“Good, but marked average because of the rating limitations”

Master Robert Hotel
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Hounslow
Gravesend, United Kingdom
“Good, but marked average because of the rating limitations”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

It is certainly not a high-end hotel but more a motel complex comprising several separate blocks. I would guess that the rooms might vary depending in which block it is situated but our room (007 on the ground floor) was sizeable, clean and comfortable, and although nothing elaborate it represented good value for people travelling on business or those going on to Heathrow (although you need a taxi from the hotel as there is not airport transfer). For two of us the room cost £65, which included a full English breakfast with a good selection, and as such we thought good value for money. We booked in advance direct on line, which may be a little cheaper than going through agencies, and definitely a lot less than just turning up and paying the prices displayed. We did not have a car, but for those that do it costs £5 to park, but the parking is right outside the room and secure, and it is refundable if you have a meal, so this is also good value (particularly if travelling with luggage).

The reception staff were friendly and helpful, both on arrival and departure. There is a bar and restaurant, which we didn’t use as there is also a more basic but less expensive pub next door which serves more down to earth pub food (for example, fish & chips, scampi & chips, sausage & mash, burgers & chips, curry & rice etc.) at very reasonable prices (my chicken & mushroom pie, chips and peas cost £6. Not the best or most generously filled pie I’ve ever had but quite acceptable, particularly at only six quid!) It also serves decent ale (usually London Pride but this time Courage Best, plus a guest ale) whereas the hotel bar does not, only offering Guinness, lager and cider. However, it is a more basic pub used by locals (darts, pool, TV screen with football when it’s on) and may not suit everybody.

The early morning noise of aeroplanes depends on which approach and runway is being used (and the wind factor). On this occasion we didn't hear any, although when we used this place a couple of years ago we did, so it's pot luck.

Unfortunately the TA rating of Average seems to cover anything from uninspiring but passable (i.e. slightly above Poor) to Good (slightly less than Vary Good). We thought it good, but as it’s not up to the Very Good rating it has to be marked as average, although we would have no hesitation in staying again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This hotel is excellent! The one thing that I feel I should emphasise is the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, particularly at reception.. The location is very convenient close to Liverpool st which was great as we were flying in to London Stansted..

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Mother's Day lunch was booked for our family of 8 at master robert in hounslow.
As soon as we walked in the restaurant to announce our arrival to the waitress she didn't greet us let alone make any eye contact. A smile would have been as hard as retrieving blood from a stone. If I had known that this would be the beginning of a downward spiral I would have turned around and left at that precise moment. Yet I gave her the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe she's just having a bad day and maybe the waitress will be pleasant. But what did I know?! The waitress was worse. She started to take our order for drinks and if you have kids you'll understand how many times children change their minds. My 9 yr old son changed his order of coke to lemonade. This was received with a roll of eyes! I couldn't believe my eyes! Was this actually occurring!? Yes it really was!!! I let it go. Why? Because my mum was with us and it was her special day and didn't want to ruin it for her. So, just thought let it go. Yet if my mum hadn't been there I would have got up and left immediately. Drinks were brought to the table. We were left seated for about 30 minutes without any hint of her returning to take our orders. She would walk by the table without even glancing at us. In the end we got her attention. She took orders for starters yet this proved to be very difficult again. She told us that we were confusing her and tutted and shook her head. I was beginning to feel the anger inside me rise but again...bit my tongue. When ordering the main course she did the same. Tutting and rolling her eyes as the kids couldn't make up their minds and changed their order to a different dish. To say that she got irritated would be an understatement. Yet if you are serving a family with children is it not given that children do change their minds again and again. Why was this so unbearable for her? Not once did she smile at any of us. We felt we were a burden on her. I felt like I'd asked for one of limbs when I asked for some mint sauce!! Anyhow story goes on and this is the icing on the cake...my son had ordered the salmon and when it came out there was hollandaise sauce poured all over it and my son does not eat sauce of any kind! I reluctantly and to be honest slightly afraid at this point to dare to bother her for anything asked if she would kindly remove the sauce. She rolled her eyes and stormed off with the plate. My son looked like he was going to cry because she had not even reassured him that she would remove the sauce she just took off with his dinner. During dinner there were several occasions that she could have stopped by the table and asked if we needed anything. We were sat next to the kitchen entrance. But did she stop and do any service checks? Not once. We were not asked once if our food was to our liking or if we needed anything. As you can probably guess we did not leave a tip. My sister got up to got to the bathroom and saw the manager on her way and mentioned to him that we were not happy with the service but he just seemed indifferent and said he'd speak to the waitress. Did we believe that? Not in a million years.
The whole service team were walking around with the most grumpiest of faces I'd ever seen. We had the worst Mother's Day of all time. My mum bless her had been looking forward to this day for so long and it was all ruined. So my sister planned to take our mum out again for Mother's Day and promised to make it special this time. We have just come back from afternoon tea at the Dorchester as we felt we had to compensate for her horrible experience at master robert. And I am so pleased to say that she had the best day ever. We were given the BEST customer service experience we've ever received. Master Robert maybe you could learn something from the Dorchester. I highly recommend it. We won't be coming back there.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Nanorahul
netivot
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed here due to its proximity to airport and friends. 2 mile walk to local tube then 40 min ride to central London. The receptionists were extremely helpful and friendly. Rooms were average nothing fancy but clean and comfortable. No noise from aircraft in rooms and parking right outside room which when you have several heavy cases is big advantage. Charge of 5 pounds a night for parking is reasonable as all hotels in London charge between 10 to 20 pounds a night. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice. Restaurant in evening is excellent. Big plus was the room for storing cases after you have checked out and before flying which enabled us to visit London without leaving cases in car. Disadvantage no in room safe. Would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leanneNetivot
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We chose this hotel because it is located quite close to the airport. And this is probably its only advantage. The rooms are average, the staff is average, the cleanliness - well, it's below average - we met a rat on the pavement in front of the building.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed here on Saturday 1st March for 1 night with a group of 6 lads for cup final at Wembley. I found the hotel to be very clean and nicely decorated. It is on the Heathrow flight path but the noise of the planes was never a problem. Double glazing in rooms so hardly any noise at all.
The staff were very polite and nothing was a problem. The breakfast for £10.95 was I thought a bit steep but couldn't complain about the food, plenty of everything and as much as you want. There is a £5 car park fee which you can redeem when you pay for a meal, so why people complain about this charge is beyond me, your car is parked securely for £5.
Overall, I found it ok for the price and would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
UK BIRMINGHAM
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

What can I say room was comfortable and clean bathroom could so with a update and especially the shower which is over the bath.
Ideal location if travelling to the airport which is not that far away.
Not to happy with paying the £5 charge for parking on their own premises which is a rip off.
Breakfast was ok buffet style their was plenty of choice available.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business