“Great food, Very friendly but Shambolic service”

The School of Spice
Ranked #2 of 27 Restaurants in Shepperton
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Great food, Very friendly but Shambolic service”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My wife and I visited the School of Spice restaurant last Saturday. It is an atypical Indian restaurant regarding decor. Situated in an old school house it is plain but modern with a nice atmosphere. The staff, of which there are many, are friendly and helpful and the food is delicious . . . when it arrives.

We were sat down by one waiter, offered drinks by another, and again by another, and served with drinks by another. The waiter (yes another) who took our food order offered helpful suggestions with our choices. There are many, too many, willing staff. But here lies the problem. No-one seems to be in overall charge of events. Our food took about 45 minutes to arrive, but when it did it was lovely.

Our table was cleared by yet another waiter and the bill requested of another. After waiting a further 30 minutes and after several attempts and reminders to this waiter, we eventually left our table and went to the bar to get the bill, where there was another customer enquiring where their food was. We found that our bill hadn't been prepared and we had to re-cap what we had had. We were however, and without asking, given a discount, which was a nice gesture.

When we left we noticed a driver leaving with take-away orders. Could this be what's impacting the restaurant service? We felt that the staff were all doing their best but also trying to do too much.

None of this would not stop me from recommending it though. It was all in all quite entertaining in a way. Great food and service providing you're not in a hurry.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank slagiatt

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love this place”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The School of Spice is great all round - lovely staff, lovely food AND a good price.

It certainly seems to have dropped its price in the last few years as I remember going with my family when I was younger and it was pretty pricey. Either way, it's great value for money now, and top quality Indian food, with friendly staff and a nice atmosphere.

Thanks guys :)

1 Thank Rosie C
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I recommend this restaurant. The negative remarks here are surprising”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We found the staff very helpful. We appreciated the staff's friendly and attentive, yet respectful, service. This contrasted positively with UK's central London blight (sullen-ness and lack of eye contact). The atmosphere inside The School of Spice restaurant Shepperton was so more relaxing than that in the loud neighbouring pub (where-in obtrusive music offends the ear). I and my partner enjoyed our two mid-week evening meals, finding the food very tasty and more distinctive (flavour-wise) than very many others we have been to. When I had chosen which dish, the head waiter (having described helpfully the ingredients) was able to require the chef to add more sauce for me.

1 Thank Garr U
middlesex uk
“Worst Indian meal ever!!!”
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Worst Indian meal we have ever experienced, burnt food. No customer service, when you tried to explain the problem. Did not get round to dessert. They thought taking £3.00 off the bill would be a gesture of goodwill. Last place we would recommend.

Shepperton, United Kingdom
“not so good last time!”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Having visited this restaurant many time in the past, always enjoyed the food and cleanliness together with the service. But not so at the last visit....food was really good etc. but this time the familliarity by a couple of the staff (we were a party of 6 ladies) was quite frankly an embarrassment. I would not choose to visit again without male friends. Really I should have complained at the time but was too upset....even though we still left a tip!

• Visited June 2013