The Anchor Hotel
US$122
US$98
  • Restaurant
Hotels.com
All reviewsolde worldesunday lunchsister hotelwould stay againbirthday partychurch squarefull englishthorpe parkseen better daysgood nights sleepcomfortable bedstayed for one nighttea and coffeecooked breakfastgarrettalisonwarren
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Booked this hotel a week before a trip to visit relatives, and as always consulted trip advisor to work out where to stay. As with all things, people have different perceptions and expectations about places, so you have to try and filter our what's important to you.

After staying at the Anchor Hotel, I can safely say that yes, the rooms arent úber-chic, but this is not what this place is all about.

Its backdrop is the quaint Church square, and has a very traditional rustic Coaching Inn feel, with is timber panelled entrance rooms.

The bedrooms are up the small winding staircase off the Restaurant, and the room I stayed in (No.2) was within the attic; It had the usual flat-screen television, tea and coffee making facilities, and a hair-dryer (not that I need it!), and the bathroom facilities were adequate, with a nice hot shower over the bath. The bed was very comfortable, and the breakfast was tasty and filling.

All in all, I would say that this was a great place to stay and offered excellent value for money., so thank you very much Anchor Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sgt_WIlson
David G, General Manager at The Anchor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to put up this review.
We all work hard at the Anchor to achieve the goal of customer satisfaction and it is always a great boost to myself and my team to hear we are doing a good job. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 6 April 2013

The rooms are each unique, in an ancient building, so expect stairs and hallways and just enough room for the purpose. I found my single room clean and appointed with all of the features of a modern hotel, but fit into a very small package. The breakfast was full English or anything else you wanted and was included in the modest price. The location is wonderfully hidden in a bend on the Thames next to a church yard and the local.

Room Tip: Book well in advance for great pricing and expect small and stairs, then you will be very happy
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank drigall
David G, General Manager at The Anchor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this great review. Customer feed back is key to a business and when you hear that we have once again succeeded in fulfilling a guests expectations it gives myself and my team a great boost. I hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Would you please extend my sincere thanks to all the staff for all the kind and helpful attention I received during my stay. In particular to Lee who assisted me many, many times with my booking.

When a family emergency occurred I had to cut short my stay and Lee was efficient and professional handling the cancelation. His superb customer service was without doubt outstanding and his 'nothing is too much trouble' attitude is a fine example to other members of staff and customer service, he deserves to be commended for the work he does.

The waiting staff at breakfast were marvellous, swift service even when busy. And thank you to the chambermaids who very kindly gave me two packets of biscuits! A very nice touch and much appreciated.

Once again many thanks to Lee and other staff members, they work well as a team and thanks to team leaders who support their efforts.

Perhaps a thought for director's to improve the hotel and for customers enjoyment is WIFI in the bedrooms.

Thanks again to all and I'll certainly return.

Room Tip: A room not near a staircase.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
David G, General Manager at The Anchor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Thank you very much for writing such a great review.

As I have mentioned before we are very proud of our hotel and strive to make people feel as welcome as possible.

All my team work hard to maintain a great standard in the hotel and it is especially nice for me to read that the team succeeded and went that extra step above and beyond what is expected. I am a big believer in that it is the little things that make the difference even if it is just an extra packet of biscuits.

Lee appreciates your kind words and we all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

What a grotty place. Room 18 heating off in the morning dirty laundry in corridor. Bathroom cold as window not closing properly. Mattress worn. Carpets tatty.v expensive for what it is. Great breakfast!

• Stayed: March 2013

I am sorry to hear that your heating was not working during your stay. I do recall that we had a boiler go out and a repair had to be made.

As for the laundry outside your room I will investigate this and find out why it was there.

The window I have had a look at and this has now been fixed. I am sorry you did not point this out to me on the day of your stay as I am sure we could have given you another room until this had been remedied.

I see that you also stayed with us in November for quite a long stay and you chose to come back to us again. I do hope you will once again return as we are very proud of our hotel and strive for customer satisfaction.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

Pleasant welcome to interesting old building. Small rear car park, more space at front. Clean bed, bedroom bathroom although some of areas could do with more upkeep, as needed with buildings of age.
Full English breakfast good, apart from hot water in thermos jug and teabag in cup not conducive to a decent cuppa. Coffee in similar jug been standing too long - fresh jug of coffee ok. Only one night stop, but looked interesting area for walking around and exploring.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. As I have said in the past; customer feedback is important to me and I am alwasy happy to hear what people have to say either through reviews like this or during a stay.

I am glad you found the room clean as this is probably the most important thing to our guests and we are very proud of the quality of our breakfast.

I have tried many different ways of serving our coffee in a morning. A great many of our guests are in and out of breakfast as fast as they can be and appreciate having coffee on the buffet so they can help themselves and go. Individual cafetieres or pots of tea are available on request and we are happy to plunge your coffee at the table.

I really hope to welcome you back soon.