“Lovely Hotel: Bit pricey though!”

Sofitel London Heathrow
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Hounslow
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 November 2009

Had originally booked The Thistle - Bath Road Heathrow as we had stayed there previously,however it involved getting the bus to and from terminals thought we would try here and take out the hassle. We paid £189 + breakfast per night through Holiday Extras.
We flew down from Newcastle arrived at terminal 5 and walked through arrivals accessed the lift and we were in The Sofitel. There was i bit of a walk to get to the reception desk
. We were greeted immediately and sent on our way to our room. I had seen photos of the type of room so knew what we were getting and it did not dissapoint. Our room looked onto the multi storey car park however the windows seemed dounle glazed and we were not disturbed The room was modern and smart albeit a touch small.The beds were top notch and the bathroom was delightful. We heard very little noise from the aircraft.
We ate at one of the eateries after we arrived called Tea5 ( I think) this served us soup coffee and victoria sponge cake it was very nice although it came to £30. We ate at Vivre for our evening meal and you get to watch the chef's prepare your meal , we had steak and potato which was very nice however we got 2 small bowl's of spinich and cold mixed veg , which we later found out they cost £3.50 each...whoa ! All in all with the 12.5% service charge ( London rip off ) we got no change out of £65. What the heck we were flying out on holiday the next day !
We had breakfast also in the same restaurant the following morning and it is buffet style and the food was of very good quality.
We had to be at Terminal 3 for our flight to SanFrancisco so it was a 5minute walk to the Heathrow Express a further 3 minute train ride and we were there. Much easier and relaxing than having to wait for the Hoppa bus !
All in all we had a pleasant stay at this hotel however we thought it was a touch pricey, the hotel was spotless and service was excellent. Having said that we have stayed at The Hilton Gatwick last year and felt the experience was better than here.
Would westay here again......................... ? Yes i think we would however you might find us eating out of the hotel instead !

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (11,877)

Reviewed 10 November 2009

The new Sofitel Heathrow is reached from the new Heathrow Terminal 5 by a covered walkway. It's a luxury hotel although I got a substantial discount from the rack rate through Travelocity, paying $201.43 per night for a single on three non-contiguous nights. This did not include breakfast which cost $38 extra for a substantial buffet. The stylishly furnished room had a comfortable double bed and was well lighted. An innovative feature was an electronic connection block at the desk which included a USB port to connect laptops and other equipment that are charged through their USB port. The staff at the registration and concierge desk and in the bars and restaurant were very friendly and helpful.
The newness of the facility meant that there were a few minor flaws in the infrastructure. For instance the receptacle for electric razors in the bathroom was a sham that did not accept a plug. Although the staff were very helpful and inviting, the approach from Terminal 5 was definitely not with a long bare passageway ending in an undecorated entryway leading to the elevator which drops you off in a bare section of the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank rratney
Reviewed 4 November 2009

We stayed at the Sofitel Hotel in Terminal 5 in Heathrow the night before leaving on an early morning flight. My husband had booked the stay online and then had confirmed that we had an interconnecting room for our children the day before we stayed. The hotel was nice and new, but the staff member on reception were less than helpful. they could no longer offer interconnecting rooms and wanted me to pay another £50 to get a family room. I phoned my husband who had done the booking and he eventually got through to reception and eventually sorted out the problem. However, it took over an hour to check in at 8.30pm with a very tired 4 and a 6 year old. The hotel is expensive and in the end when the invoice arrived as we did the quick check out they had added another £100 to the bill! The room was nice, comfortable and very well equipped but for a big hotel it was dissapointing service.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2009

Super posh hotel located brilliantly in Terminal 5. Fast track to every where in every mode of transportation.

Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lerandia
Reviewed 31 October 2009

I stayed one night at the hotel and was extremely impressed with check-in and with the room and all of its furnishings. The room was most comfortable and spotlessly clean.
I'll definitely be staying here when I'm next staying at Heathrow.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank firtreecott
Reviewed 30 October 2009

Returning from a vacation on the European continent, I had a layover of slightly less than a day in London and decided it would be best to stay at Heathrow airport to make it easier to catch my flight home the next day. I originally booked a room at another hotel on the airport but during my flight in, I saw an advertisement for the Sofitel in an in-flight magazine. I decided to check it out and see if they could offer me a competitive rate.

Adjacent to Heathrow’s Terminal 5, the hotel is attractive and new (only open about 18 months). The gentleman at the desk offered me a rate that was only £7 more than the “discount rate” I’d been offered at the other property, and checked me in even though it was well before noon. I canceled my other reservation and checked in to the Sofitel.

I was very glad I did. My room was modern but in an elegant way. It had all the amenities we’ve come to expect today in similar properties: hairdryer, iron and ironing board, safe, desk/work area, and a large flat screen TV. The bathroom was a pleasant surprise, featuring both the deep European tub and separate shower. The only thing missing was an in-room minibar, but the hotel bar was so convenient and convivial that it hardly mattered.

After a whirlwind trip into central London for photos of the Abbey Road zebra crossing, lunch at the venerable Rule’s Restaurant, a meeting nearby, and nighttime shots of the London Eye, Big Ben, and Piccadilly Circus, I was more than ready to return to the Sofitel.

Depositing my gear in my room, I repaired to the Sphere Bar for a couple of glasses of wine and some nibbles. SOME nibbles; no mere “pub grub” here! In addition to the snack of mixed nuts, pretzel bites and Wasabi-coated crunchies that the bartender brought immediately, I enjoyed appetizer-sized dishes of prawns with tonkatsu sauce, and roast figs in a honey, lemon, and thyme syrup. Outstanding!

Accompanying the great food was some good conversation. Unlike many establishments, the bar staff at the Sphere Bar actually took the time to chat with me (and several other fellow travelers). High marks there.

Back in the room, I watched the plasma TV until drifting off in a comfortable bed covered by a very cozy duvet.

The one minor glitch involved Internet access. I purchased an iBahn Internet access card that provided 90 minutes of on-line access with the presumption that I could use some of the time now and some later. Too late, I found out that I could not; I could only use the card for a single session, no matter how little of the 90 minutes it consumed. I should have been advised of that limitation going in.

Checkout the next morning was smooth and, given the hotel’s convenient location, I made my flight with plenty of time to spare. If your travels take you to London or through Heathrow, I highly recommend the Sofitel….and, of course, snacks at the Sphere Bar!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank TheTravelPro_us
Reviewed 30 October 2009

Stayed prior to trip to Budapest (flying from Terminal 5). Couldn't fault hotel staff, cleanliness, restaurant and spa. A thoroughly excellent way to start a 3/4 day trip. Used park and fly which didn't add much to the cost of an overnight stay. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hounslow
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
2 mi away
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 4
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport

Been to Sofitel London Heathrow? Share your experiences!