“2 Night Stay”

Ranked #62 of 118 Bridlington B&B and Inns
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“2 Night Stay”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Very good first impression, followed by excellent accomodation in the Royal Lodge with lovely comfortable beds! The full english breakfast was not for the faint hearted, but one of the best I have eaten. The hosts are relaxed and friendly and I will definitely go again.

Room Tip: The lodges are separate to the Hotel and private with self catering option, they are also very quite...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Hello
Thank you for your comments. We are please you enjoyed your stay and our breakfasts. We look forward to welcoming you and your golfing colleagues back in the near future.

Fiona & Tim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2012

My partner and I have just returned from this hotel having booked a bargain break with Groupon, but this aside even if we had been paying the 'proper' price we would have been highly delighted with our choice. The location could not be better - the beautiful sandy South Beach is only 2 mins walk from the front door and a short walk along the promenade takes you to The Spa and the Harbour.
The off street parking is a big plus but we were amazed that there were no restrictions to park on the street - great if you want to go out each day to visit the surrounding areas.
The rooms were spotless, well decorated, with lots of extras like TV/DVD, Tea and coffee making facilities, etc. Full maks for the super comfy bed.
The breakfasts were excellent with an amazing choice including full english, smoked salmon, kippers and fresh fruit - the evening meals were also good value with an excellent choice for all three courses.
The comfy lounge, bar, conservatory and garden area just added to a perfect stay. Many thanks to Tim and Fiona for getting it just right.

3 Thank hubb666
Hello

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we are pleased you enjoyed the experience at our guest house.
We look forward towelcoming you back soon.

Hull
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I have to say before I start, What do some people expect from an offer on Groupon that gives a two night stay with bed and breakfast for two people and includes a bottle of Champaign, fresh flowers and strawberries on arrival all for £89. Its an offer for two not the whole family and not at the Savoy. Now having said all that, – My wife and I have just returned from a two night Groupon promotional stay at the royal and where unsure of what to expect having read some reviews. All I can say is we found the Royal a very clean and well run place to stay. I will say that my first encounter with Fiona seemed a little business like but I understand that running an 18 room Hotel can be rather wearing at times and so much to think about. In fact both Fiona and Tim (the owners) are very pleasant and friendly when you take time to chat at a not so busy moment. Our room (No 9) was not huge but roomy enough and very well decorated, the en-suite was well appointed and had everything we needed. We had a nice sea view and a large window which opened all the way for some welcome breeze as the weather was rather warm. The Royal falls somewhere between a small hotel and a large B&B but has all the class of a smart Hotel with much attention to detail throughout . Nothing is ever completely perfect so now to the negatives. Only one really, if you intend your stay to be just in Bridlington then its a bit of a walk to the town and amusements but as long as you don't mind a bit of a stroll its worth it to have somewhere nice to stay, and if your going out and about it wont matter. Finally, if your not happy with your stay speak to Fiona or Tim, they will try to put things right, but remember they won’t be going on a cruise with the profits from your Groupon stay so be nice.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a sea view so ask if you can have one. It may not be possible but its worth asking.
3 Thank john_sHull
Hello

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Bridlington in the near future.

