“Nice Hotel, Appalling Restaurant”

Village Hotel Liverpool
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whiston
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Great location for business trip, easy access from Motorway, large, clean comfortable rooms, very friendly receptionist, good gym/pool with helpful staff, unfortunately our overall experience was let down by Restaurant "service" and disappointing quality of the food.

Poor waitressing, very slow at even delivering drinks. Long wait for food despite restaurant being less than 1/2 full. Duck breast was raw (not just rare!), Goan fish curry was hardly cooked and inedible (another diner sent hers back).

Unable to attract staff attention to remedy any of this- staff well practiced in the art of avoiding customer eye contact and ignoring speech. When finally waitress asked how the meal had been we explained- She told the cook who stepped out of kitchen and glowered in our direction, but did nothing. We didn't dare risk waiting another hour for an equally awful pudding!

Breakfast was a little better, but service again poor.

When receptionist asked at check-out how things had been, she did not have any thing to say when again we were politely honest about the restaurant's shortcomings.

I have no idea if there was a manager on duty, but staff clearly don't escalate issues as they happen.

I'd recommend as place to sleep, but strongly advise eating elsewhere.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms overlooking rear car park
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Sarah M, General Manager at Village Hotel Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Nic M,

Thank you for submitting feedback following your recent stay.

I am sorry that you experienced problems when dining in our Verve Grill and on this occassion you were let down by the level of service you received.

At Village Liverpool we pride ourselves on delivering a high level of customer care and on this occasion it would seem we fell short.

I do hope that this would not put you off using the hotel brand in the future. If you would like to discuss your concerns any further please contact me directly at the hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Booked a one night break on boxing day for my birthday.

Please note this branch does not have the spa or Starbucks facilities that most de veres have.

The hotel is a smaller size and located next to the m62 so good for a chill out break if travelling, not much to see or do in the area but we were just going to relax.

Although check in is 3pm we were able to go to our room when we arrived at one. We were given a standard double which was perfectly fine but we asked to be upgraded as it was a special occasion and was offered a suite free of charge which was fabulous!! Huge room with seating and dining area, plus huge, very comfy bed, a dressing table, desk and dressing table - plus walk in wardrobe and jacuzzi bath. We loved our room. Nice and quiet.
Only downside was only two jets working in bath but it wasn't a real issue. Very clean and well presented.

We had a drink in the bar and found staff very friendly and welcoming with good knowledge of the nearby areas.....I was offered a free glass of prosessco as it was my birthday which was a lovely treat. Drink prices are very expensive n my opinion but this is the same in most hotel chains.

We used the pool, sauna etc which is a good size and brilliant to chill out. Changing rooms clean and spacious. Gym area a good size also with a separate cafe area.

We ate in the restaurant at night which was a cavery style menu instead of usual menu. We really enjoyed this as the food on offer was extremely plentiful and tasty! We had soup, varied starters such as mackeral, cous cous, olives etc, a pasta station, carvery station with moist cuts of beef, turkey and pork, various deserts plus a cheese and biscuit selection! All staff were again friendly and welcoming.

we slept very well and enjoyed a self service breakfast in the morning which was a good selection again.

We really enjoyed our stay, thank you to hotelstaff who made me feel special and went out their way to make my birthday special and took an interest in us.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Housty1,

Thank you for submitting feedback following your recent stay.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that the staff made your birthday so special. I have taken note of all of your comments and passed onto my management team.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

I always think that good staff make a hotel in which case this hotel is fab!! It was my husbands suprise 50th birthday last friday and I had arranged for the family to suprise him in the evening before we all attended their Hollywood Nights Christmas Party. I booked two rooms for my sister and her partner to join us for the whole day, prior to the party and I can honestly say the staff were fabulous throughout our whole trip. They arranged a banner and balloons in his room and gave us a nice fruit bowl and choccies, and managed to allow us to get into our rooms a lttle earlier, allowing us to take advantage of the full days experience so we went for a swim in the gorgeous pool with massive clean changing rooms. Reception staff put two free bottles of champagne on our table and couldnt do enough for us. The party itself was brilliant. Good music, room to dance and no big queues at the bar. Checking out yesterday, they all knew who we were and wished us well hoping they had made our stay special. Well...they certainly had. From the Events team, to the reception staff I can only say a really heartfelt thank-you for making my husbands 50th so special. We will definatley be looking at staying there again in 2014, especially if they arrange tribute nights or dances because they were so well organised and managed.

