“Probably worth giving a miss”

Village Hotel Liverpool
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whiston
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Below par for a de Vere. Cold room and public areas, TV not working, bedside light not working, really uncomfortable bed, food distinctly average and generally lacking in atmosphere. This is the first de Vere property I've stayed in where I'd definitely not return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah M, General Manager at Village Hotel Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear jpmHuddersfield,

Thank you for submitting feedback following your recent stay with us.

I apologise that the hotel unfortunately did not live up to expectation in line with previous experiences of the brand.

If you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel and I will be happy to talk through those concerns raised.

There are newer reviews for Village Hotel Liverpool

Reviewed 8 January 2014

5 course meal, wedding singer type entertainment, no worries about travelling home, breakfast made for you in the morning, use of the pool, Jacuzzi etc. Much better than a night out in town for couples. And the fact that entrance fees and taxi fares are no longer part of the cost means it isn't that expensive comparatively. One thing I would say is that they should take it back downstairs to the function room (as in previous years) rather than have it in the restaurant area (where you feel as if you are a little bit round the corner from everything) other than that, a great evening with all the usual down sides to N.Y.E not an issue

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Daveollie,

Thank you for submitting your recent feedback following your stay with us on New Year's Eve.

I am pleased that you had such a pleasant stay and we do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We decided to stay here as part of a package for the new year celebrations. 5 course meal and a room for the night £250 seemed fair enough.

We were booked into a king room, and were disappointed to find it was two single beds pushed together! Room was clean and modern, TV etc although the remote control didn't work even after new batteries but no big deal. Then we had children all afternoon and evening kicking and banging on all the doors constantly in the entire floor. Was reported to the front desk twice but nothing was done. We counted about 12 times are door was kicked and knocked on.

The only reason I give it 3 out of 5 was the food. It was fantastic and the service in the grill bar was first class. Breakfast in the morning was buffet style and I would recommend it.

Overall a good new year and great food but was let down by constant harassment in our room and lack of security at the hotel to stop this from happening. Would have to give serious consideration about staying here in the future. There is a premier inn in Rainhill which is a short drive and would have to recommend that over staying here.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear psteer,

Thank you for submitting feedback following your stay with us on New Year's Eve.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the evening and the staff made the stay for you. I am sorry however that due to the hotel being so busy with party guests; your sleep was disturbed.

I have fed back all comments to my management team to action moving forward. If you wish to discuss anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Great location for business trip, easy access from Motorway, large, clean comfortable rooms, very friendly receptionist, good gym/pool with helpful staff, unfortunately our overall experience was let down by Restaurant "service" and disappointing quality of the food.

Poor waitressing, very slow at even delivering drinks. Long wait for food despite restaurant being less than 1/2 full. Duck breast was raw (not just rare!), Goan fish curry was hardly cooked and inedible (another diner sent hers back).

Unable to attract staff attention to remedy any of this- staff well practiced in the art of avoiding customer eye contact and ignoring speech. When finally waitress asked how the meal had been we explained- She told the cook who stepped out of kitchen and glowered in our direction, but did nothing. We didn't dare risk waiting another hour for an equally awful pudding!

Breakfast was a little better, but service again poor.

When receptionist asked at check-out how things had been, she did not have any thing to say when again we were politely honest about the restaurant's shortcomings.

I have no idea if there was a manager on duty, but staff clearly don't escalate issues as they happen.

I'd recommend as place to sleep, but strongly advise eating elsewhere.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms overlooking rear car park
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Nic M,

Thank you for submitting feedback following your recent stay.

I am sorry that you experienced problems when dining in our Verve Grill and on this occassion you were let down by the level of service you received.

At Village Liverpool we pride ourselves on delivering a high level of customer care and on this occasion it would seem we fell short.

I do hope that this would not put you off using the hotel brand in the future. If you would like to discuss your concerns any further please contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Booked a one night break on boxing day for my birthday.

Please note this branch does not have the spa or Starbucks facilities that most de veres have.

