“Best place to stay!”

Victoria House Bridlington
Ranked #37 of 118 Bridlington B&B and Inns
“Best place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

I visited from the US stayed one week.Place was great.very clean staff was helpful.great location would def stay again!

• Stayed June 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Warwickshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

Had a really good trip to Bridlington, definitely completed by great service at Victoria House. Friendly welcome, great room and an excellent breakfast made it a place I'd definitely come back to! The atmosphere in the bar was welcoming too, with a good chance to relax and feel amongst friends... Makes travelling on your own an easier experience!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

Stayed here recently and I have to say it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in for cleanliness and comfort. Where do I start....bath taps didn't work, had to fill bath with shower head....the bathroom tiles had mould spots on them....dirt behind the sink and the toilet....towels were hard and too small.....the landing loo had toilet roll and dead flies on the floor, not sure if used or not.... publlic loo door lock didn't work.... stairs carpet needed to see a hoover once in a while....ladybird infestation on the outside table and chairs....and to cap it all I was reading the comments book in reception and someone had left a negative comment, when I went past it half an hour later, that comment had been removed from the book. Probably my worst stay in Brid ever, kind of put a dampener on our trip :(

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank soulboy08
VHCooper, Owner at Victoria House Bridlington, responded to this review, 22 August 2011
Your comments will be answered as best as I can put them.

"Where do I start....bath taps didn't work, had to fill bath with shower head...."
The bath taps do work all you have to do is push/pull the round knob in the middle of the taps to select shower/tap mode. I am surprised you did not mention this at either of the 2 breakfast and also at the many times I saw you over the 2 days coming in/out I asked you if everything was all right, "yeah fine thanks" was your reply...

"The bathroom tiles had mould spots on them...."
If you mean the window sill tiles it can be mistaken for mould but it's the black waterproof paint coming through the white paint - it is going to be re-tiled/grouted but in august it's difficult as it's checkout/checkin in a matter of hours.

"dirt behind the sink and the toilet...."
I am not sure why this was but it has been sorted and the cleaner involved has been asked to double check this in future.

"towels were hard and too small....."
Perhaps if you had not ruined a brand new set of cream towels by soaking up the spilt drinks and leaving it and dirtied all of the others and making a mess, we would have given you better towels for the rest of your stay, you were given 4 bath towels and 4 hand towels hardly small

"The landing loo had toilet roll and dead flies on the floor, not sure if used or not...."
As for dead flies I cannot offer any reply other than it's checked/cleaned daily and replenished with toilet roll. It was noticed that you were constantly using the public toilet which I find odd as you have an en-suite room.

"publlic loo door lock didn't work...."
This was removed as children were locking themselves in the toilet, also every room is en-suite and as this toilet was next door to your room I fail to see why you kept using it.

"stairs carpet needed to see a hoover once in a while...."
The stairs carpet is hoovered every day after breakfast, and you can appreciate having 32 people and a fair few children going up and down the stairs all day but we do check them.

"ladybird infestation on the outside table and chairs...."
I am bemused by what you think I could do to resolve that one! Indeed there was a swarm that appears to have hit the area, but there was a can of fly spray on the outer window for people to use, not sure how effective it was as there is not "ladybird killer spray" that I know of.

"and to cap it all I was reading the comments book in reception and someone had left a negative comment, when I went past it half an hour later, that comment had been removed from the book."
I too had read that and I have absolutely no idea about the removal apart from noticing that the threads were torn when I next looked - questions were asked.

"Probably my worst stay in Brid ever, kind of put a dampener on our trip :("
I am sorry you felt this way and I think you are being a bit over the top with some of them, but you were constantly asked if you were all right and ok and you said nothing after spending 2 nights with us, even at check out there was nothing wrong when I asked "was everything ok?"

Perhaps if you were open and up front with me about your tiny problems I could have helped you but instead I find myself typing this reply to you for everyone to see.
What more could I have done to ask if everything was ok?
Grimsby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

we found the location great , but the little things that matter disappointed us. the kids loved having their own room but the storage drawers were falling to pieces and when you went to open the them the knobs slipped off leaving a sharp 3" screw protruding out the front. when the kids pulled out their handy storage drawers from underneath their bunks to put their toys away the dust and litter was unbelievable. the tv wasnt working properly which they said was down to the change over. overall the decor / fittings were very cheap which is why i would class this as a 2 star not 3. we have tried to be fair with this review , but we have stayed in family rooms in the same price bracket before but they were at a much higher standard.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank shaun l
Your comments will be answered as best as I can put them.

"we found the location great"
Thank you it was important to us also.

"but the little things that matter disappointed us. the kids loved having their own room but the storage drawers were falling to pieces and when you went to open the them the knobs slipped off leaving a sharp 3" screw protruding out the front."
This is very disappointing and understand how you must have felt, I have kids also and would not want them to be exposed to 2" screws either, however falling to pieces is not true, what looks like is some previous guests have clearly played with these - this has been dealt with as it was noticed when you vacated the room.

"when the kids pulled out their handy storage drawers from underneath their bunks to put their toys away the dust and litter was unbelievable."
I wish you had brought this to our attention so it could have been sorted, someone is always around to deal with issues. Sadly this must have been overlooked.

"the tv wasnt working properly which they said was down to the change over."
Absolutely true I made you aware of this on arrival that the change over day was the day you checked in and if you have any problems to let me know, and you replied "yeah ok" and I replied to the kids "well your not hear to watch TV anyway are you?". It's been national news about the change over for years and today was the day they were turning analogue off and having digital only, the TV in your room is capable of picking up the new digital freeview channels and has done for some time, if you could not get it to work you could have asked us, and no-one else in the B&B had a problem, so what is your point?

"overall the decor / fittings were very cheap which is why i would class this as a 2 star not 3. we have tried to be fair with this review , but we have stayed in family rooms in the same price bracket before but they were at a much higher standard."

Not sure what you mean by decor/fittings cheap as the bed is new from Easter, bed lined is new this season, the bedside touch sensitive lamps are less than 2 months old, the TV was less than 1 week old.
As for saying we are " 2 star not 3" I fail to see why you think we were 3 star as we are not rated any stars!
If you can recall the way you had left the room you may appreciate how hard work it is keeping these room clean and tidy.

There is nothing fair here apart from good location and breakfast and if you had told us when you had the chance to you may have gone home a lot happier.
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

My husband and I travelled to Bridlington with our 21-month old twin daughters. I can say all the good reviews about this hotel are spot on!! We stayed in a two-bedroom family room with cots supplied as well as a baby monitor. We also had highchairs at breakfast time for the girls - less for us to carry. The staff were great, giving us details of family-friendly locations and good restaurants. We had a lovely time and will definitely make a return trip. Thank you!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2011

a great place, teenagers were taken care of with the x-box in the TV room, a comfortable place lots of room plenty of parking.
great breakfast - poached egg was amazing x
will be back again, loved the fact the kids had their own room

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank oxostockman
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2011

Very comfortable room with all facilities incl sky tv. En suite, lovely bed, very clean. The owners were so friendly, nothing too much trouble for them. I really enjoyed the food in the restaraunt, and relaxing in the bar after my meal. First class and a good base for exploring the local area. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo