“Old favourite refurbished”

Ranked #22 of 27 Restaurants in Shepperton
Price range: US$9 - US$16
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are proud to be the first Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery in Surrey. Serving delicious Freshly prepared Carvery roasts & hand spun Pizza's made using our fresh, daily made dough, we would love to see you soon. Working in the local area, or dropping off the kids at school, we open for Breakfast 7 days a week at 8am, with our unlimited Breakfast buffet just £4.49
Christchurch, United Kingdom
“Old favourite refurbished”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We have been occasional eaters at the Goat for several years now and only once have we been able to fault the food. Our most recent visit today backed up our opinion that The Goat is one of the better carveries in the area. The service is great (although we were sad to hear that Sue, our favourite waitress, had retired) and the food well above average. The recent refurbishment has not altered the friendly but efficient service.

1 Thank BobSavage18

Sunbury, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We went here for a meal recently and were really disappointed with the food. The vegetables were either hard or overcooked.

1 Thank jenni703
Staines, United Kingdom
“The carvery - a great idea”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The idea of the carvery is very similar to ideas such as communism and capitalism - it looks great when written down on a piece of paper in the cold light of day. After all, everyone likes a roast Sunday lunch - succulent meat, roast potatoes, steaming vegetables, gravy swimming around the plate - it just can't fail. So why do restaurants which essentially supply Sunday lunches all week round never quite come up to the mark.

The Goat is a nice place. We turned up at around 1735 on a Sunday evening, expecting it to be busy, and it was. 20 minutes wait we were told, which wasn't too bad, so we had a drink at the bar whilst waiting. We were given a small disc shaped object which looked remarkably like the spaceship on the cover of the ELO album "Out Of The Blue", and were told it would bleep when our table was ready. And it did ! - dead cool.

Four meats available, loads of veg, two types of gravy - things looked promising. But then the old carvery shortcomings, the ones that no carvery seems able to solve, reared their heads.Meat portions - not that generous and not that hot. Veg - enormous variation, roast potatoes quite hard, some other veg overcooked, but some were fine. Gravy very hot.

The staff were good and the decor of the place was fine. A pleasant place to have a meal.

What's the answer to the carvery conundrum ? I don't know, and greater culinary minds than mine have no doubt bent their wills towards solving the problem. We may well return to the Goat, but there's a way to go before it's like a real Sunday lunch.

1 Thank Steve C
Staines
“Late Visit.”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Visited late and expected tired food and service but not so. Fresh vegetables were being brought out and the lamb and pork as good as it gets. Friendly helpful service and all for excellent value. I am a regular and will continue to be so.

2 Thank Bajohnny
London
“Beyond dreadful”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I was taken there for my birthday lunch. My parents had been on a prior occasion and enjoyed the meal. I should have run for the hills when my mother announced that the cabbage was overdone as she always gives hers a good couple of hours to get going. In a nutshell the food was disgusting. They had two pieces of beef on the carvery. One was so dried out it wasn't even recognisable as beef and I said I would sole my shoe with it and the chef replied he wouldn't give it to the dog (incidentally his chef whites were grey), the pumpkin squash had not been peeled, most vegetables had been scrubbed but they were not at all good and the cauliflower looked grey, no accompanying sauce. The pork had no browned crackling, it was white and rubbery looking but the turkey did look nice so I should have gone with that. The beef I did have was overcooked but edible (the other piece was not). We ordered our drinks before we ate prior to lunch, in fact we'd had my parents go to the carvery first and then we followed after so it took some time for us to finish our meal and only after we'd finished did our drinks arrive. We had the sticky toffee pudding for dessert (out of the microwave but nevertheless quite acceptable), they were out of coffee so no chance of that. We waited a further 20 minutes for the bill. At that point I requested to see the manager. I told him precisely what I've written here, he was apologetic but I think he was genuinely mystified about our complaints. He wrote off the bill (which was not our intention) and although he invited us to return; wild horses would not get me back there. This is a lovely little pub and it's a crying shame that they produced such a truly dreadful meal. I can only hope that standards will improve in the future.

• Visited July 2014