“Look forward to returning”

and 1 more site!
The Royal Bridlington
Ranked #70 of 118 Bridlington B&B and Inns
goole
“Look forward to returning”
Reviewed 31 August 2012 via mobile

My Girlfriend and I purchased a two night B&B stay for £89 through Groupon, the deal also included champagne, strawberries and flowers which represented outstanding value for money. Fiona was very helpful and friendly when confirming the booking over the phone. I was very happy to take up the option of an upgraded room as this was only an extra £10 a night. On arrival we were checked in by Fiona at reception and Tim showed us to our room where our champagne was on ice, as welcomes go it does not get better than this. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. The breakfast was very nice, tea and toast were always in plentiful supply, and the waitresses were very pleasant, nothing was too much trouble. Our room was clean and spacious, and the bed comfy. Nice find, look forward to returning next year.

• Stayed August 2012
Maxine10, Owner at The Royal Bridlington, responded to this review, 23 September 2012
Hello
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back next year.
Fiona & Tim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Cleckheaton
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We have just come back from 2 days at this hotel. The breakfast was really lovely with a great choice including fresh fruit and smoked salmon, really fresh and tasty. The hotel was clean and friendly and positioned in a quiet area very close to the sea front. The staff were friendly and helpfull.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Maxine10, Owner at The Royal Bridlington, responded to this review, 29 September 2012
Hi

Thanks for your comments. Glad you enjoyed our hospitality and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kidderminster
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We purchased a 2 night stay on Groupon that included flowers, champagne and strawberries. We were advised when we booked that we would be unable to check in until after 2pm but we managed to park on the forecourt and then stroll into town. The property is in an excellent position on the South promenade and just a 5 minute walk from the town centre. Our room was quite small but clean and had everything we needed for a weekend break. The dining room has obviously been redecorated and the food was lovely. The owners are keen to point out this is not a hotel but guest accommodation so visitors should be aware of the difference and if they expect a top class hotel then they should pay for one. The only thing that stops me from giving this a higher rating are the comments the owners have chosen to include in their information guide in each room. Unfortunately, what they feel are funny anecdotes just make them sound as if they have chosen the wrong profession, constantly referring to 'problem' guests and the fact they have to try and grab some time to eat. I'm sure both issues go with the territory but are of no real value or concern of future guests. On the whole though, a good value for money break.

1 Thank WolvesTowel
Hello

We are sorry that you didnt enjoy our funny stories and read them with the spirit in which they were intended. Many guest really appreciate them and ask for the next episode! Its a shame that you chose to reflect this in your review.

Regards

United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Appalling service from start to finish. I've never felt so unwelcome in anywhere I have stayed! Firstly, I'd apparently booked me and my girlfriend in for a meal, this allegedly was worth £36 I hadn't booked this or agreed to anything, I'd in fact booked a table at a restaurant in the town. I was then informed by the lady on reception (Liz, I think) that she would get in trouble with her boss if me and my girlfriend didn't go to this meal which we hadn't booked. She then asked for our Groupon voucher, which I didn't have with me, fortunately I had the email with it on, on my phone, but it was out of battery so we arranged to email the voucher later that evening or the next day. After stating that there was no chance I was going to this meal and I wouldn't be eating at the hotel that evening, Liz then asked me to pay £20 for an upgrade which had been offered to me over the phone when booking. Naturally this sounded great! So Tim, (who took my booking) used his common sense and put me and my girlfriend in a triple room with three beds, in an outhouse around the back of the hotel. So I practically paid an extra £20 to move two beds together. I asked for downgrade but apparently the guesthouse was full... So I went back to our room and proceeded to move two beds together, which wasn't ideal as there was a very uncomfortable gap down the middle!

