“Disappointed”

Sofitel London Heathrow
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Hounslow
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This was my 3rd stay at the Sofitel Heathrow. I have stayed at many Sofitel properties around the world, and have always enjoyed their outstanding attention to detail and the way that their staff go above and beyond expectations. Sadly I found myself rather disappointed with this most recent stay. Staying in a hotel that is connected to Terminal 5 is wonderfully convenient and that cannot be beat. But there were several events during my stay of which I would have expected better from the Sofitel brand.

(1) We had requested a room with a view of the runway. Calling ahead the morning of our arrival to see if our room was ready, we were told this wouldn't be a problem and it was noted in the reservation. Upon arriving at our room, we found it had only an interior view of the atrium. It was disappointing that the front desk agent did not take note of this request in the reservation and assign us that particular room type, or at least tell us that it would not be possible.

(2) The American electrical outlet in the room did not work, so we were unable to charge our devices without the use of an adapter.

(3) I used the automated system to book a wake up call for 6am. Later, I called back to change it to 6.45am. My call was answered by the front desk, who told me they would take care of it. Instead of being woken up at 6.45am, a wake up call came in at 5.45am, followed by another at the time of the original request at 6am, followed by a third call at 6.45am.

(4) I called to request an extra pillow and some extra toiletries. Waited an hour and nothing. Called again and was told someone would be right up. By the time they finally showed up an additional 30 minutes later, I had already gone to bed.

(5) As an Accor platinum member, we were told that we would receive free internet. The hotel offered a basic low-speed service at no charge for everyone, and a high speed service for an additional fee. I called down to the front desk to ask which service the platinum members were entitled to. The agent didn't know and said she would have to call back. She called back 15 minutes later and told us to select the paid high-speed service and then the charge would be credited back to our bill. We used express checkout the next morning and returned home to find the charge had been billed to our credit card. I am currently waiting for this to be adjusted.

I don't consider any of these events to be major catastrophes - it's just that I am surprised they happened with the typical high level of training and quality usually found in the Sofitel brand.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank KC305
SofitelT5, General Manager at Sofitel London Heathrow, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Guest,

First and foremost please accept my sincere apologies for the number of shortfalls in service you received and that you overall satisfaction with our hotel has been affected.

There is obviously some need of corrective training in the departments you have mentioned and I would like to investigate the matters you have raised personally with our Front of House Manager to ensure that there is no repeat of the experiences you encountered.

At you earliest convenience please email Vikramjit Singh on Vikramjit.singh@sofitelheathrow.com so we may obtain further details from you and to also ensure that the correction on your invoice in rectified,

Once again, Please accept my sincere apologies for the service you received and I hope that we are able to restore your faith in our hotel on your next visit.

Sofitel London Heathrow Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (12,167)

Reviewed 23 May 2014

To be honest, I was a bit gutted that we were only here for one night. This is a great hotel. It's modern, clean and has the best location. On arrival we were upgraded for free, which was a huge hit for me. Our room was modern, fresh and clean. I loved the bathroom and the shower was one of the best I have been in. We had cocktails in the bar and a lovely meal in the restaurant. Even though we only live an hour from heathrow, I would find a good reason to stay here overnight again next time we fly from terminal 5.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah T
SofitelT5, General Manager at Sofitel London Heathrow, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor,

I am delighted to read that you find us to be a fabulous airport hotel and that you had such a memorable stay with us.

It is pleasing to read that you found our rooms modern, fresh and clean and you enjoyed your dinner in Vivre and cocktails in our bar,

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel London Heathrow next time you are flying from Heathrow.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

...with a captive market of business travellers or families staying overnight before catching an early morning flight.

Obviously the hotel is convenient, being the only one directly connected to terminal 5. The rooms are comfortable (although the design of the showers leaves a lot to be desired), and the public areas, bars and restaurants well appointed. But beware if you plan to stay the night when there is a major event taking place in the hotel. The night I stayed, a PGA dinner was being hosted, and it seemed to have taken up the majority of the bar staff. I waited to be served for over 30 minutes at the only open bar (the other was dedicated to the PGA)! One would have thought that the management would have planned in advance and hired in extra staff, but not so!

And when I checked out at 4:30 am the next day, my bill for extras was over 3 times what I knew I had spent. After a lengthy discussion (which you really need at that time of day), it transpired I was being charged for drinks I had never even ordered.

So be careful - double check your final bill, even at 4:30 in the morning!