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite which wasnt that much more expensive than a basic double and was a lovely spaci...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear KathyFaz,

Thank you for submitting feedback following your recent event and stay with us.

I am really pleased that you had such a great time and that the staff looked after you so well, something we strive to acheive for all of our guests at Village Liverpool.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

I have stayed at a number of De Vere hotels and this hotel sits in the middle.
Welcome was friendly and was allocated the correct room.

Room was nice and clean and the bed comfy. The only grip was the TV which had a rubbish selection of channels with some not working. Not an issue as the broadband speed was excellent and free, which enabled me to watch what I wanted on the Ipad.

Breakfast was excellent. Really nice bacon and sausage and a good range of fruit, yoghurt, pastries etc.

Sleep was good. Nice and quiet which was welcome although reading other reviews I was lucky there was not a party happening.

Plenty of parking and close to the motorway, however the postcode puts it on a main road which you cannot access the hotel. You need to ensure you type in the road name, not just the postcode.

All in all a good stay and would stay again.

Dear Matt J,

Thank you for submitting your feedback following your recent stay, i am pleased you had a good stay on the whole.

An update on the postcode is that we have now added further instruction, so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We booked into the De Vere hotel as a pre Christmas de stress stay, just one night after shopping in Liverpool. We were given the keys to our bedroom, which turned out to be a twin bedroom that smelt very heavily of smoke. Went back to the reception, the receptionist gave us the key to another room, telling me he had upgraded us to a King room, but I had booked a King room anyway. We ate at teh restaurant which was nice and the staff were very friendly. We retired to our room at 10 o'clock. The music coming from downstairs was deafening and we were on the 3rd floor. I phoned the reception at 11 to ask what time the disco would be finishing, I was told midnight. At 12.15 the music was still playing, and not just disco music, it was more like a rave with the DJ shouting at the top of his voice. I rang the reception again at 12.30 and was told it would finish at 1. The music was finally turned off at 12.55. This was a Thursday night, not a weekend and we weren't warned there was a party. The next morning we felt more stressed than when we had arrived. I told the receptionist that we weren't happy, the marketing manager (Sarah I think) overheard us and said she would ring me when I arrived home later that day to discuss it. I am still waiting for the phone call....two and half weeks later! The rooms are a bit tatty, the staff need to be wearing smarter clothes, especially the receptionist and I would never stay at this hotel again. Not worth the £80 we paid. Terrible.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Safireillusionists

Dear Safireillusionists,

Thank you for submitting your recent feedback. I am sorry that on this occassion your stay did not meet expectation and you experienced the problems detailed.

At Village Liverpool we take all of our customer feedback very seriously and if you would like to discuss this further, please contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Considering the fairly high tariff this hotel is just average and really requires a refurb. Admittedly it's close to the motorway and a short drive from the city but hovers between a two and three star rating. A big put off was being served by kids in jeans in the restaurant - sorry if I want to eat in a burger bar I'll go to Burger King.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor as it's quieter
1  Thank 338deAshton
Sarah M, General Manager at Village Hotel Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Dear Brian R,

Thank you for submitting your recent feedback following your stay with us. I am sorry that on this occassion we did not meet your expectations on standards and service and that the uniform was not to your taste. I will be sure to feedback all comments with the management team.

If you wish to discuss anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel directly.

Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Rooms felt tired. Certainly need updating and modernising. Facilities good - pool etc. restaurant fully booked so ate in pub. Food ok there. Breakfast very good in morning. Overall 6 out of 10. Rooms and exterior of hotel need improving to make hotel much better. Staff excellent on reception, in restaurant and housekeepers also very good.

Stayed: December 2013

Dear MartynNicRuby,

Thank you for submitting your recent feedback. I am pleased that overall your stay with us exceeded expectation, I will be sure to feedback to the staff.

We are currently undertaking a process of modernisation across the hotel, something I am confident will be able to further improve guest satisfaction.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whiston
Suites Hotel & Spa -  Knowsley
The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes
Holiday Inn Express Liverpool-Knowsley
Hampton by Hilton Liverpool/John Lennon Airport
Travelodge Liverpool Stonedale Park
Village Hotel Wirral
Village Hotel Wirral
#1 of 3 in Bromborough

Been to Village Hotel Liverpool? Share your experiences!