“Excellent” 4 of 5 bubbles

Castello Restaurant
Price range: US$12 - US$31
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: This restaurant is now closed.
County Wexford, Ireland
“Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

This is a great Italian style restaurant with a warm friendly atmosphere. The food is lovely as are the staff. I can wholeheartedly recommend this eating establishment.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
david c, Owner at Castello Restaurant, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Dear TKLireland, Thank you for your generous comments. Our aim is to offer a warm and friendly service in a relaxed atmosphere, together with excellent quality home cooked food. It would appear that we ticked all the boxes and look forward to seeing you again sometime soon.

London
“PERFECT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

My wife and I took my Pops and Stepmom for lunch to celebrate their 70th birthdays (OK, I'm 47 but still call my dad "Pops"). The restaurant is beautifully decorated and clean. It was not busy, only the 4 of us and 3 others, but we had such a lovely time. Our waitress (Jo), was absolutely lovely and couldn't do enough for us. The food was beautifully presented and excellently cooked. I can definitely recommend the mussels starter. I had pecan pie for dessert, and apologise for not finishing it - I'm not a sweet person, normally having cheese (which by the way, my pops could not finish as it was huge). Nice touch was Jo bringing out balloons and music "happy birthday" for our two special people. I am so glad I took a punt on "Castellos" after reading mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, and all I can say to those people that have left such derogatory reviews is where do you normally eat - KFC, McDonalds etc etc etc

3 Thank Nigel C
Dear NigelC, Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review after your birthday meal on a Saturday lunchtime. We are pleased to hear that you all enjoyed the occasion and you were well looked after by "Jo" our waitress. We pride ourselves on offering a personal service to all our guests - and hope that every customer leaves having enjoyed the quality home cooked food and excellent service. Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.
Cobham, United Kingdom
“Second time back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I visited back in Feb when the restaurant was fairly new. I came again last week with my family. Atmosphere was great along with a superb service and fantastic food. The restaurant was packed and they even had a fire going which made the restaurant feel very cosy. Good little childrens menu and lots of various different dishes on the main menu!

1 Thank Abent100
Dear Reviewer, Thank you so much for taking the trouble to write a review. It is great to have customers who acknowledge and appreciative everything that we are trying to achieve -which is good service and quality food at reasonable prices, in a warm and friendly atmosphere. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
“Unfortunately nothing special...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

We were very excited when found this very pleasant restaurant in a nice location and within walking distance from home. But were disappointed with the food and wine... I think this restaurant would benefit from a good italian chef.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NailyaB
david c, Owner at Castello Restaurant, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Dear Reviewer, we are sorry that you were recently disappointed with your food and wine. It is difficult to respond in any detail as you do not state what you had to eat or drink. We do however, offer more than 30 wines on our normal wine list, and 10 special wines on our blackboard.. so there should be something to suit every taste. We are a Mediterranean style restaurant, and as such have a variety of chefs from all over the world, including Italy... We are always striving to improve any area of criticism, so I will direct message to you ascertain what you had to eat and who was on duty in the kitchen at the time. We are always happy to receive fair and honest feedback.
London, England
“A Great Find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Castello sits next to the Church Square in Lower Shepperton, you are unlikely to find it without actually looking for it, which is such a pity. The restuarant is stuck on the cleft stick of being 'nicely tucked away' but also not best placed for passing trade. This is a great loss to the eating public because this deceptively large restuarant is a great find. The restuarant upon entering is light, airy and spacious, with a conservatory section at the rear and fitted with boothes as well as tables. Our welcome by Simon upon arrival was warm and open but not stiflingly formal, a reflection of the establishment itself. The surprise was that it was 2pm on a Thursday and the place was literally empty! No worries about where to sit then!
There is a set lunch menu at a reasonable fixed price or the normal menu for the day which has variety and interest and is also set at a reasonable price. Assume an average of £5-6 for a starter and £12-15 for a main. The food was simply and beautifully presented, (My Mozzarella was the freshest I have ever tasted) and was served at a nice pace. Don't we hate being rushed? My wife has set her cap at working her way through the menu, and I want to join her!
Food was lovely, wine good and reasonably priced, decoration and style of the establishment was interesting and tasteful. Simon assured us that in the evenings the place is busy and consequently has much more of an atmosphere. I think we are all missing a trick by not making Castello a lunch time destination, we loved it.
On the down side the location lacks much in the way of parking and the road upon which it stands is lined with yellow lines of the double variety. There is parking outside the Anchor Public House in Church Square, but we were very lucky to take the last space, without which we would have gone elsewhere. I suspect that many staff from the cluster of pubs and restuarants in this area take up the available spaces early in the mornings, understandable, but it leaves potential customers with nowhere to go. I wonder if they should all put there heads together and sort something out? But this is musing... find somewhere to park and enjoy The Castello Restuarant.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank Sunbury-Steve
david c, Owner at Castello Restaurant, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear Steve, thank you for taking the time to write such an informative and complimentary review. We are delighted that you and your wife enjoyed the experience and will be back. We rely heavily on the support of local people such as yourselves to keep a small independent business like ours afloat - without this support , every high street would look the same with the usual chain restaurants.
Unfortunately, parking is an issue wherever you go nowadays, but at least there is a large public car park only a few minutes walk away, and if you are very lucky you can park in the square....or another alternative which most people seem to prefeer, is to drop off the passengers outside and for one person to park the car! We look forward to welcoming you again, very soon, I hope. Thanks once again.