“small but neat...”

The Royal Bridlington
Ranked #85 of 117 Bridlington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Nothing to complain about, except that our double room was small! The Hotel was spotlessly clean every attention to detail carefully scrutinised. Breakfast was a feast (for a vegetarian) my partner's cooked brekkie looked a bit bland, but there was so much choice,all fresh and beautifully served by the 'dear' dining room waitress. Okay...the coffee could have been better and it would have been great to have had a blackout blind in the room...but overall quite a pleasant stay. Well-done to the owners and staff for maintaining high standards in these financially difficult times.

Room Tip: If you use a Groupon voucher be prepared for a small room, if the weather is fine then 'no probl...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Greenangel57
Maxine10, Owner at The Royal Bridlington, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2012

Thank you for your comments. We are please you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

This small hotel is a credit to its owners and staff. We greatly enjoyed our one night stay, which was an incredibly great value Groupon offer - quite justifiably described by the owner as a "loss leader". I believe the hotel is very good value at normal rates, and we are very likely to go back, particularly as we were given a discount voucher against future stays..
We had a good welcome, car parking was easy, the house has a pleasing appearance - having some very nice 1930s features - and is well-kept and immaculate inside and out. It is practically on the South Esplanade and our room had sea views. The streets around are nice streets with mainly good family homes.
The breakfast was above the norm, and there was an unusually good selection of fresh fruit and berries. The staff were all pleasant and work hard to make it a pleasant stay.
I had not visited Bridlington for many years, and was pleasantly surprised. Whilst there are some signs of the difficulties of most British seaside resorts, there has been a great deal of excellent development in the town, to the promenades, harbour areas, gardens and public toilets, and pedestrianised shopping streets. There are also good funfairs, noisy and brash of course and not to my personal taste, but clearly super for children and younger teenagers.
The town was very quiet in the evening, and I suspect having limited attractions for those seeking night life. You will be able to find some of the very best fresh seafood.
The beaches are wide and clean. All in all, great for family holidays.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cityhopper7_9
Maxine10, Owner at The Royal Bridlington, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Many thanks for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed yor stay at The Royal Bridlington and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

I purchased a voucher for my husband, and I to stay in the hotel, for one night, and checked the small print, which stated a surcharge of £10 for a family room. I also rang before purchasing the voucher, as I always do, to check this was correct, as we would be bringing our 7 year old daughter.

On ringing today I found out that our small daughter who eats very little, would be charged £30 rather than the stated surcharge of £10 to use the room. The woman who spoke to me said that it was because she would be using the bedding, having a shower and eating breakfast.

I have stayed in several hotels, and have never been charged such a high surcharge, and this is made worse by the voucher stating a family room would be £10 more.

She referred to my daughter as 'it', which I found quite upsetting. I said I wanted to talk to Groupon and said goodbye. Her husband then rang me back, telling me the same thing again. I told him that he was making me feel uncomfortable, but he continued, and said that Groupon should not have put the surcharge as being £10. I have looked back at other comments and see a reply to another customer saying this deal is for couples, and not in the other customers case, for a woman and her daughters getting a cheap stay.

I could not possibly stay at this hotel with the people running it having such a negative attitude towards customers, and not offering what it says on the voucher. It was referred to as a marketing exercise, and I don't want to be a part of something which the owners clearly resent.

Room Tip: Don't take your family!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Jazz077
Maxine10, Owner at The Royal Bridlington, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Many thanks for your comments on the Groupon Voucher system. We will certainly take these on board.

The Voucher that was purchased was indeed purchased as a ‘Romantic Getaway for two people’ and indeed on the voucher it does say to ‘upgrade to a family room for £10’. However, the £10 is an under occupancy supplement for the upgrade to the larger room which Groupon had denoted as a ‘family room’ with no mention of the addition of a third person for the £10 supplement.

Our standard tariff states that a one-night stay for a child would be £30. As this was not an anticipated request at the time of setting up the voucher system we, and Groupon who have vast experience in wording of similar vouchers, omitted from mentioning this item on the voucher. The remainder of the items on the additional prices on the voucher, including the £10 upgrade to the larger (family) room, are pulled from our tariff schedule.

In trying to explain the under occupancy surcharge my wife did try to explain that an extra person would incur an extra charge as ‘it’ would use an additional bed, take a shower and eat some food. The lady took this completely out of context and accused us of calling her daughter ‘it’ which of course was not the case.

We can only apologise for ringing the lady back to try to assist further. However, as my wife explained on two occasions, she was full of cold and with her sinuses blocked was unable to hear exactly what was being said and suggested to the lady that she passed the phone over to myself. As my wife was passing the phone over, the phone went dead. I assumed that we must have accidentally ended the call and therefore returned the call. As it turned out the lady must have, during passing the phone over, said that she wanted to say goodbye. I apologised for calling her back and tried to explain about the under occupancy situation.

Obviously this lady had a total misunderstanding of the terms of the Groupon voucher and we can only apologise once more for the wording that Groupon chose to use.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I recently spent 10 days at The Royal on 2 Quilting breaks that Fion and Tim run during the winter months. They also do dancing and golf special breaks if Quilting is not your thing!
I had experience of 2 different rooms both of which were spotlessly clean and equipted with a kettle, coffee, tea, mugs (yeah!) biscuits and beautiful soft towels.
The food of which there was enough to feed an army was excellent and there was plenty of choice (more than I've ever had in a small hotel to date). We were given morning coffee and afternoon tea as well as main meals, with homemade biscuits and cake.
I can't recommend The Royal, Fiona and Tim and their courteous, friendly staff highly enough if you're ever on the East coast - I have already booked my next stay!!

• Stayed: February 2012
6  Thank psychoticpat11
Maxine10, Manager at The Royal Bridlington, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed your Patchwork & Quilting courses. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Bridlington in the near future.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

just got back from a groupon offer to this place champagne flowers strawberrys super. lovely dining room and food staff first class the waiters and waitresses at breakfast looked so smart

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank goodwin1953

Thank you for your review. We are please you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Went for a night away on a groupon's voucher and was over the moon with the cleanliness, presentation, decor and welcome from the management. Champagne and strawberries, and a bunch of flowers in the room on arrival. Never been in such a clean establishment. Very pleasant staff and nice breakfast with plenty to eat. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Plumwifie
Reviewed 5 February 2012

we stayed at the royal on 4th feb for my wifes birthday ,through groupon ,it as to be the best accomadation we have both stayed at ,and weve stayed at a good few.the room was emmaculate ,with champagne ,strawberries and flowers waiting for us,.the breakfast was wonderful ,all in all ,brilliant stay thankyou

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank georgeclark1
Maxine10, Owner at The Royal Bridlington, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Thank you for your comments. We are plesed that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.