“the staff were very nice; but let them know well in advance if you want early breakfast.”
Review of The Anchor Hotel

The Anchor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shepperton
London
Reviewed 9 November 2011

A group of us stayed at the Anchor Hotel to attend a seminar at the end of October. Although they mentioned that breakfast was from 7am to 10am' the breakfast chef did not arrive until nearly 8am when the minibus had already departed and only people with their own transport could have cooked breakfast. The breakfast buffett was very limited.

My room was tiny with a very old fashioned portable 15" TV, which I could not use because I had no remote control in the bedroom. My shower room needed updating and the grouting especially near the floor was nearly black. IN DESPERATE NEED OF UPDATING, but very helpful staff.

Room Tip: Ask the size of the room; my single room was just a box room and a little bigger than a broom cupboa...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Stoke on trent
Reviewed 7 November 2011

the staff are friendly and helpful and the hotel downstairs has some quaint rooms with historical influences like the wooden room

accommodation - old tired looking and noisy, i turned up in the afternoon and thought this is lovely, a nice quiet area and quite quaint. WRONG night time arrives and the pub opposite has live music which inst a problem, however people seem to spend time in the streets making very loud noses and singing - this went on until 2-3 am and i had poor quality sleep even with ear plugs in.

now i know this isn't the hotels fault but is you want a good nights sleep then i wouldn't pick this hotel. all said and done i stayed the Sunday night and come midnight everything was nice and quiet.

overall i would class this a s a budget hotel in need of money updating the rooms.

on a plus side the food is excellent.

Room Tip: ask for a room away fro the street or better yet stay in the sister hotel across the road.they have...
1 Thank dez s
David G, Manager at The Anchor Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased to hear that my staff continue to be friendly and helpful. We pride ourself on our service and we try to make all our guest feel welcome.

It is a shame that the pub over the road spoiled your nights sleep. We are a quiet part of the world and it is a shame that sometimes outside influences can ruin this.

Also let me thank you for commenting on our food. We have an excellent reputation for our excellent food and it is always nice when the effort we put in is commented on.

I agree that some of our rooms are looking a little tired. We continue to ensure that they are kept clean and have all the facilities you need. We have started updating some of the decor and hope you will return soon to see what has been done.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Stayed for a night away at the weekend and for the price, found this hotel reasonable. Staff were friendly, great location. Yes the walls were thin and noise between rooms is an issue, and the rooms could do with quite a bit of updating..but ours seemed clean and had everything we'd need/expect for the rate paid. Small though. Had the full English breakfast which was nice. Would recommend if you are looking for a base for 1 or 2 nights in the area.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
David G, Manager at The Anchor Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2011
Thank you Theresa for taking the time to write on here. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. We try our hardest to provide value for money and keep our rooms clean and well maintained. We have plans to update some of the rooms and have already made a start.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Booked for a single room which was inexpensive and I guess I got what I paid for. I stayed on the Saturday night and there was a wedding reception which was very noisy. The square that the hotel shares with a Church and a couple more pubs is quite delightful but the clientele that the area attracts is just awful and on my visit they didn't dispurse until well after 2pm. Back to the hotel, after the wedding disco the compressor below my room made it's presence known. The footboards in the whole hotel are an absolute nightmare when it comes to creaking - I kid you not if you expect sleep in this hotel forget it. Food? Reminded me of school dinners in the seventies. Service? OK. Try complaining and you you might require a translator. Breakfast? not bad at all... Would I recommend it? LOL

1 Thank thellusson
David G, Manager at The Anchor Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2011
Thank you for putting your point of view on this site. We try our best to give value for money offering a good service but keeping the price competitive. I am sorry to hear that the pub across the road attracted some unlikeable characters. This is highly unusuaul for the area and unfortuanately outside my control. It is unusual to have anybody give poor feedback on our food and i am sorry that you felt you could not say anything at the time. I hope you will come back and try us again so we can show you that the area is beatuiful and we are proud of our little corner
London
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 6 nights as we worked at the Studios. The hotel was also booked by the Production company. I honestly can't believe they dare to put people up in this hotel.

Upon arrival, we were given our room key with the message that it was a single room and that it was a very small room. When asked whether there was a double room available, we were told that it was fully booked. The day after, we were moved to a double room as the Production company called to point out the necessary.

So we have tried out 2 different rooms in this hotel... Neither of them remotely came close to a normal standard for a hotel.
The rooms are moldy, the bathrooms are disgustingly dirty, the bed sheets are as old as the hotel and mattrasses/pillows must give everybody back and muscle pains.

I would not recommend anybody staying in this hotel or paying money for it. Avoid it if you can. The Warren Lodge hotel opposite this one, is much nicer!

Fo the business people amongst us, there is NO internet at this hotel. Only at the hotel opposite.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Silly me!! .. i had booked the anchor hotel without reading reviews.. i went by the look of the webites pictures.. which looked fine. I was soo wrong! On arrival we were greeted by a lady that looked very scruffy. Her uniform shirt was ripped under her arm and it was clearly to short for her as i could see her belly. (not a nice sight) We stayed in room 7, my partner must have got rid of atleast 5 spiders throughout the evening! due to there being a whole in the glass window panel!! the bedding was not pleasent, i found hairs on the pillow and a cigerette burn in the blanket. The walls are sooo thin i could atually hear what the guests next door were talking about! breakfast was good either, the same lady that greeted us on arrival served us, wearing her ripped uniform and having her belly hang out was not what i wanted to see so early in the morning and whilst i was eating!! the menu stated that there would be yoghurts & crossiants... there was non. the full english did ot taste very nice at all. Overall i think that The Anchor Hotel was terrible !!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Myself and my partner stayed at the hotel as it was close to shepperton studios. On our arrival we were supprised it looked really nice and the manager met us and explained breakfast time and where our room was.
We went up to the room and it was terrible the cups were dirty, the nets on the window had holes in it, there were spiders in the window, the shower head was very dirty i used the towel provided and it had a hole in, the room you could just about swing a cat in we were in such rush we could not report the problems.
We got back at the hotel quiet late went to the room and got in bed I struggled to keep myself out of the middle of the bed as i kept rolling in there.
Having had around 3hrs sleep i got up to have breakfast now this i would recommend the breakfast was lovely, but service was very poor, I walked in the bar area and the waiter was watching sky news, felt like i was intruding. His trousers and shirt were dirty
To summerise the hotel needs a good revamp and a lot of money spending on it and im sure it would be lovely as the area is beutiful. The one night including breakfast was £63 feel very disappointed and ripped off.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tim M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepperton
The Warren Lodge Hotel
#2 of 4 in Weybridge
Brooklands Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge

Been to The Anchor Hotel? Share your experiences!