Room Tip: When making the reservation, check there is no major event being held on the same night.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Geoff G

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read your comments with regard to our room, public areas, bars and restaurants which you found all well appointed.

Please accept my sincere apologies as I was concerned to read of your experience in our bar, there is no excuse for having to wait 30 minutes to be served and then embarrassingly on your early departure your bill was incorrect, I would like to investigate this further and identify where more corrective training can be given to the individuals, at your earliest convenience please contact our Food and Beverage Manager Globy Ouseph on globy.ouseph@sofitelheathrow.com so we may obtain further details from you and to also ensure that on your next visit you have a more memorable stay for the right reasons.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused to you and I hope that we are able to restore your faith in our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed at the Heathrow Sofitel prior to a flight the next day inclusive of car parking. The hotel is ideally located to walk to T5 via an enclosed walkway in only 5 minutes. Handy for early morning flights. The hotel is smart, modern and spotless with friendly, helpful reception staff. The room was comfortable, quiet with toiletries and tea and coffee making facilities. We ate in the open kitchen restaurant. We found the food delicious with good service in pleasant surroundings. The Sofitel gave us a lovely start to our holiday and as the receptionist had pre validated our parking ticket, we didn't have to return to reception on our return, meaning we were soon on our journey home. We will definitely be using this holiday again. PS You can get good rates inclusive of room and parking through HolidayExtras.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us,

I was delighted to read your comments and that you had such a memorable stay with us prior to your holiday, I am thrilled that you enjoyed the hotels facilities, Vivre restaurant and the service from our reception team.

For guest convenience, for any park and stay packages we validate the ticket whilst checking in for when you return to avoid guests having to come back to reception to do this.

Thank you for your loyalty with our hotel we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed briefly at this hotel on a ten hour layover. The hotel offers a day rate, with checkout by 6pm. This is a very quiet hotel, with good facilities. It is connected to Heathrow Terminal 5 via a series of tunnel walkaways; about a 5-10 minute walk in all from arrivals. The design of the hotel is spacious and bright and the rooms are in excellent condition with a high quality finish, comfortable beds and blackout curtains. The room numbering system is unusual but clear directions to the room are given at check-in. There is a gym and spa, although I did not use these. There is an iPhone and other mobile device charging system near the meeting area, which I was grateful to be directed to.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable time with us whilst on a layover at Heathrow.

It is pleasing to read that you found the hotel spacious and bright and the rooms in excellent condition and overall a excellent option for Heathrow Terminal 5.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel London Heathrow in the near future.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is a review of the Vivre restaurant at the Sofitel; if I were to review the hotel overall, my review would be equally positive.

I reviewed Vivre two years ago and thought it offered excellent quality for the price. The convenience goes without saying. Now, I think it still offers excellent food and has improved a great deal in its service (which was not bad before, just improvable, and improve it they did).

The food has not changed much. Vivre offers a wide variety of choices, including a few interesting Indian and Thai dishes and several unusual (some would say weird) pizzas. I especially recommend the curries. I had the Thai green curry with chicken. My partner had the Scottish beef burger with soft fried egg and chips. As a starter we shared one order of the pan-fried calves liver with crispy pancetta and apple red wine jus; this was good, but really too small to be split. There is a small but good selection of wines by the glass, in two sizes. We had the Malbec, which was very good.

There seemed to be more serving people this time, and they were very attentive and friendly.

All in all, it seems to me that Vivre is just what you want after a day of travel: good food but not extravagant, a comfortable and welcoming environment. And you’re willing to pay a little extra for the convenience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank canadensis

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant Vivre following your recent stay at the Sofitel London Heathrow.

It is pleasing to know that overall you find our restaurant excellent quality and you found the service attentive and friendly.

I will share your comments with the Vivre Team who will be delighted to know that you had a memorable evening.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel London Heathrow in the near future.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Nothing beats having a good nights rest before a long journey. Located in Terminal 5, this hotel is super convenient and offers nice amenities such as a spa and good restaurant. I was too tired to go to the restaurant, so I ordered room service and it was delivered quickly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com
1  Thank ls1126
SofitelT5, General Manager at Sofitel London Heathrow, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Guest,

I was pleased that you had a good night’s rest before you’re onward journey and you were able to use and enjoy the hotels facilities including the Spa and room service.

I hope you had a pleasant onwards journey and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel London Heathrow in the near future.

Sofitel London Heathrow Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hounslow
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
2 mi away
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 4
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport

Been to Sofitel London Heathrow? Share your experiences!