Sheffield
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I purchased a deal for a two night stay for two with champagne, strawberries and flowers but unfortunately was unable to go as I was sick and admitted to hospital. In the T+Cs of the deal it did say 7 days notice was necessary for cancellations, so as I was ill my partner rang the hotel on Saturday 18th May to ask if we could reschedule (our trip was planned for Saturday 26th). Unfortunately for us no one answered the phone and my partner heard a voicemail stating that no one would be in the office until the afternoon of the 26th (the day we should be arriving) and to e-mail if urgent! Now my partner is computer phobic and does not know how to start emailing so continued to try calling in the hope he would get someone...however by Wednesday 23rd he told me he had still been unable to contact the hotel. I was still in hospital and asked my partner to bring in my mobile so I could e-mail. I sent an email on the morning of the 24th with my telephone number explaining I urgently needed to rearrange the booking and my circumstances however I still got no response. I e-mailed again on 25th still no response!! So on Saturday 26th (the day we should've been arriving) I rang at 2pm still to get the voicemail message. Eventually at 4pm, Tim who runs the guesthouse with his wife answered. He expained that both he and Fiona who run the hotel had been on holiday for the past 7 days and had not had very good internet reception where they were staying so had been unable to respond or to deal with the e-mails...he said he had over 150 to get through as they had only returned that afternoon. I explained my situation and was informed that as I had not given the 7 days notice necessary I had, unfortunately, lost the right to reschedule the break and lost my money. They could not allow me to reschedule as they were now left with an empty room. Tim explained that I may be able to claim the money back from insurance, but I didn't have any. He explained that I should've purchased holiday insurance and how they always recommend it....I said I wish I had but unfortunately hadn't and was met with the response 'hindsight is a wonderful thing' (very patronising I thought). He said that he required 7 days notice and had no e-mail until 24th May which was just 48 hrs before we were due to arrive. He was really quite patronising and unhelpful stating that Thomson and other holiday companies would only do the same. My issue was that they had been uncontactable for the past 7 days, on holiday! Tim said I should have e-mailed earlier and he could have relet the room....how when they had told me they were unable to access their emails whilst away? Anyway I just got told the same excuse over and over as to why they could not bend the rules for one as all would expect it...I even offered to send a letter from my GP and hospital to prove I was sincere and to explain my circumstances but still was told no. I explained my disappointment and said I would be complaining to groupon and making people aware of how they treat perspective guests and was told not to be hasty and to hang fire until he had spoken to Fiona. I recieved an email later that day saying they were sorry for what had happend but could not break the terms and conditions on this occasion...however could offer me £20 off my next stay of two nights or more and a free bottle of champagne...I found this offer quite disgraceful and respectfully declined it (both these things were included in the offer I had purchased so they wern't giving me anything I hadn't already paid for).

I have written this review to make everyone aware of how unhelpful and unsympathetic to my situation the hotel was. I am aware that T+Cs are in place for a reason but I was unable to give the 7 days notice required as they were unreachable on holiday, surely they should've taken some responsibility for being unreachable!! I am sure this hotel is lovely unfortunately the people who run it seem to let it down....BEWARE!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank michiboo
Maxine10, Owner at The Royal Bridlington, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Thank you for your comments Michelle.

Whilst we understand your disappointment and predicament, the first request for cancellation was only received 2 days prior to arrival.

No message was left on our answer phone and there was no record of any number continuously calling.

The answerphone message stated we were closed and to email if urgent.

As you mentioned your partner continuously called our answerphone for 5 days listening to the same message telling him we were closed and to email if urgent. There was no sign of his repeat calling on our call log.

The Groupon voucher clearly states 7 days notice for free cancellation. Had a message or email been received within this timescale then we could have released and resold your room and you would have been able to reschedule.

We are sorry that you are unhappy with the Groupon voucher policy.

We are also sorry that you rejected our goodwill offer and feel that that it is rather unfair of you to say that ‘we are not nice people’ when you have never even met us and we have done nothing wrong.
lincoln
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We recently visited the Royal, after booking a weekend break with Groupon.
The Management & staff were very friendly & proffessional & Extremely hard working.
The Room was lovely & clean, with everything we needed. The Flowers, Champagne & Strawberries were lovely. A very clean & comfortable bed.
Our only negative point was that the room was very small, and the en-suite more-so. The hand basin was in the bedroom, as tight for space in the bathroom. But, it was fine for a weekend stay, if staying for longer - I would suggest checking this out beforehand.
The Breakfast was very good, with lots of choice.I particularly enjoyed the wide range of fresh fruit on offer. Hubby enjoyed the full English, somthing to suit everyone.
Again, Lovely Owners made this a very enjoyable stay. We would recommend The Royal to friends, as it is in a quiet area, but within walking distance of the town.
We used it as a base, and travelled to surrounding places of interest, as we prefer countryside to town, but all in all, a comfortable enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We had no view from our room, only roof tops, but as only there for two nights, we didnt bother. Th...
3 Thank SlimmaJ
Thank you for your comments.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Whilst all our rooms are well in excess of AA 4 star Guest Accommodation sizes, upgrades to larger rooms are available.

we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

kind regards

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Recent stay with my husband using a groupon offer extemely good value, room clean although small but we could have upgraded, bed very comfortable. Good choices for breakfast staff very attentive could not fault anything we would certainly recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pamela w
Maxine10, Manager at The Royal Bridlington, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Hello

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Greatly surprised at what value for money it was with very pleasant room and staff. The breakfast was exceptional and really set us up for the day. Would recommend this to anyone

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Paul S
Maxine10, Owner at The Royal Bridlington, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Hello

We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay and our breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.