“Decent hotel at great value”

Mercure Haydock Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Haydock
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Decent hotel at great value”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed here last week. £65 for bed and breakfast. They have a tired gym which does the job and a nice little pool. The breakfast was good as well.

For £65 you will not go too far wrong staying here. It is nice and quite and the bed was very comfortable.

Room Tip: I had 207 which although a trek from reception was very quite as it backed onto the grounds.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank KevIn W
Adam C, Manager at Mercure Haydock Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the review and glad to hear you found us to be "great value".

Adam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Indonesian first
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

i could not recommend the thistle hotel enough for weddings! me and my husband chose the thistle for our wedding on 5th July 2014. The whole wedding took part here from ceremony to evening party.
From the first day I met Kathy (wedding coordinator) right until the day of our wedding, she was perfect, nothing was to much trouble, emails would be answered straight away, no matter what I asked she was there to help in anyway she could, we got on straight away she has a brilliant personality and she is perfect for the job she does. She also gave me some brilliant recommendations for other aspects of the wedding, and in turn everybody worked together perfectly to give me and my husband the most amazing day! it could not of gone any better!
I cannot thank Kathy enough for all the hard work she put into our wedding she even did a 'sun dance' which gave us the hottest day for our big day, if you had seen the weather the day before you would not of thought it would of been possible for the sun to come out!
On the day of the wedding the staff couldn't of been better, every signal one very professional, a few little things went wrong on my behave and we had a late arrival of another company I had used, but all your staff at the thistle didn't panic they got everything sorted so I didn't need to worry, they ran everything by me and then they just went and got on with it, not once did I feel stressed or worried and the guests didn't even have a clue anything hadn't gone to plan. so I thank the staff a lot especially lee, he was brilliant always checking I was ok, and he couldn't do enough for me.
the restaurant and the marquee where just perfect, they where everything we wanted for our wedding.
the in house DJ ian was brilliant also, we didn't get to meet in person before the wedding, but on the day he was so friendly, nothing felt awkward, it was like i had known him all along, and you could tell he had listened to Kathy and read my emails thoroughly, because some of the things he was saying during the wedding where like he had known us years, he made little comments before I did my dances (I danced with my husband, my mum and dad) and explained to the guests why I did what I did during our wedding (my wedding was also a leaving party for me as I was moving 250miles away to live with my new husband 2days after the wedding) so he got really involved with us, he was just perfect, and his choice in music is brilliant :) and he would put songs on he new me and my partner liked and he would be there smiling when I looked over because he new that song would make us laugh!
All my guests have commented on the food they said it was lovely, me and my partner didn't have much, but what we had was really nice, we were so gutted we didn't eat more after our guest reviews (I think we where just so busy with guests, tummy's still knotted with nerves and excitement we didn't feel like eating) saying that once the night ended and we went to our room, once we relaxed we then ordered loads of room service and that was lovely best pizza I have ever had!
the bridal suit was lovely, so big and everything you need, so we really enjoyed our stay there, even though I did lose my new husband for most of the night as the telly in the bathroom he just couldn't keep his eyes off!! :) he now wants one!
so a big big thank you to everybody at the thistle hotel! I will be recommending you to everybody that even mentions the word wedding!
all our love the new Bricklebanks (Billy and Sophie) and all the soldiers!!!

Room Tip: iv only stayed in one room but it was perfect :)
1 Thank Sophie1574
Wow Sophie,

That's one of the best write ups we've had for a while. Thank You so much for all your comments, they really do mean a lot to us.

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed at the Thistle Hotel Haydock for a few nights in July and were pleased with our choice of hotel. To be frank, we found the approach to the hotel somewhat off-putting as we jolted over an unnecessarily vicious road hump on the drive into the car park ! Fortunately the hotel itself was much more welcoming with spacious reception area, lots of seating both indoors and outside and an attractive restaurant. There was a good selection at breakfast and we also enjoyed dinner each evening. The restaurant staff made a good impression --- every one was friendly and professional. Our room was quiet and pleasantly cool despite the warm weather. The location of the hotel meant that we could visit several places of interest, all within comfortable driving distance. Although it was only a short break, we arrived home feeling we had had a proper holiday.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear IB,

Really lovely to hear that you had a "proper holiday" when using us for your base recently. It's also lovely to hear all your position comments about the staff. Sorry about the road hump, I'll get our maintenance team to have a look at it to see if we can make it any less vicious.

