“Nice location on the river - food just about OK”
Review of Thames Court

Thames Court
Ranked #17 of 27 Restaurants in Shepperton
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Thames Court in Shepperton is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is a nice old pub on the river at Shepperton which seems very popular with families. We went there for Sunday lunch with a large party and found the service quick and friendly, unlike other reviewers. My problem was with the food - pretty ordinary all round and they seem to give you quantity rather than quality. On Sunday, they have a menu largely of roast meat with all the trimmings (including enormous Yorkshire puddings), so if you are looking for something vegetarian or light this is probably not for you. To be fair, they have a children's menu and an extensive separate gluten free menu, which is pretty good for a place like this. The puddings were all huge portions, including the ice cream, so if you have a light appetite I would steer clear of dessert. OK but nothing special.

2  Thank Susan8552
General Manager A, Manager at Thames Court, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2017

Hi Susan,

Thank you for leaving us your feedback. Have you heard about our recent makeover? We have made lots of changes and would love to see you back and hear your thoughts. See you soon!

Reviewed 22 August 2014

After checking the latest reviews I was worried about returning, but it is a favourite of my mother's so the three of us (including the better half) set off with an open mind. On arrival about 12:30 the car park was very busy and inside there were not many tables free however we were shown to a table straight away. The staff took our orders for drinks and meals within 10 minutes or so. I can agree with other reviewers that a couple more waiting staff would be welcome but if the pub was quiet the extra expense could not be warranted, perennial problem for all eating establishments. Our drinks arrived promptly and after about 15 minutes the main courses came. My wife and I had the Hunters Chicken which was very good but the star meal was my Mother's plate of Fish and Chips. Large portion of fish in crisp thin batter which my Mother said was the best she has eaten. Two deserts of Eton Mess and Honey Yoghurt were excellent and large portions. Staff appeared stressed when we arrived but got better as the meal went on. Overall my doubts were expelled and we would return again.

Hi Nautique,

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I have eaten in this restaurant this evening with family. Since eating our meal I have looked at the reviews and see they are very mixed and quite poor. Our experience was good we all enjoyed our meal . We had starters mains desserts and coffee . I would describe it as fairly good pub food . Not the best I have eaten but certainly not the worse.service was good our waitress Jess was very much on the ball and very pleasant . Over all a good experience.

2  Thank JeanEllen2013

Hi,

Reviewed 8 August 2014

The venue is in a fabulous position adjacent to the Thames and Shepperton Lock.
We went back to this pub after a poor experience last summer when six of us waited over two hours to get our food at lunchtime and we ended up having free meals as we waited so long.
Last Thursday four of us tried again. This time it was a beautiful day (and there had been many such) so it was no surprise the pub was busy. We arrived early and sat outside only to find there was no service for all the 20 or so tables outside.
We had to walk inside with our menus to join a queue to order drinks and food. We then were presented with 8 glasses for wine and water, an ice bucket, wine and left to carry it all out ourselves without the offer of a tray.
A man at an adjoining table with two young boys was unable to go and order because the staff would make no concessions and he couldn't leave the boys on their own. He had to wait 30 minutes for his friend to arrive.
As we we were the first to arrive for lunch at 11.50 we were aware that there were a lot of cigarette butts on the floor which was poor.
The food was acceptable and the tables were promptly cleared but at the end of our lunch we had to go and join another queue to pay the bill.
Another example of poor management, lack of customer focus and staff resources?
Have a drink but think twice before eating there.

2  Thank RichardSurrey20
General Manager A, Manager at Thames Court, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2017

Hi RichardSurrey20,

Thank you for taking your time to leave us a review. We are excited to let you know we've had a makeover since your visit and we would love to see you back to try us again. Please don't hesitate to leave us some feedback afterwards as we are constantly looking to improve our offer and service to meet and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Been down to this pub/restaurant many times in my life, with mixed experiences. The service for food inside is generally okay, before you would have to go up and order but now inside waitresses serve. The restaurant is nicely kept inside, and the food is very good.

I am however, unimpressed by the amount of times that I have been here in the summer months with there constantly being a big queue for drinks at the bar, no matter what day! I went last night for a few drinks with my friends, and the queue was almost out of the door! There were quite a few staff members inside behind the bar, but many of them didn't take any notice of the queue! And they say that unemployment levels in this country needs tackling?! Hire some more staff!

Other than that, the outside seating is really good, and a nice setting by the river is probably one of the only factors that draws me back to this place.

3  Thank Alex G