After me and my girlfriend had moved some furniture about to make our stay more accommodating, we went for a fantastic meal at a lovely seafood restaurant about 5 minutes walk away from the guesthouse. The next day came around and to our own fault we had still not emailed them the Groupon voucher, although I don't actually understand why they need it as they get all the details off of you over the phone... anyway as it was only our first full day it wasn't the first thing on our minds to get on our phones and mess about with forwarding emails, etc.. etc... So we went for breakfast, which I can say was barely average, the service was terrible, didn't see one smile from the staff. The food, well it was ok, in addition to my dismay there were no hash browns, and the waitress couldn't have looked more confused when I asked if they had any Earl Grey tea (which they didn't have). So after breakfast me and my girlfriend popped out for the day.

As we arrived back at the room, (early afternoon) we opened the door to see that all three beds had been separated, and put back to the original positions, and furthermore an envelope placed neatly on one of the beds containing an invoice for nearly £300 this included the meal which I had not requested or eaten, the room for two nights and £20 for the "upgrade" This confused me somewhat, as I was pretty certain that me and my girlfriend had purposefully left the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door as we had not fully unpacked and we had personal items out and about in the room, (passports, clothes etc...) Obviously this is not how you should treat your customers. I proceeded to move the beds back together and after being passively threatened with an invoice (for a ludicrous amount, that certainly did not match the value of service we had received) I also decided that it would be a good idea to send them the voucher, before I got any further costs added to my invoice, as someone mentioned below, getting charged 50p for them to print out the voucher... We went out again that evening, and checked out the next day after another "lovely" breakfast with smiles from everyone : I

On checking out we tried to voice our upset to Tim, he however had an answer for absolutely everything and there was no point even talking to him about our concerns. He made out the room mix up was our fault and we should have read the small print etc... etc... but in all honesty I trusted that anyone with the slightest bit of common sense wouldn't book two people in a triple room, and make them pay an extra £20 for it. He didn't mention that it was a triple room over the phone to me, he just said it was an "upgrade". The Royal Bridlington was the most unaccommodating place I have ever stayed. If I was a manager there and I could see that two of my customers were upset with the service / upgrade / anything, I would bend over backwards to satisfy their needs, and resolve their complaints, and not make them feel unwelcome!

Overall not great. I think the icing on the cake was coming back to my room to relax to find an invoice for £250 + laid on my bed, it wouldn't of hurt to politely remind me to email the voucher the following day at breakfast.

Room Tip: Before you pay for the upgrade make sure that you check what your upgrading to!
6 Thank 369LFJ
Thank you for your comments.
When you made your reservation you booked an upgraded room - you made no specific bed requests even though the voucher clearly states twin or double.

You were asked if you would like to make a reservation for dinner on the first evening and as you said that you did, you confirmed this by giving us your credit card details.

This was confirmed to you on the confirmation we sent you and the room was clearly displayed as Tripple. We also clearly stated that we required you to bring the voucher with you.

On arrival you denied that you had made a reservation for dinner (even though it was confirmed by your card details) As a small establishment we only prepare for the advance bookings - staff had been roted for this and food had been ordered for you yet you continued to argue and upset our assistant who was only trying to do her job and follow the request made by you on booking. You also failed to provide your voucher and eventually agreed you would provide it later.

You returned to reception again to complain about your room and that fact that you 'wanted' a double bed (even though you had not requested one). As we were fully booked we were unable to accommodate this request. So you then decided to remove the headboard from one of the single beds and rearrange furniture to push two beds together. This is really not acceptable behaviour when staying in any guest house.

Your room was serviced the next day and furniture was returned to where it belongs. There was no do not disturb sign present!

You then proceeded to rearrange our furniture again and when you departed the room had to be put back again.

After 24 hours we had still not received the voucher which you were are required to bring with you, so as we informed you on arrival that if the voucher could not be provided then the normal accommodation tarrrif would apply, you did infact receive an invoice for your stay in preparation for your departure the next morning. Later that evening you manage to provide your voucher.

We are sorry that you did not appreciate our breakfast, our staff,or our home and we regret to say that we shall decline our welcoming you back to stay with us.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

My wife and I visited this hotel on 16thAugust 2012 for 2 nights. We paid an extra £20 for an upgrade and we were greeted with a bottle of champagne and a bunch of flowers which was a nice touch. The room was lovely with a seaview and bath, (room 12).
We booked on a bed and breakfast basis and the food was excellent and the staff were polite attentive and extremely welcoming.

