“Solid 5 Stars - but only when the service matches the setting and interior”

Sofitel London Heathrow
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Hounslow
GreenLeadersSilver level
Durham, United Kingdom
“Solid 5 Stars - but only when the service matches the setting and interior”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

BA or Iberia travellers using Terminal Five at Heathrow probably pay more for an easy life by choosing to stay here. The location - adjacent to the concourse - is unbeatable, especially when you're tired or getting up early. The hotel itself is sleek, chic and comfortable, but previous reviewers have noted that the ambience and amenities are not always matched by the discreet, confident and effective service one might expect at a Five Star price. There was no recognition of our Club Accor account on this occasion. On recent stays the desk staff have been friendly enough but they have also seemed inexperienced or even nervous about their own business processes and protocols. There is quite a bit of anxious and protracted screen staring, typing and conferring with back office colleagues, during which the guest is left waiting and wondering if everything is in order. This has happened at both check in and check out. A house rule banning luggage trolleys is very strange for an on-terminal property. Breakfast is disgracefully overpriced when non-inclusive room rates are booked, especially as child prices apply only up to the age of 11. The breakfast here is fine, but no more special than at nearby three and four star hotels, and a continental breakfast certainly doesn't warrant an extra £79.80 (that's an eye-watering 99 EURO or $135) for a family of two adults and two children over 12. The hotel is very pleased with itself and it charges high, but it could learn from establishments around the world about consistent excellence, staff initiative and anticipating the needs of the guest. Fair pricing for quality received also engenders true loyalty, but perhaps airport hotels can afford to be more predatory and a little less concerned about repeat business? One definite 5 Star attribute, however, is the quality of the beds and bedding. Sleep was blissful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank EngliShisha
SofitelT5, General Manager at Sofitel London Heathrow, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay with us,

First and foremost please accept my sincere apologies as I was concerned to read your comments and experience with our service and front desk.

I will be sharing your comments with our Front of House Manager Vikramjit Singh who will brief his team during the daily handover to ensure that all of our front desk team and especially our new employees are fully aware of the standards which are associated with the check in process.

Due to heath and safely reasons airport luggage trolleys from the airport are not permitted up on the floors or in the rooms, our porters are able to assist with luggage to and from the room. We do have airport trolleys for guests which are available next to the reception desk when heading back to Terminal 5.

I appreciate your feedback about breakfast charges; we do regular competitor checks in the local area to ensure that our prices are in line with other similar establishments and we do have many packages online some of which include breakfast.

On a positive note I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the quality of our beds and bedding and you had a blissful night’s sleep.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Sofitel and restore you faith in our hotel and for you to experience our usual high standard in the near future.

Sofitel London Heathrow Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,461)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Devizes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

A great hotel with walkway to terminal 5, reasonable value for money given high standard of hotel, great breakfast and engaging staff. A major drawback for me is you need to pay to use the very small pool, there is a gym which is okay. Easy parking at the hotel. Ask for an upgrade as the exec rooms are nice. No mini bar which is strange.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank paulbe39
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to read your comments and that you enjoyed the ease of our car park, service and breakfast in Vivre.

Our Spa facilities are complimentary should a treatment be booked, should guests wish to use just the facilities there is a discounted rate of £25 per person which will give full access to the spa facilities including the Hydro Pool, Sauna, relaxation lounge and steam room. Our gym is open 24 hours and is complimentary to all guests.

We do provide complimentary still and sparkling mineral water in all our in-room fridges, mini bars are stocked from our Junior Suites upwards, if guests would like there mini bar to be stocked please request this at time of reservation or at check in.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel London Heathrow in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

You cannot beat this hotel for a short Heathrow stopover. We had a flight from Sydney and wanted a one night stay, and it is perfect for that. Good room, and an okay restaurant.
My problem is with a staff member who told me my credit card had been declined, wrongly and, loudly. She advised me to contact my bank. At the beginning of a six week European trip, you don't want to hear this. A fifty pound phone call to my bank in Australia told me there was no problem - could it have been operator error? It was - and there was no apology for the issue. All the other staff were great. Everyone makes mistakes - but it's how you respond afterwards that counts. Sofitel failed here.
Would I stay again? No. Wrong attitude to customer service.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank teachers_on_tour
Dear Guest,

First and foremost please accept my sincere apologies for the embarrassment and inconvenience caused to you following your recent stay with us,

There is obviously some need of corrective training and I would appreciate it if you could kindly at your earliest convenience contact our Front of House Manager Vikramjit Singh on vikramjit.singh@sofitelheathrow.com so we may look into your comments further and speak to the individuals involved to prevent any re occurrence in the future.

I hope we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel and to welcome you back to the Sofitel London Heathrow in the near future.

Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed at Sofitel Heathrow for one night and a conference, and have somewhat mixed feelings.

Pros:
- Good food, great variety
- Rooms are comfortable

Cons:
- Service is patchy at best. I was checking in at 1 am, they told me the wrong room number (also writing it erroneously on the key clip), I almost woke up a guest. Going back to the reception, they were not apologizing, just assured me that "no problem". Well, to me it was a problem. In the morning another receptionist did not find my fax and refused to even believe in its existence until I have shown an email confirmation as a proof. Then they somehow found it. On the other hand, they very kindly lent me a UK-Europe adaptor
- The place has zero personality and soul. Which I guess is not a disaster for an airport hotel

Overall it is OK, decent value for money but nothing more than that.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
SofitelT5, General Manager at Sofitel London Heathrow, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay with us,

I was pleased to read you praise for our restaurants and the rooms which you found comfortable.

Please accept my sincere apologies as I was concerned to read of your experience whilst checking in and the way your situation was handled with our Front Desk, I would like to look into this further and I would appreciate more details from you so we may conduct corrective training to the individuals and to ensure that you have a more memorable visit on a future stay. Please email our Front of House Manager Vikramjit Singh on Vikramjit.singh@sofitelheathrow.com at your earliest convenience.

I hope we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in us and welcome you back to the Sofitel London Heathrow in the near future.

Tulsa, Oklahoma, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

After staying many times around Heathrow, we found the Sofitel. It's connected to T5; nicely appointed; great service. The rooms are absolutely quiet. Great connections to London. Makes my London stays much more enjoyable. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
g the time to review our hotel following your recent stay with us,

I was pleased to read that we make your London stays much more enjoyable when staying with us, we do have a great location being linked to Terminal 5 as guests can access the Terminal and other transport links including the London Underground, The Heathrow Express and the Bus station in a matter of minutes.

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel London Heathrow in the near future.

Sofitel London Heathrow Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hounslow
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 5 Hotel
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport

Been to Sofitel London Heathrow? Share your experiences!