Thanks

Tiverton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My 65th birthday treat was the F1 driving experience at the Three Sisters racing school and my wife and I booked for two nights B&B. Our first visit to the area and we had a very pleasant stay at Thistle Haydock. Nothing compares with the thrill and experience of the F1 day but the hotel was an added bonus as a good nights sleep was most important (our room overlooked the courtyard so we were undisturbed by the motorway). Our room had air conditioning which was a real plus as it was very warm. The breakfast was excellent and as much as you could eat. We had dinner at the hotel on both nights and had an excellent meal both times. Staff friendly and helpful. Ample parking and we had a pleasant stroll around the well tended hotel gardens each evening after dinner. Would certainly book this hotel if we are ever in the area again.

Room Tip: The motorway is close by so rooms overlooking the courtyard are quieter, but not if there is a funct...
Hi Chris,

I'll have to admit I'm a little bit jealous that you got such a fab present for your birthday. I have heard that the driving days at Three Sisters are fantastic and I am really please that they teamed up with us to offer the weekend away. Thank you for leaving us such positive feedback and Happy Birthday.

Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 July 2014

It's a long time since we have stayed in a Thistle Hotel but our recent visit to this one will encourage us to check out others in the group.
We booked in for one night en route to Is Of Man. We reckon our stay here was better than booking into a Liverpool hotel.
It offers Free Secureish parking. A very competitive price (via Booking.com) for B & B. The room we had was very clean and comfortable. We appreciated the air con. We had an evening meal which was good value for money. The breakfast was well presented and very good. The staff were very good.
What stopped the excellent mark? There were two functions on the night of our stay which provided unwelcome pumping music into our bedroom despite a closed double glazed window.
Well done Thistle!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Adam C, Manager at Mercure Haydock Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the Feedback, What a shame that we were "almost" Excellent. I think we may have a solution for that in the future if you return, As we do have some quieter rooms in the hotel that we can allocate on request. Your lovely comments about breakfast and the staff are really appreciated.

Hope to see you again

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We tied the knot on Thursday 1st August 2013 and had a wonderful reception at Thistle. All 200 of our family, friends and guests were overwhelmed by the outstanding service and warm reception that Kath Robinson and her team accorded us. They even joined in with the traditional song and dance when the bride arrived!
We put the poor chef to task with our request for authentic African cuisine and he went above and beyond his calling to accommodate us with a 3 course meal followed by an evening buffet of roasted delicacies. A feast for the Kings.
The honeymoon suite was 10/10 but the best part throughout the day was the friendly and attentive staff who made sure everyone was well catered for. Thank you so much for a memorable day that we will cherish forever.
Jack & Enid

Room Tip: The Bridal suite was awesome! The marquee and gardens in summer were perfect. I Would definitely rec...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Hi Jack and Enid,

I cant believe its a year since your wedding, I remember the singing like it was yesterday. Defiantly one we will never forget.

Thank you for sharing your positive review on Trip advisor and Happy Anniversary

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

My daughter held her wedding reception here on Friday 18th July and I can honestly say the service and attention to detail was fantastic. Kathy Kennedy saw to our every need. Food fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble for Kathy she represents your company excellently. Emily served the top table and she was brilliant; smiling and personable. My daughters feet were aching and Lee arranged for her other shoes to be brought to the top table from the bridal suite. Without a doubt one of the best days of my life. Well done Thistle Team.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan H
"Well done Thistle Team"

Sue, It's really nice when individuals get noticed and praised but its even better when someone recognises the whole team. We are a team and we all work really hard to make this place great, thank you for taking the time to give praise and Thank you to you family for choosing Thistle Haydock for your special day.

Regards

Adam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haydock
Holiday Inn Haydock M6, Jct 23
Good Night Inns Bay Horse Hotel
The Gullivers Hotel
The Gullivers Hotel
#7 of 21 in Warrington

Been to Mercure Haydock Hotel? Share your experiences!