“Disgraceful!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Haydock
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Disgraceful!”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here on two occasions over the Easter weekend on our way up to Glasgow but will NEVER return!

On the Thursday night we stayed in a premium room, which was very basic and in desperate need if refurbishing. During the night the room became extremely hot so we turned on the fan only to find it didn't work. The door handle to the bathroom was also hanging off, how could that be missed by who ever cleaned the bathroom? We reported both problems at reception the following morning.

We returned to the hotel on the sunday. This time we decided to upgrade to a king suite. The room was beautiful and would have been excellent value for money if it hadn't been for the fact that there was a wedding on. This is where the problems started.

Firstly we were told on arrival that everything would be finishing at 12pm, which is perfectly acceptable. However the music became so loud we could actual hear the lyrics word for word and even with the TV turned up you still couldn't get over the extent of the noise.
Therefore we complained to reception to which all we got was 'sorry there's a wedding on'. We then asked for a manager (Lee) to come up to the room to see if he thought it was acceptable. As soon as he arrived he said just walking down the corridor he could tell it was far too loud. We agreed to complimentary drinks and he would ensure it was turned down slightly.
Nothing happened ref the volume, drinks received and come 12pm still no peace. Called down again to find out Lee had left so was put through to another manager who wasn't interested in anything we had to say before informing us it wouldn't stop till 12.30 now as the dj was late! In the end the music still didn't finish till 12.45pm. We also tried at one point to get drinks at the bar but found we had no chance of getting any where near it. Instead the receptionist told us we would have to pay a £5 room charge to have them sent up or go the vending machine in the spa. However the spa was shut even tho we were told on arrival it was open till 8pm!

In the morning we spoke to Lee again ref our complaint who apologised and discounted our bill. Also promising to call a few days later to discuss the matter further as he didn't want us to have the wrong impression of the hotel.

Well it's now Friday afternoon and we've heard nothing and I doubt we will.

To anyone looking to book this hotel don't be fooled by the cheap rates as if you encounter any problems during your stay I very much doubt they will be dealt with in the right manner.

Mr and Mrs T Dickens

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Street_Dickens
Adam C, Manager at Mercure Haydock Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Mr & Mrs Dickens,

After reading your review on Trip advisor it seems that we have failed to meet your expectations and also deal with any issues that you have raised. For this I would like to offer you a sincere apology.

I have contacted the mobile number we have for you on the system and left a message as I would prefer to offer an apology in person rather than through email. I am also very disappointed that you were expecting a call from a member of my team and that has not happened. I can assure you that I have taken all your comments on board and will investigate and any action required will be taken to improve.

If you wish to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me on any of the details I sent you in my email

Adam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Indonesian first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We had our wedding reception at the Thistle Haydock in April and I have to say it was absolutely fantastic! Right from choosing the venue at one of their wedding fair events – this was the first place we visited and was our bench mark for other wedding fairs and from the moment we walked through the doors it was welcoming and lovely with really friendly staff and a stunning looking building which made lovely wedding photos. It turned out that for us none of the other venues we went to matched here as they looked lovely but were “clinical” and cold – this cannot be said about any part of The Thistle!

Kathy, the Special Events Co-ordinator was fantastic as were here staff who helped run our special day. Kathy was just an email away for anything and nothing was too much trouble for anyone there and despite our wedding having 50% non-English speakers and various guest and menu changes right up to 48 hours before the wedding – it wasn’t a problem.

The menu taster evening was fantastic, you’re given a form and pen to write what you think / like / dislike about each course and at the end the Chef comes to your table to talk through it. Again, he accommodated dietary requirements and any other feedback!

Also knowing that Kathy and her team took over the running on the day of the wedding was brilliant. Even the Florist was stunned at getting a phone call first thing in the morning for their delivery times – she’d never been asked that from any venue before!

All my guests complimented us on the venue choice, from its location, style, staff, service and food (the wedding breakfast was delicious – and the evening buffet was fantastic and I was informed by nearly all my guests that the hotpot was one of the best!). Nothing was or could be faulted and one of the best compliments came from a friend of ours who is a top Hotelier in Europe saying it was a fantastic hotel which paid attention to detail!

The Bridal Suite was something else – we couldn’t believe the size of it - and how relaxing it was just to be able to sit in the comfortable sofas and relax! The guests that stayed at the hotel said it was fantastic, the rooms were spacious, beds comfy and lovely big bathrooms and showers. So much so, that one guest stayed an extra night!!!

If you’re looking for a venue for a wedding or function then I’d fully recommend The Thistle, it’s simply stunning and has friendly, professional staff, fantastic food and an ambience which leaves a lasting impression.

Thank you to all the staff for absolutely everything, you helped make our wedding day perfect!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cazz-1416
MissB1, General Manager at Mercure Haydock Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Cazz
We are delighted that we were able to have such a great contribution to your very special day, I will of course pass on your comments to the team who will be very pleased and especially Kathy. The team pride themselves on their attention to detail and it is always so motivating to know their hard work paid off and that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you for choosing Thistle Haydock as your wedding venue and we all wish you a long, happy and healthy marriage.

Many congratulations and Best Wishes

Cluster General Manager
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The room reminded me of my room at the Waldorf Astoria in New York. Very spacious and rather luxurious. I was in Haydock for an interview the next day and I was a little nervous about it but managed to sleep right though at night as the bed was so comfortable. The shower was probably the best I've ever had the pleasure of using and the hot water was endless!! Lovely big glasses in the bar and equally fabulous wine as well. Great location as just off the M6, loads of parking, quiet and not forgetting very reasonably priced at just £59.00 for the night (no breakfast). Wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Room was a little hot but if I'd thought earlier then it would have been easy to just open the window before I went to bed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Julia N

Firstly thank you for your lovely comments and feedback the team will be most pleased and it is great to know you had a splendid stay. I hope that you are successful with your job interview and wish you luck!

