Monarch or one of our other properties.

Skegness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This was my second visit to the Monarch Hotel in Bridlington, and it most definately will not be my last. The last time I was here was in November 2012 for 'Turkey & Tinsel' on a 'working' holiday with a local (Skegness) Charity. This time it was a short Friday to Monday break with my widowed mother and my sister.

In the beginning, we had problems getting rooms as the Hotel caters for Coach Parties, but with the Manager, Steve's, intervention, we were able to book two rooms at fairly short notice for a break that meant so much to us. My sister, my mother and I cannot thank Steve enough for getting us booked in.

I think I covered most of what there is to be said about the Monarch in my first review, but nevertheless, I'll add, at the risk of repitition, some more here.

A lot of the reviews here on Trip Advisor about the Monarch include negative reviews about the Hotel's decor. Okay, the Hotel itself could possibly do with a little bit of updating, but then again, to do so would take away much of its character. The Monarch is a typical British seaside hotel and the decor reflects that. But how much time do you actually spend in the hotel itself? Unless it is chucking it down outside, my guess is very little and you will only be using the Hotel to eat and sleep in and on these two points you should not be dissappointed.

The rooms themselves are clean and airy and the beds are very comfortable. Okay, on this occasion my room (Room 22) overlooked the rear of the building and a rather drab and dreary looking fire escape, but that did not pose a problem for me. I was not there with the intention of sitting in the room for the entire weekend looking out of the window. If I was booked into this room again on a future visit, I would be happy enough.

As I said in my previous review, the Staff at the Monarch Hotel are its greatest assest. Nothing, and I do mean nothing, is too much trouble for them. On our first night, at meal time, my sister who does not drink tea or coffee would have liked a drink of hot chocolate, a beverage that is not on the menu, but 'hey presto', somehow, the Hotel managed to provide my sister with hot chocolate. All of the staff are well presented, and extremely polite and helpful. They are also the same members of staff that I met in November 2012, which is a very good sign as that clearly inidicates that staff turnover is very minimal, if not non-exisitent. If the staff are happy to work at the Monarch then it must be a good sign that the Monarch is a good place in which to stay.

We only had entertainemnt on Friday evening and Saturday evening, but entertainment is advertised as being "available most evenings". The entertainers I saw this time were the same as I saw back in November 2012, so I guess they could be classsed as 'resident entertainers'. But despite some reviewers who clearly did not enjoy them, I cannot fault them myself, and neither could my mother or my sister.

Sadly, the lift still remains somewhat of a problem. Not a problem in that it is prone to breaking down, it is not. But it is very dated, not very pleasant inside the actually lift car, and can be very slow, not to mention very noisy. But apparantly to replace it could incur costs of over £60k. That being the case, would it not be possible to give the doors a bit of a lick of paint, and then add carpeting to the lower part of the internal walls and mirrored glass to the upper part of the internal walls? Doing that would be a vast improvement and should be a lot cheaper to do than replacing the entire lift itself. This is by no means a 'gripe', it is simply intended as constructive feedback.

All in all, even though it was a very short break, all three of us had a very good time at the Monarch and we shall look forward to returning again at some point in the future.

Thank you Steve and pass on our thanks and appreciation to your team.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room away from the lift as the lift can be very noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Gemma A, Manager at Monarch Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with an extensive review of your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Steve and his team who will be pleased to read them. I was particularly pleased to learn that you have stayed at the Monarch Hotel before and will be returning again. As you say we have a very good team at the hotel and I am glad that you were left with a good impression on both visits.

As you say, the Monarch has character although we know that there are areas and rooms which need upgrading and this forms part of an ongoing schedule of works. We pride ourselves on the level of service provided, which does help us to overcome this and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

Once again, thank you for your review and we very much look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future.