“The "hotel" should be shutdown”
Review of Shalimar Hotel

Shalimar Hotel
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Hounslow
Reviewed 10 November 2010

I wish the person in my company who had booked the hotel for the two weeks we stayed there had read the reviews before booking us in there. When i first arrived the staff member was very welcoming passed me my key directed me as best he could to my room. As i got to my first room i stayed in, i put the key in to the lock turned it and the whole lock moved. When i went to ask the receptionist if he could send someone to the room to fix it, i was told someone would look at it in the morning. Less than half an hour later i was sitting in my room which was approx 4 ft wide by 6.5ft long with a little corridor to the door. the gentleman from the room next door entered my room with the key for his door. When i informed the staff they still said they would look at it tomorrow morning. I ended up fixing the lock myself. As for the room its self the walls were caked in dirt and stains, the bed covers looked like they had never been cleaned, the remote for the tv didn't work, the tv itself wouldn't change channel and the kettle lead didn't reach the socket which made boiling water impossible as the kettle stand was fixed to the wall. The shower was the only thing in the room that was to some sort of standard what that standard is i wouldnt know. i would like to mention there is a tescos 10 minutes away were you can buy bin bags to sleep on as i ended up doing. Before i left that week i told the staff i would like to be put in a different room as i didn't think the room was of a reasonable condition. The next week i was put into a double room which was a type of chalet room just above the function room. The room itself looked alot better than the first room apart from the same grotty type of furniture, there was a cushion on the bed which when i picked it up disintegrated. That evening around 7 pm the was a function going on the music was extremely loud so much so that i couldnt even hear the tv which id turned up to full volume at around 11.20 the music was still full blast i went and asked the staff what time the party would finish i was told 12.30 which was fine the actual time was 3.00am we were told they had a function on thursday so we stayed longer on site to finish the job we were doing just to make sure we didnt have to stay there any longer.

I would also like to add that a week after i got home my partner and i started to notice insect bites all over our bodies we got pest control in and it turns out we have bed bugs considering that is the first hotel this year ive stayed in with work i do think that this hotel has a bed bug problem

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
5  Thank NeilFyfe

Reviewed 31 August 2010

We booked this hotel at the last minute, knowing it wasnt going to be 'great' but we at least expected it to be CLEAN! It was so dirty, I was scared to hang my clothes on anything.
The table was badly marked and sticky, the carpets not much better and the walls were covered in drips/splashed fingerprints, spilled tea/coffee.
There was only ONE towel for the two of us. Not even a single hand towel in the bathroom, just one bath towel.
The advert stated free WiFi - there was no free wi fi whatsoever! We were freezing cold in the night as we didnt dare put the coverlet up it was badly stained and smelly.
Also the shower is very small, ideal if youre under 5ft4, I'm 5ft 6 and had to stoop to wash my hair.
Our room was very noisy as there was a function on and a lot of staff were milling around/yelling outside our window, obviously theres plane noise too which one would expect as its under the Heathrow flight path.
Breakfast was a funny affair, cook your own toast (no probs there) help yourself to tea/instant coffee/juice, the cooked breakfast wasn't very nice, but to be fair staff were really friendly and helpful
All in all, the place is filthy, noisy, the area not so desirable, parking round the back is good as its free.
And if you're white be prepared to feel like the total minority that you are there.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Opprobrium
Reviewed 19 July 2010

The website is luxurious and the receptionists were friendly. But they need to wash the linens and renovate the rooms. I had a problem closing the door when i left the room, as I need to slam the door behind me as no handle to pull it close. Need a map for directions as to where the rooms are. I am sorry but I could not recommend this to my friends. Good thing about it..........you can have a toast as much as you want!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank adventurerDorset
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Stayed there for one night for a visit to Twickenham for the rugby and will certainly consider it again next time. For £45 pounds for the night in London I didn't think it was too bad.

It wasn't the most luxurious place we've stayed in but it did appear to be in the process of being re-furbished. It is under the flightpath for Heathrow depending which runway is in use so can be noisy so pack your earplug

The staff were friendly and helpful but we didn't make it up in time for breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stone_Kicker
Reviewed 27 May 2010

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, but the good review stops there.
The rooms were furnished with very worn furniture. Couldn't hang any clothes up for fear of the wardrobes breaking! The head board wasn't attached to the bed and so banged against the wall at the slightest movement. We had to pull the bed away from the wall to stop this, which in turn resulted in a poor nights sleep because the pillows kept falling off the bed. Very noisy as the walls are paper thin, we could hear everything going on in the room next door to us. We chose this hotel because it said it was near to Twickenham and we were there for the 7's tournament which ran all weekend. Breakfast was a heart attack on a plate, all deep fried, so after one day we skipped it. Room service consisted of the hotel staff banging on the room door until we answered at 8am to ask if we wanted clean towels??!! The room wasn't cleaned the 3 nights we stayed, and I doubt it was before hand either if the dust on the bed was anything to go by. The hotel had a wedding booked in for the Saturday, which they failed to inform us of beforehand. The whole hotel smelled of curry for the duration of the weekend in preparation for the wedding. Not as close to Twickenham as the website suggests either, what should have been a 20 minute walk, turned into an hour, and taxis aren't cheap either. £12 for a supposed 2 mile trip, would only have cost about £4 up north! It was extremely hot the weekend we stayed, and there was obviously no air con, but we couldn't have the windows open for breeze due to the smell of food and the noisy construction going on right behind the hotel. In comparison to the price, I didn't expect a 5 star hotel, I did expect some grottiness, but not to this level. £65 per night is not cheap when you consider the state of the place. I've stayed in better b & b's in Blackpool for half the price, and thats saying something! This hotel should not advertise itself as a hotel, because it clearly is not. It'd be put to much better use as a halfway house, but then again it wouldn't meet the standard of room and building requirements for that!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NicWalLowe
Reviewed 12 April 2010

This hotel is on the flight path for one of heathrow's runways. It hasn't been decorated for some years. The furniture is like what you would find in a grotty bedsit. This hotel is in definite need of a refurbishment. Wasn,t that cheap either. Should be rated 1 star.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank maidmarrion_10
Reviewed 28 October 2009

This is a terrible hotel and terrible people to deal with that just dont seem to care about there customers. I got charged twice for one night and a month later (and emails and calls later) my money has not been refunded. Should have been free to stay there because it was so dirty and horrible. Also it is nowhere near the airport cost me 50pound in a taxi.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends