“Alll went well !” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Haydock
Dublin, Ireland
“Alll went well !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

The photo looks lovely but in actual fact the hotel is on the edge of an industrial estate. Still fine though. Building is modern. Check in was good. Room was a bit small but clean. Ground floor near the marquis. I checked there was no wedding on. I can imagine if there had been a wedding I would have been very upset with the noise. Staff were friendly and helpful in the dining room, bit lax in the lobby. Spa was good. Had a swim before dinner Food was good. There is not much nearby. Had to go for a reason but it would not be for a weekend away. Lot of business done in the lobby. It is a business hotel and not a relaxing destination place. Overall good. Better than average but not VERY good.

Room Tip: Make sure you are away from the marquis !!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MissB1, General Manager at Mercure Haydock Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for comments which will be shared with the team, we were pleased to note that overall you had a good stay and generally found the staff helpful and friendly, we will of course follow up regarding your feedback about the lounge team. We do hope you will consider using us again in the future.

Kim Burrows

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

I have just spent 2 nights here as part of a tour. Having checked trip advisor I was already aware of noise if there is a wedding party so was not surprised to receive a letter on check in. however, even I did not expect it to be so bad. On Saturday night our coach parked on the far side of the car park and we could hear the music, our room was the other side of the hotel near the speakers! the letter clearly stated it would be until midnight but did not stop until nearly 12.30. Why they put people with children or older people by the music I don't know, would it not make sense to put people connected to the wedding there if possible.

This was only 1 problem. the hotel has 2 floors and no lift and no one offered to help (our coach party had many oaps). Our evening meal did not really appeal to children my daughter left most of her main course and took 2 desserts to fill herself up. we did not order any drinks but were aware of others who ordered bottles if wine many times before it arrived.

On a positive note the room looked mostly clean with plenty if tea and coffee and the bathroom roomy.

I would not be returning to this hotel again as they appear more interested in being a wedding hotel and less interested in everyone else.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Reviewer
We were very disappointed to hear that you would not return and I am sorry you did not raise any of these issues at the time of your stay as I am sure that in relation to nearly all of your comments we would have been able to offer an alternative solution. Unfortunately we do not have a lift which is clearly stated in all of our correspondence with group bookings, your group did not book porterage for your large group but there is always team members on hand to assist where required and if requested. I am sorry that you encountered disturbance from the wedding , we do wherever possible allocate other customers away from the internal rooms. However I will be investigating the noise levels you describe as they appear quite unusually loud. We have a special system that the artistes should connect to ensure noise levels are contained. I assure you all our customers are important and there is certainly no intention to treat anyone any different, I do however appreciate that all tastes are different and when catering for a large group it is not always possible to cover the diversity of taste but we do pride ourselves on 'A just ask' policy and we will try to help wherever we can
Your comments will be shared with all the team accordingly to ensure we can strive to improve our services and I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Peterlee England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed for a three night break. The Front desk where very efficient and friendly and our room was vey spacious and clean. The breakfast had a great selection of food so we decided to try the evening meal which was also excellent.My wife tried the Spa experience which she enjoyed and would certainly try it again. Even though the hotel was busy with a wedding it did not stop the staff from being very helpful.We would certainly visit again soon.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MissB1, General Manager at Mercure Haydock Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Reviewer
We really appreciate the time you have taken to give us your comments following on from your recent 3 night stay. I was very pleased to read that you have found the team to be friendly and efficient and that you and your wife have enjoyed the facilities we have to offer, I will of course ensure your feedback is shared with the team . We do hope to see you again soon!

Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Amazing wedding venue :) all booked today. Staff are really friendly and I couldn't ask for a better wedding co-ordinator :) kath is very approachable, professional and helpful. She helps you in all the ways possible to make your own unique day with your taste! I loved the venue but without kath I wouldn't be as happy! Thanks kath you have been amazing! X

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Keira

Thank you for your kind comments which I will ensure are shared. Kath will be really pleased to know how valued she is and I am also pleased you have found all the other team members friendly. We are delighted that you have chosen Thistle Haydock for your wedding venue.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Rating this very good rather than average for 3 reasons, first the staff were friendly and helpful. Second the room was much larger than average, clean and had a great shower and lastly there is plenty of parking and a decent sized lounge area
If it wasnt for those things, then its just a block business hotel that needs the paintwork refreshing on the outside and has the stereo-typical limited menu and long waits in the restaurant.

I'd stay again (for work), but for the money its not exceptional.

Room Tip: dont get a room opposite the motorway as its really close,
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MissB1, General Manager at Mercure Haydock Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your feedback which will be shared with the team and acted upon wherever possible. I was however pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay and found the staff helpful and friendly. We do hope that you will consider using us again in the future.

Saint Helens, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

We got married at this Hotel on 12th October 2013 and had a fantastic time! All the staff were amazing and made our day truly magical.If anyone is considering this venue for their wedding, then go for it! The staff made sure that everything ran smoothly and was completely stress free. Also the grounds are beautiful for photo opportunities. Our guests had nothing but praise for the Hotel,the staff, and the food. Everyone had an excellent time.

I stayed the night before in a Junior Suite, which was lovely and very spacious. Our room on the wedding night (bridal suite)was AMAZING, and breakfast was great! Cannot fault a thing.

We will definitely be returning to the Thistle because everything was perfect! They gave us our dream day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Gemma H

Thank you so much for your review and we are so pleased that we delivered your dream day. I will ensure your comments are shared with the team and it is lovely to know that you enjoyed the rooms, found the staff amazing and that everything met your expectations for your special day. Thank you for choosing Thistle Haydock as your wedding venue and we all wish you many congratulations and a very happy marriage.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here overnight in October for a romantic time out. Receptionist was certainly unwellcoming. They have so called turbo queue for fast. service which is totally irrelevant as there is only on receptionist. We asked to be called early and call a taxi but they did neither. When we voiced Our disappointment. we did not get an apology either... Again, reception. On the plus side the waitresses were delightful and relaunch was fab. The room was fine atheist bed was comfy. The Gym personnel were

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

I am really sorry and I apologise that you had a poor experience with reception which is totally unacceptable and a most unusual experience for this hotel. I would be grateful if you would kindly supply me with more details so I can follow up on your comments. On a more positive note I am pleased you found the restaurant team helpful and had a comfortable night's sleep.

Kim Burrows
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haydock
Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23
Chalon Court Hotel
Chalon Court Hotel
#3 of 4 in St Helens
Crowne Plaza  Liverpool City Centre

Been to Mercure Haydock Hotel? Share your experiences!