The hotel is a smaller size and located next to the m62 so good for a chill out break if travelling, not much to see or do in the area but we were just going to relax.

Although check in is 3pm we were able to go to our room when we arrived at one. We were given a standard double which was perfectly fine but we asked to be upgraded as it was a special occasion and was offered a suite free of charge which was fabulous!! Huge room with seating and dining area, plus huge, very comfy bed, a dressing table, desk and dressing table - plus walk in wardrobe and jacuzzi bath. We loved our room. Nice and quiet.
Only downside was only two jets working in bath but it wasn't a real issue. Very clean and well presented.

We had a drink in the bar and found staff very friendly and welcoming with good knowledge of the nearby areas.....I was offered a free glass of prosessco as it was my birthday which was a lovely treat. Drink prices are very expensive n my opinion but this is the same in most hotel chains.

We used the pool, sauna etc which is a good size and brilliant to chill out. Changing rooms clean and spacious. Gym area a good size also with a separate cafe area.

We ate in the restaurant at night which was a cavery style menu instead of usual menu. We really enjoyed this as the food on offer was extremely plentiful and tasty! We had soup, varied starters such as mackeral, cous cous, olives etc, a pasta station, carvery station with moist cuts of beef, turkey and pork, various deserts plus a cheese and biscuit selection! All staff were again friendly and welcoming.

we slept very well and enjoyed a self service breakfast in the morning which was a good selection again.

We really enjoyed our stay, thank you to hotelstaff who made me feel special and went out their way to make my birthday special and took an interest in us.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Housty1,

Thank you for submitting feedback following your recent stay.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that the staff made your birthday so special. I have taken note of all of your comments and passed onto my management team.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

I always think that good staff make a hotel in which case this hotel is fab!! It was my husbands suprise 50th birthday last friday and I had arranged for the family to suprise him in the evening before we all attended their Hollywood Nights Christmas Party. I booked two rooms for my sister and her partner to join us for the whole day, prior to the party and I can honestly say the staff were fabulous throughout our whole trip. They arranged a banner and balloons in his room and gave us a nice fruit bowl and choccies, and managed to allow us to get into our rooms a lttle earlier, allowing us to take advantage of the full days experience so we went for a swim in the gorgeous pool with massive clean changing rooms. Reception staff put two free bottles of champagne on our table and couldnt do enough for us. The party itself was brilliant. Good music, room to dance and no big queues at the bar. Checking out yesterday, they all knew who we were and wished us well hoping they had made our stay special. Well...they certainly had. From the Events team, to the reception staff I can only say a really heartfelt thank-you for making my husbands 50th so special. We will definatley be looking at staying there again in 2014, especially if they arrange tribute nights or dances because they were so well organised and managed.

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite which wasnt that much more expensive than a basic double and was a lovely spaci...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear KathyFaz,

Thank you for submitting feedback following your recent event and stay with us.

I am really pleased that you had such a great time and that the staff looked after you so well, something we strive to acheive for all of our guests at Village Liverpool.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

I have stayed at a number of De Vere hotels and this hotel sits in the middle.
Welcome was friendly and was allocated the correct room.

Room was nice and clean and the bed comfy. The only grip was the TV which had a rubbish selection of channels with some not working. Not an issue as the broadband speed was excellent and free, which enabled me to watch what I wanted on the Ipad.

Breakfast was excellent. Really nice bacon and sausage and a good range of fruit, yoghurt, pastries etc.

Sleep was good. Nice and quiet which was welcome although reading other reviews I was lucky there was not a party happening.

Plenty of parking and close to the motorway, however the postcode puts it on a main road which you cannot access the hotel. You need to ensure you type in the road name, not just the postcode.

All in all a good stay and would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Matt J,

Thank you for submitting your feedback following your recent stay, i am pleased you had a good stay on the whole.

An update on the postcode is that we have now added further instruction, so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Sarah McNally

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whiston
Suites Hotel & Spa -  Knowsley
Mercure St Helens
Mercure St Helens
#3 of 3 in St Helens
Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport

Been to Village Hotel Liverpool? Share your experiences!