“Service exceeds design”

Sofitel London Heathrow
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Hounslow
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Stayed for a day and the hotel delivered everything we could have hoped for and it just kept on getting better and better. We had previously stayed with Hilton for our annual holiday to the states. Having said that you would know that it is a long trip, but what the hotel had accomplished to do was the fact that it felt more like I had already begun my holiday. Because of the remarkable service I have decided that the Sofitel is way ahead of what we had previously used for our transit flights.
Don’t get me wrong when I compliment the service more than the modern design and the practicality of the hotel building itself. Mentioning the overall design one thing that I think would have made the hotel function better would a few extra elevators; it took us a while before our family could get a chance to get in the elevator but at no point did I mind waiting as one of the concierges who was helping us with our bags was charming enough to keep my wife`s and kids attention diverted and why wouldn’t he was from the great state of sunshine Florida (usf).
Come to think of it I did observe that the hotel is quite multi cultured as there are people from all over the world working for Sofitel. The whole experience has definitely made me consider Sofitel to be one of the best airport hotels in the world.

1  Thank eric00687

Reviewed 4 August 2009

Yes, the location couldn't be better for a layover at Heathrow, and the rooms meet Sofitel's usual high standards. But our family of four was still disappointed:

First, the website advertised that available amenities included a sauna, steam room, and jacuzzi. However, the website does not state that there is an extra charge for guests to use these amenities! We were quite surprised when told that each member of our family would have to pay 25 GBP to use these facilities. Needless to say, we chose not to pay such an exhorbitant fee, especially when we had been led to believe said amenities were included in the already-high room rate.

Second, a wedding party was taking place the night we stayed, and loud music could be heard (and felt) throughout the hotel for much of the night. The front desk should have given us rooms further away from the noise rather than just one floor above.

Third, we were given only two bath towels in each of our rooms, with no hand towels and no washcloths. We had to use the floor mat as a hand towel.

Fourth, eating breakfast in the Vivre Restaurant was like eating in a high school cafeteria. The space is horrendously noisy and utilitarian. I literally had to argue with the maitre d' to seat us in a quieter corner (I am deaf in one ear and am extremely sensitive to noise in the other.) When he finally acquiesced, the maitre d' actually tried to hide my husband and me behind a column so that other guests would not see us!

As for the food, after paying 22 GBP for each of our four family members, we found the food to be cold, poorly cooked, and of a very limited selection. We had to get up and go in search of wait staff to order coffee and tea. All in all, the breakfast experience was incredibly under par and disappointing.

Because of this negative experience, we will be extremely hesitant to stay at Heathrow Sofitel in the future, despite its great location.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2009

I guess the title says everything,
My husband and I decided to stay here as we had an early flight out of Heathrow the following day. We really didn’t expect such a beautiful hotel: modern, full of architectural details, comfortable, sparkling clean and with very pleasant people working at the registration desk.
The restaurant was very good too, and the menu had a large variety of international dishes!
It’s just a 7 minute walk from Terminal 5, and one can take the airport cart all the way into the hotel lobby, which is very convenient.
If anyone needs a hotel near the London Airport, I wouldn’t blink an eye to recommend the Sofitel Heathrow – Terminal 5.

Reviewed 2 August 2009

We recently enjoyed a brief stay here on a layover. The hotel is very modern and is in a great location (especially for those using T5). The room was good - nice & quiet, and the bed especially was very comfortable - a good nights sleep ensued!. We tried one of the in-house restaurants (called Vivre) for dinner and found the food to be tasty (the open kitchen means you can see the chefs cook your dinner freshly in front of you!).
All of the hotel staff were polite & helpful, but a special mention must go to Tim (the concierge) who couldn't do enough for us and we thank him for helping make our stay so enjoyable...

2  Thank typerman
Reviewed 1 August 2009

Have stayed at the Sofitel T5 a few times. Great location for catching a morning flight.

This is a very difficult review to write. There's nothing particularly bad about the hotel, but nothing particularly good either. It's an above average airport hotel, run by a good brand. The building itself has no design merit, surprising considering it's next to T5 (which is an architectural triumph). Looks very flimsy - a bit like it's designed to last only a few years.

The reception area is huge, and typical Sofitel modernist. Checking in is a bit like a supermarket checkout ("next please..."). Staff clearly get on-screen prompts to acknowledge return stays, but they manage to sound slightly surprised. Make sure to get a room to the left as you enter the hotel. The function rooms are to the right, and are very loud. On our first visit we had to request a change of rooms because of the thumping noise of music.

Rooms are standard Sofitel (meaning very comfortable, big bed, great bathroom with good toiletries). Flat screen TV and plenty of space to put your suitcases. Airconditioning is very effective, but a bit difficult to get warmer than "very cold".

This hotel is difficult to get excited about, but very comfortable and excellently located. Will continue to stay here. Wouldn't pay full price though. Look out for Early Booking specials.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SussexCpl
Reviewed 29 July 2009

I will definitely return to Sofitel....so convenient for the Terminal. However, my reason is actually more based on the great customer service I received. I had booked on line, (with the hotel itself), and received a very favourable rate, which was supposed to be "No changes / no refunds". Well, my mother became ill during my stay in England and I needed to extend my stay and change my stopover date. Although I wasn't expecting to be able to make any changes, I nevertheless called the hotel direct and explained the situation. To my surprise, the young man changed the date for me at no extra charge and even added that he hoped my mother was OK. He was very nice and very professional. Upon arrival at the hotel, my room was upgraded and I was very pleased with the room . As other reviewers have mentioned, the beds are incredibly comfortable, as is the chair/ottoman! My only little criticism would be that the hairdryer is located in the desk drawer, fixed in the drawer and on a very short lead, so it is very difficult to actually style one's hair! Some friends joined me for drinks in the bar later and we had a lovely evening. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Beautiful - and the most comfortable beds you will ever sleep in... LOVED it. Also five minutes from Picadilly Line into London. Was fantastic, and business centre was first rate.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hounslow
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 4
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport

Been to Sofitel London Heathrow? Share your experiences!