“Well worth the price”

Sofitel London Heathrow
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Hounslow
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 December 2011

We had an overnight at the Sofitel as we had a flight the day after our arrival. Fortunately, both our flights were from Terminal 5 so the Sofitel was a logical choice as the walkway from the terminal to the hotel is enclosed so guests are not exposed to the weather. The hotel's design is intriguingly modern. The staff at our check in were both friendly and efficient, checking us in and reserving a table for dinner in the restaurant. Our room was comfortable, modern and we liked the touch of finding electricity sockets to fit both British and American plugs.
The restaurant was exceptional, with a menu that would be a credit to a Michelin starred restaurant. All in all, I would happily recommend the Sofitel to anyone who appreciates quality and comfort.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (11,867)

Reviewed 17 December 2011

I really like this hotel (with some caveats) and am sure to use it when I am overnighting at Heathrow, seeing as it is ideally located for T5, being only a covered walk away from the terminal.. I have stayed here 6 or 7 times over the last couple of years or so..

I find the staff to be generally extremely friendly and very helpful (there are exceptions, as there are wherever you go, but, to be fair, I have had only a few exceptions at this hotel)..

Rooms are well appointed with all the usual amenities that you might expect.. Comfortable bed.. Nice ambiance.. Good bath/shower room.. Nice touch is the absence of a mini-bar, leaving the fridge (with two fee bottles of water) for you to stock yourself...

I have not used the bars and restaurants much (see caveats below)

Caveats.. yes..

a) Anything extra can be pricy.. drinking in the bar, eating in the restaurants (or rooms service), an internet connection (really should be free everywhere now).. all come at a price.. and, because of this, I often feel like I am a captive credit card for them.. I find better value using the facilities of the airport terminal next door..

b) Rooms rates can vary a great deal.. I have found the rate to vary by more than a hundred pounds per night for the same room.. I appreciate that occupancy rates might dictate some of this but, really, we should get a more constant (and fair) approach..

There are many good points to this hotel but these two stop me making this a 5 out of 5.. I did wonder if they should drop the "score" to a 3 but I think that would be a tad unfair.. so 4 it is..

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 December 2011

This high-end hotel is ideally suited for stop-overs in London if you are flying in an out of Heathrow's Terminal 5. If you are flying out of one of the other terminals (e.g. Terminal 4) it is a free airport shuttle (not a hotel shuttle) or a 17 pound sterling taxi ride. If you have luggage, a taxi is preferred especially if you are an early morning traveller. There are other hotels better suited for the other terminals....

The hotel itself is lush, new, clean, spacious and very well appointed, although extras (e.g. parking, internet) will cost you dearly. Also, the on-premises dining, though high-end, are also very, very pricey.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Airport hotels - you know the deal: they're convenient, but you have to put up with noisy neighbors racing up and down the runway - not just the constant roar of jets overhead but the deep bass rumble.

Except if you stay at the Sofitel at London Heathrow T5 - which is a great complement to a really excellent airport terminal. The hotel's soundproofing is so good that you'd be forgiven for wondering if all flights were cancelled. It's also much more convenient than those chain hotels along Bath Road since you don't need a shuttle bus - just the Heefrow Excess (as in excessively expensive) to T5. It's a free transfer from T1 too...

Mind you, at GBP 6 for a pot of tea, the sound of silence doesn't exactly come cheap ...

Room Tip: Some ground floor rooms have windows looking into public areas, so ask for a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We stayed here with our 1yr old at the tail-end of a business trip with an early-morning flight the next day. The service, rooms, meals, staff were all excellent, and exactly what one would expect form such a highly valued brand name. We had particular good service from all of the staff members, as we had several requests and requirements and needed their help. Very happy indeed.

The only downside (and the reason from only giving 4 stars) is that we had pre-payed the rooms - and after we had left our credit card was charged for some additional expenses (meal, etc) but no receipt was ever emailed to us. I requested this to be sent on several occasions, but after several months there has still been no response.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Stayed at the hotel for one night recently. Staff were very helpful and friendly. As this was our first stay we were offered a complimentary upgrade. Room lovely - modern and very comfortable. Didn't hear any Airport noise for the duration of our stay. Would strongly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2011

The hotel felt like it was brand new, modern clean and fresh. Check in went well and I was sent off to find my room, the hotel has an interesting layout and it took a little bit to work out where the room was, I also noticed 2 other people walking back and forth trying to find their room. The room was very nice and a great size, the room was very clean and everything you needed was there. I met a friend for some drinks at the main bar which was fine and the staff there was extremely pleasant and offered a good selection of beer and wine at normal hotel prices. We later had dinner in the restaurant which was also good, the food was well presented, arrived in good time and tasted good although I would say over priced for what you receive. The service in the restaurant was also great. I had an early flight so ordered room service for breakfast which was very nice and offered a great selection of breakfast items. My wakeup call came 10 minutes late which was a surprise thing to happen at an airport hotel but it was OK as I was already up. Check out went smooth but seemed to take a long time considering I paid for everything the night before to avoid any delays. The hotel is great, clean, modern and good service although I did get the feeling it was overpriced for what you get even if it is an airport hotel located within walking distance to T5. I would return based on the high quality of the room.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hounslow
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
2 mi away
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 4
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport

Been to Sofitel London Heathrow? Share your experiences!