All the best

Paisley, Scotland
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed here for four nights on business last week. missed the sign as we got into Penny Lane, but turned back after MY mistake and wondered how on earth I could have missed it. It's a big place and says Thistle at the entrance. :) Carpark and exterior are immaculate, with fountain at the entrance, nice touch. Reception is welcoming and spacious. I didn't have to queue and was checked in in no time, with full instructions for my room location and hotel details having been concisely explained by the friendly receptionist. Staff on duty friendly, smiling and attentive. Just right. Room was clean, spacious, well appointed and the shower was strong. Great place to stay. TV had enough channels, wifi operates in the room if you want to stream. Heater-aircon works just fine. Staff in the corridors were polite, smiling. Staffin the bar and restaurant were smiling, friendly and attentive. Efficient, but nice with it. Euan the waiter especially good at what he does. Food was nice. Bit expensive for me but you pay for ambience, service and the overall experience rather than a burger and some fries. :) Checkout was quick, friendly and efficient. Overall...great place to stay, look forward to the next visit. Wee points that some folks may not notice... my maid obviously saw that I drink coffee with milk and sugar, so the next day she popped extra coffee sachets, milk and sugar in the tray. Same the next few days. This attention to detail pertaining to each individual customer is rare in the hotel trade. Top marks for that. Also...when I came to fire doors, I held the door open for the staff coming the other way (just like my grandma told me, when she taught me some manners)...they would insist, in a friendly manner, that I come through first. Every time. And they give you plenty space to pass too. This is obviously their training and they have taken the customer experience on board. Top marks again. Hotels rely heavily on their staff...this hotel has a good bunch.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank johndps
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your review which is much appreciated. We are all delighted that you enjoyed your 4 night business trip to the hotel and particularly pleased that you found all team members polite, friendly and efficient. I will of course ensure your feedback is shared with the staff. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Best Regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The best day of our lives! Me and my wife got married on Friday the 28th of March and we had our reception in the marquee at the hotel! Everything was absolutely incredible, we couldn't say a bad word about the hotel! Everybody who came to the wedding said it was the best wedding they had ever been to! Kathy and Lee were fantastic and so were all the staff, so professional and so welcoming! The venue looked amazing, the food was wicked and the whole day truly couldn't of been organized more to perfection. The location and the grounds are breathtaking and allowed us to have the nicest photos we could of asked for! The facilities are brilliant, the pool, the Jacuzzi, the steam room! My wife actually went for her hen doo in the spa and thoroughly enjoyed herself! The lady who does the treatments was very kind and so lovely! Not one person had a bad word to say about anything, nothing was to much trouble and the thistle hotel Haydock and everybody who was involved were responsible for giving us the greatest day of our lives and one of the most memorable weekends for us and all of our guests, and for the most enjoyable experiences we'll ever have! We would recommend this hotel to anybody! Wonderful place! Thank you so much to everybody once again! Christopher and Laura.

Room Tip: Everybody who stayed commented on the rooms, and they all said they were lovely!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Adam C, Manager at Mercure Haydock Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Hi Chris and Laura,

I just wanted to say Thank You so much for this review. It has been printed out a put up on every staff notice board we have. Kathy and Lee do such a great job looking after our bride and grooms because they both love what they do. It is fantastic to see their hard work being appreciated. I am so please to hear words like "professional" and "lovely" to describe the team here at Thistle Haydock and when you say something like "nothing was too much trouble". Well, that is possibly the best feedback you could give us.

On behalf of all the team here, I would like to wish you a long and happy marriage and look forward to seeing you back for you complimentary 1st anniversary dinner.

Chester
Reviewed 2 April 2014

What a pleasant surprise - a really great hotel. Booked a night away last weekend - welcomed by a very friendly , helpful receptionist, ordered a lovely cream tea (two are probably enough for three people!) and went for a swim in the hotel pool, and tried out the steam room and jacuzzi - great! Room very nice, clean with a very comfy bed at the rear of the hotel. Food was excellent and was served by a very pleasant watress.

Overall a lovely hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Budr32
Dear Budr32,

Thank you very much for your lovely review. Its seems as though you and your family have experienced all the leisure facilities we have to offer and we have exceeded your expectations. I am really pleased to hear your positive comments regarding our afternoon tea but most please to hear that you found our team to be helpful and very friendly. Comments like these mean a lot to us and really appreciate them. I hope that we see you back in the future, Please follow our twitter feed @hotelwedding for offers and discount.

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This is a great hotel and I was very impressed! The breakfast was fantastic! And the overall standard was very good. The staff were very natural and welcoming, The food is the restaurant in the evening was also very good. I'm trying hard to think of something negative but I cannot. Stay here!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
MissB1, General Manager at Mercure Haydock Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear ColinBurcombe
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your recent review we really appreciate it. I was delighted to read that you were impressed with our hotel and the team will be really pleased to know that you found them natural and welcoming.
We do hope to see you again soon.

Best Wishes
Kim Burrows
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haydock
Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23
Mercure St Helens
#3 of 3 in St Helens
Premier Inn Wigan (M6, J25) Hotel
Premier Inn St. Helens (A580/East Lancs) Hotel

Been to Mercure Haydock Hotel? Share your experiences!