“comfortable stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
UK
“comfortable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

Just the job. Calm, efficient, luxurious hotel. Ideal for an overnight stay before or after a flight. Location excellent for T5 arrivals and departures. Dinner at Brasserie Roux was fine, but rather expensive for what we had.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,462)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2010

a) Check-in and Check-out staff were prompt, friendly, and efficient.
b) I do not dine at the restaurant any more since the service was unfriendly and very poor during my first stay at this hotel.
c) The room was clean, including the rug, on this stay but the rugs and the bathroom (toilet seat was not clean, shower floor and walls and hair) were dirty during my previous stay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Olathe, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

I stayed at the Sofitel LHR for one night when transiting - checked in around 7pm, checked out around 7am. The purpose was simple - some dinner, some sleep, and that's it. With that in mind, it was perfect.

Check-in was quick, but later I saw a massive line form, I imagine it took at least 10 minutes at that point for a simple check-in. Directed to my room on the far end of the hotel, I was surprised to see how few rooms actually looked outside - mine being one of them, thank gosh! Most rooms appear to overlook internal courtyards, which is fine if you're just trying to sleep, but if you plan to spend any time in the hotel, it can be annoying I must say - especially at that price!

The hotel is very quiet. My room overlooked the takeoffs and never heard a peep of jet noise. The room service was very quick and, considering the very high room cost, was affordable (in the say that a Sofitel restaurant can be affordable), and very tasty. TV choices were many, and the beds were fairly comfortable. One issue I read before was the shower - certainly an issue! You cannot put the towel on the floor outside the shower door without it being pushed aside when opening said door, resulting in a wet floor. Someone was clearly asleep at the wheel when they designed that bathroom.

Otherwise a very nice hotel and location is second to none if flying in/out of T5! Even other terminals...I flew out of T3 and it took about 20 minutes to get there using the free Heathrow Express (but I didn't have much luggage to carry around).

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2010

A very disappointing and expensive night in a show-off hotel that pays little attention to some of the things that matter most. After queueing for nearly 20minutes to check in I was allocated a room on the 3rd floor. The room looked out over an indoor concourse with the not-very-exciting view of people trundling up and down escalators. The window could not be opened even a small amount. For this reason the room, although big and brash and superficially luxurious, actually smelt stale and stuffy. One reason for booking was because I wanted to use the spa but it was shut at 21:00h, something not apparent from their website. I then ordered a room service meal hoping for something fresh and light but my vegetable curry was heavy and mostly comprised bread, butter, fried poppadoms and rice. After that I got a phone call from reception who had forgotten to take my credit card details: "could I return with my credit card to pay for my room service meal". Overall a triumph of (rather crass) Business-Style over substance.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank ProfChristine
SofitelT5, General Manager at Sofitel London Heathrow, responded to this review, 23 November 2010
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Sofitel London Heathrow. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and that we incorrectly contacted you regarding your room account.

Like you I dislike any long queue, and your stated 20 minutes would be most unacceptable. It is something we work on daily; we have a large fully staffed team and have opened further check-in zones recently including a dedicated area at our Club Millésime for guests in Luxury rooms and Suites. I believe we generally manage this very well however with sometimes 500 check-ins in a day we can get a peaks that results in delays. It is our constant focus to work in different ways to manage this and I am sorry that you were not welcomed in a much reduced time.

The Spa is open from 8am until 9pm daily and it is recommended to book in advance although we usually have space for treatments available on the day.

Regarding the views in the hotel, again you are correct the majority are of internal Atriums. These spaces have been designed for this purpose and the hotel has 32 full size internal trees to help with the different vistas. As we are so close to the Airport we could not build a tall building allowing all external views. However the advantage we do have is silence, something that cannot be achieved at this location with opening windows. Our Air-conditioning is individual units incorporating a fresh air intake to allow for the closed windows. I am unable to affect change in this matter but believe that we have struck a good balance.

I have noted your comments on the room service menu and as we redevelop this next year we will incorporate your feedback.

Thank you again for informing me of your feelings. Should you be returning to the hotel in the future please do let me know at Vincent.Madden@Sofitel.com and I will personally allocate your bedroom and assure you have a comfortable stay.

Yours sincerely

Vincent Madden
Evesham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2010

Had 1 night here before flying out of Heathrow.

Superb, friendly staff, very clean and new with a bit of a wow feel about the place.

Arrived very tired so just stayed in room all night, very comfortable, room service was great and the bathroom ticked all the box's. Wish we had the time and money to try out the spa!

Yeah it's expensive, but if you want comfort before / after your flight and and a short taxi ride to your terminal then its worth the extra money.

Will be my 1st choice the next time I fly from hethrow for sure!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2010

on a recent short break to london we decided to stay close to the airport instead of central london, this new hotel is in terminal 5 with easy and free train transfer from terminals 1,2 and 3 was perfect. this hotel has all the mod cons that you would expect from a new hotel but much more, bose music systems, flat screen tv (one in the bathroom !!), sound proofed rooms, luxury bedding and fabulous Hermes toiletries. Rooms are tastefully decorated and spacious. A good choice of eateries, we had a late lunch in Tea 5 and dinner in The Roux Brasserie, both fantastic. The Roux Brasserie was particularly good, we loved the French style decor and food was fab. Had a pre-dinner drink in their new Club lounge, really comfy. Did'nt have time to use their Espa spa but did have a quick peep and it was really impressive (maybe next time). would really recomened this sofitel hotel, easy travel on the tube in and out of london and only 20 minute drive to Windsor. looking forward to planning our return trip, P & E, Dublin.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hounslow
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 5 Hotel
Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport

Been to Sofitel London Heathrow? Share your experiences!