“Very good value for money with a rustic charm”
Review of The Anchor Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Anchor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shepperton
Reviewed 31 May 2013

This Hotel has seen better days but you get what you pay for
staff are very friendly and seem to really enjoy helping you
bar meal was excellent love home cooked food.
my room was not the best but was comfortable but noisy the bed was under the stairway.
room 16 try not to get that one
Breakfast was lovely
I will stay here next time I'm in the area

Room Tip: avoid room 16
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
David G, General Manager at The Anchor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and i am delighted you enjoyed your stay.We really do aim to offer good value for money and i am glad that you feel we did. We have a great team working at the Anchor and everyone of them strives to make you feel welcome and to give as much or as little assitance as you require. I have said before when responding to reviews how proud we are of our home cooked food. Chef Tony is a great asset to my team and his food is a delight to serve aswell as eat. I do hope we see you again soon and thanks again for the review.

There are newer reviews for The Anchor Hotel

Reviewed 28 May 2013

This should be a quaint hotel and it could be. At the moment it is a dirty old has been. The bar is a relaxing area and that is where the compliments stop.
I stayed in a cupboard under the stairs that had been sold to me as a single room with En-Suite. The En-Suite was true but the room was very very small and it was literally under the stairs. No.16 IS to be avoided. The TV didnt work and I reported twice. The carpet in the room was stained and raggy. The bed does not have a headboard. The walls are badly marked and the wardrobe is a D.I.Y. set of open hanger rails: very Travelodge like. The carpets to the upper floor hallways are very cheap looking, ill fitting and very stained.
The reception staff except for one guy were very unresponsive and blase. The general manager appeared to be more concerned with having a laugh with the people in the bar.
On checking out I was assured that the Hotel is in the process of getting refurbished yet there was no smell of fresh paint or usual decorating smell, indeed there was a distinct lack of decorators or decorators vans????????. Not recommended at all.

Room Tip: Try the Warren Lodge or Harrisons
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

I am so sorry you had such a problem with your TV. As I recall we fixed it once and then when the TV was turned off the channels disappeared again. We have since had an engineer out and this problem has been resolved. I did take 1 nights accomodation off your bill for the inconvenience. I would have much rather have moved you into a different room but as you are aware we where fully booked during your stay.
We are in the middle of going around the rooms and refurbishing them. Many have already been done and your particular room is on the agenda.
I would really like to see you again so you can see what the Anchor is really about and why we get so many good reviews. Please feel free to call me personally if you would like to discuss anything about your stay or to book with us again.
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We can only improve if we are aware of where we went wrong and I have noted everything you have said and will endeavour to put these things right.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights as it was easy for us to get access to a number of historically significant places from this location. We were not really expecting much as we had heard it was a little run-down. We chose it for its location more than anything else. We were surprised however. The staff were delightful and helpful, particularly David, the Manager. The food was very good. The rooms warm, cute, comfortable and clean. The pub was very pleasant and historically interesting. And the tab at the end was most affordable. Don't expect 5 star but expect 5 star service and a delightful stay. Definitely recommended for the price.

1  Thank tiana07

Thank you for writing this review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and it is especially nice to get a little personal mention so thank you for that!
It is always great to hear people say they recommend us as recommendation is a huge part of our business.
Hopefully we will se you again soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Hi All,

We just wanted to drop you a line following our Wedding reception on 3rd May at The Anchor Hotel, Shepperton.

The whole day went perfectly well and alot of that was down to you and the team there - you were all fantastic.

Right from the initial meeting through to the day itself you all conducted yourselves immensley professionally and friendly. We chose your venue because of the staff as much as the accommodation available.

The day itself once we arrived at the venue started perfectly with the place looking fantastic after Kate and Alison helped us with our setting up the day prior to the event - the welcome drinks were ready and waiting and the staff were unbelievable in making everyone feel relaxed and watered!

The food tasting went great and a thank you to Lee who was a fantastic host on both the tasting and the main day, we had the chef out as well to meet him and tell him how great the food was! :)

The final meeting prior to the event was very relaxed and we were able to ensure we got exactly what we wanted with Kate and Alison helping us the whole way through - and even selling us on the canapes! (they were really good btw)

Everybody who went on the day said that the venue and the staff were amazing and really added to the day - Thank you so very much for that.

We are so happy we chose to spend our wedding reception day and evening with you at The Anchor and am happy to recommend you and the services you offer to anyone considering the venue for a Wedding and/or reception.

We wanted to share a very special thank you to Kate who was amazing throughout the whole thing. From first meeting to her helping serve drinks on the day she was perfect. Good service these days is not something you hear too much about but with Kate leading our arrangements and helping us in everything we wanted we knew we were in safe hands - Thank you so much Kate for all your help, we actually couldnt have done it without you. We just wish you could have joined in the dancing!!