It was our first visit to Bridlington and the weather was great, the beaches were very clean and the hotel was in an ideal position to walk the short distance into the town, about 10 mins max.

I would definitely return and would recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: Room 12 was nice and quiet with a seaview.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Hello

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Having read some reviews before arriving - we were apprehensive to say the least. Having read again more reviews, it makes me wonder what peoples expectations are.

The parking is first come first served as you would expect - so what.

The staff were very friendly and very busy.

The food was excellent, infact the best we've had in a hotel, the choice was excellent.

The flowers and strawberrys were a lovely touch.

The room we had was excellent, accessed from the exterior. It was well furnished, well presented and a pleasure to stay in. The only down side that we found was the table and chairs outside the window which other guest were using whilst having a smoke, who could see into our room. It did lack privacy to a degree, but we didn't feel it was worth mentioning as we didn't come across it until we were getting ready to go out. Situation could easily be remedied by moving the table further down the garden as it was too light and warm to keep closing curtains.

Well worth the money paid.
Excellent Hotel

Thank you for your comments.
We often wonder that same question too!
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay. We are sorry about the garden furniture - we try to reposition them each time we cut the lawn to stop patches appearing and we had not realised that this interferred with your privacy. Like you say it is easily remedid.
We look forward to welcoming you bak in the near future.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I purchased a groupon voucher and like a previous reviewer was also charged an extra £20 on check out for an upgrade which we had not requested and had not been advised of. When I questioned this I was quite rudely told that this had been explained to me at the time I had booked - I had not! I am not one to complain but I know when I'm right and I know I had not been advised of this. I was then told by the owner that she had subsidised my weekend away from her advertising budget!! If they can't afford to do these deals then don't do them and certainly don't try to recoup monies in what seems to be a sly underhand way.
The Hotel itself is average at best, do not dare arrive before 2pm as you will be left standing outside and the door will not be opened before that time.
Our apparently upgraded room was clean and tidy. Breakfast was standard but could do with being available for longer (8:15 to 9:15)
Evening meal was OK but very little choice and was a little overpriced for what was basically a sunday lunch
The hotels own literature stated that one of the owners had been in the hotal trade since she was 14 years old, this must have been in the back of house as her customer service skills leave an awful lot to be desired.
After staying in a number of hotels up and down the country I would say that this hotel is nothing out of the ordinary and certainly not worth the full price stated on their website

3 Thank Andy M
Maxine10, Owner at The Royal Bridlington, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Thank you for your comments.

Like we said before - we are not in the habit of charging people for upgraded rooms that they have not agreed to. At the time of making your reservation you were either offered a larger room at the published upgrade price for just £10 per night or you were informed that the only room we had available for those dates was an upgrade room. It was your choice. A confirmation was issued with the upgrade total price. If you were not happy when you received and read this then of course you should have queried it when you received it – the same day you made your reservation.

The reason why we ask guests not to arrive before 2pm is that it does take time to service and prepare rooms for guest arrivals and we are often working right up until 2pm to do this. We do not have facilities for guests to use before this time – we are just a guest house and all the staff and busy preparing for the new guests arrivals. Again this is stated in your confirmation letter and on the groupon voucher itself. Normally it is not problem – we do allow guests to park up and come back to check in at their leisure.

Breakfast is available for a whole hour. That is the requirement for a four star guest accommodation. We are not large enough to staff and serve for longer than this and it is not necessary.

Dinner is a three course TDH menu with coffee/tea & mints for £18 per head including service and VAT ie £15 before VAT. This is amazing value for what we serve! We are sorry you felt otherwise. As it was Sunday – yes it was Sunday Dinner menu with a choice of at least 5 items for each course. For a guest house surly this is ample!

For the money you paid for your total stay – you did receive amazing value, service and quality.