We look forward to seeing you all soon as we will be returning to have more of the excellent food and service! Anyone who is considering your venue for their special day should look no further - and we would be happy to speak with anyone who has questions!!

Many Thanks again one and all - you did an outstanding job.

Best Regards

Me and Mrs Shaun Hudson

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Let me start by saying congratulations. I thoroughly enjoyed looking after your wedding on the day and I thank you for taking the time to write such great comments on this site. I have mentioned before what a credit Kate is to our team and it is also nice to hear somebody praising Lee who works very hard and is also a credit to the ethics we have at the Anchor.

I am very proud of my team, they all work very hard and it is greatly appreciated when they are praised for their work.

Thank you for not only writing this fantastic review but for choosing us for your special day. I wish you all the happiness for your future together and look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

My husband and I held a joint 50th birthday party at the Anchor Hotel on Saturday night. I cannot praise them enough for a wonderful evening. The staff were so friendly and helpful and Kate the conference and banqueting co-ordinator was so nice and helped us every step of the way. I would definitely recommend the hotel for a party and it was also set up for a wedding the previous week when we went there and it looked amazing.
A couple of our friends stayed at the hotel and said it was very nice and breakfast was great.
I cannot recommend this hotel enough - it is great.

1  Thank lorraine w

Thank you for taking the time to write this great review. As I have said before it is a great boost to the team and myself when people leave and feel that we have done everything we could to make their day special. As you probably know I worked that evening and thoroughy enjoyed watching everybody have a great time. Your comments have been passed on to Kate and I agree she is a credit to our team and very passionate about making sure all events run smoothly.
We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Start with the first morining there we had no hot water so couldn't a have shower had to boil kettle and use skink stood in shower that made us late for going out as two of had to do this but other than that the room was nice clean bed comfy a bit small cause of the chair with arms so could tuck it under the desk which would of made the room a lot bigger the food is top class breakfast and evening meals worth the money absoulutley fab would stay again for going to thorpe park, chessington and lego land winsor, staff friendly and plesant my only thing would of been for that first morning may be they could of offered us a free drink or even a meal to make up for no hot water just to say sorry.

Room Tip: The attic rooms are alot biger
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Let me start this response by appologising for not compensating you for your lack of boiling hot water. I would have gladly bought you a drink if I had known and when you next come back to stay make sure you ask for me and I will make sure you get a drink on our behalf.
Once again our breakfast and food get good remarks and I thank you for that. Our Head Chef Tony Lucas is very talented and we are always proud of what he sends out.
I am glad you found the room clean and comfy as this is the most important thing and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again and thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

we were visiting thorpe park (2 couples in 2 rooms). it was £47 for 1 night per double room including breakfast - so that's £23.50 each including brekkie. not too bad! old fashioned but clean and comfortable. not basic like a travelodge/premier inn - but about the same price. i would much rather stay here and usually i prefer ultra modern.

you walk in through the bar which is a bit weird...especially as there was a wedding on when we arrived. there was also no parking due to the wedding so we had to park about 10 minutes away. usually there are quite a few spaces around.

we walked through the wedding party...to reception. waited for a couple of minutes to be apologised to as the reception staff also ran the bar. waited another 5mins for someone to come over. very pleasant and friendly staff though - just busy. took a few minutes to check in and then up the steep steps to our room.

all a bit 70s/80s on the way up and the room was similar but nice and clean and an OK size.

pleasant nights sleep but it was a bit noisy when the bin van came in the morning as it was too hot and we needed to keep the windows open.

good shower, nice TV, comfy bed.

breakfast was decent as well. im a vegetarian and ate fine. eggs any way you like, toast, fried bread, beans, tomato, mushroom, etc all available and all the usual meat stuff too. no veggie sausage was disappointing.

we didn't goto sleep until around 1am but if you were trying to go to sleep early you might struggle at the weekend as there is a loud pub across the road (it's a tiny village so i think everyone goes there) but it's very quiet from 1am onwards.

i would stay again for the same price and maybe even £10 more - but if somewhere down the road was £5/£10 cheaper i might try there.

also convenient 15mins drive to Thorpe Park! the aim of our trip

we were 2 young couples in our twenties.

Room Tip: we had 1st floor and it was larger than our friend's room on 2nd floor although they said theres...
1  Thank mrmadcat

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. More and more people are giving great comments about our breakfast; we believe it is a very important part of your stay and work hard to make every breakfast fresh, hot and plentiful.

I am sorry about the noise from the pub opposite being noisy, they do sometimes have a disco but usually it does not affact my guests.

we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepperton
The Warren Lodge Hotel
The Bridge Hotel
The Bridge Hotel
#4 of 4 in Chertsey
Travelodge Chertsey Hotel

Been to The Anchor Hotel? Share your experiences!