“Good for one night”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shepperton
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Good for one night”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed in this hotel in September 2013 for one night only. It was booked in advance by a member of our family and we were told the hotel with breakfast was about £55.

On arrival we were positively surprised as the hotel is nicely kept in its old style. The rooms are ok but nothing more than really average and some facilities require some attention.

The service we received was very good and so was the breakfast with a very good choice of hot and cold options. Full english breakfast was very good.

The disappointment was the final check out when we were charged £71 for one night in a small room. It was not worth this money, plus we were informed that it would be less. After checking with the person who pre-booked the room for us we went back to reception querying this and we were given back the difference between the price of booking and the price we paid.

Overall the hotel is good for a short stay but only if you pay something between £50-60. For more money I would expect more - like cleaned windows for example...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed at the anchor august 31/1 (party of four )

We stayed here for 2 nights as it was very convenient for sanddown race course (15mins by car)

Nice location in a small square 1 min walk to the thames , the hotel it self is a bit tired and need some tlc that said the staff were very welcoming and attentive I would suggest asking for a room on the back as it can get a bit noisy on the square . the rooms were a bit dated but very clean ,all in all it was a very pleasant stay and will use again next year .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
East Midlands
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Stayed at the Anchor in June 2012, the hotel/pub was fine and relatively easy to find. Our room was very clean but a bit on the small side but as it was only a base it was perfectly fine. Our room was on the front of the hotel and there was noise from the pub across the road, it didn't affect us but others may prefer a room at the back of the hotel.
didnt eat breakfast therefore unable to comment but the breakfast room was nicely presented and all the staff were very friendly.
Parking could be an issue if there is a function taking place but there is a pay and display car park literally 2 minutes up the road, very handy.
The village of Shepperton is lovely and not far from this hotel you can dine al fresco at the Thames Court Bar restaurant facing the Thames and watching the boats go by, its a beautiful location and I will more than happy to return to this hotel next year.

Room Tip: request a room at the back of the hotel it may be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Colin C, Manager at The Anchor Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Thank you for your honest review and kind comments. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Anchor again in the near future.

Staines, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We were married in The Anchor Hotel just a week ago and I was so pleased that we chose this venue. Although we weren't in the hotel for very long (our reception was held in the Warren Lodge across the road) everything ran very smoothly. The room we booked for the ceremony was small and intimate, which is exactly what we wanted. Perfect.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Colin C, Manager at The Anchor Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your Wedding at the Anchor. I am delighted everything went smoothly and would like to congratulate you both again and wish you a long and happy future together. Perhaps we may see you back in the future for an anniversary or two?

Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Currently staying 9th July & 10th July 13, I paid for a double room and asked for a quiet room. I got room number 9 overlooking the square and the area where everyone drinks and smokes. I barely slept last night , endured noise from square, smoke from clients drinking below, dustman came at 5am. No net curtain , room very small hardly room for 2 people as bed jammed against the shower room wall, bed seen better days. Was this really a single room? rather than a double.
Decor ok, shower room ok, breakfast was fine the cooked ones looked very nice.

Was going to stay next week as well as, working locally,but cancelled as I dont fancy a repeat performance.

Room Tip: Probably arent any really good rooms, try the Premier Inn at Sunbury
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Colin C, Manager at The Anchor Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
I am sorry to hear of the disturbance you experienced during your stay and apologise that we were unable to allocate one of our quieter rooms at the back of the hotel for this particular stay. The hotel does get very busy and therefore we can not always accommodate every request made however we do try wherever possible. Church Square is normally a very quiet place however I know that sometimes there is noise from drinkers outside the pub opposite and I am sorry that this was the case. Thank you for your honest feedback and I do hope you will return again should the opportunity arise in the future.

Woking, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We are fairly regular visitors to this hotel. We first went to a wedding here 12 years ago and were so impressed that we got married here ourselves 10 years ago. It was such a special weekend and we stayed overnight in the sister hotel The Warren Lodge across the road. The food was fantastic, the staff brilliant and the decor and ambiance etc was perfect and all for a very good price too. We hired the Disraeli room for the wedding ceremony, meal and disco which they transformed effortlessly. We also have stayed since in the bridal suite at the Anchor Hotel for my birthday the same year. Since then we have returned for a meal and drinks several times and the latest being Sunday 2nd June 2013 for my mums 70th birthday celebrations and obviously our 10th wedding anniversary. We had a private function in the front alcove organised by the hotel at no extra cost. There were 8 of us dining and it was lovely to have this probate area to ourselves plus our own waiting staff. The menu choices were sent out in advance for us to choose our choices. I had prawn cocktail, followed by roast beef, followed by profiteroles and coffee and mints all for £16.95 a head. We also had Buck's Fizz on arrival and plenty of wine and the remainder of the meal apart from the deposit paid for which was arranged in secret between my brother in America and the hotel as a surprise for my mum. he staff were great and nothing was too much trouble. The food was superb and there was plenty of it. We weren't rushed and they made my mum feel special. It was also special for us being our anniversary. This hotel is still as we remembered and the ambiance was fantastic, it hold very special memories for us and I would highly recommend any event here be it an afternoon drink, a leisurely meal, a wedding or a family function. It's very well priced and superb quality. Thank you for making our days here special and for making my mums birthday!

Room Tip: We only stayed in the honeymoon suite but our parents had there own rooms that were also really nic...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
David G, General Manager at The Anchor Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
As I always say to all the people that write reviews on here thank you.

It is great once again to get a pat of on the back for our hard work. We are very proud of our team and what they do. The chef works hard to send out piping hot delicious food. The bar and waiting team work hard to make everyone feel special and the housekeeping team to keep the rooms spotless and fully stocked.

It is greatly appreciated and gives the team such a lift when they read that their hard work and dedication does not go unnoticed.

You are very welcome and I am glad you all keep enjoying your visits and thank you for continuing to come to us

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to your next function or dinner at the Anchor.
yorkshire
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Myself my wife and our friends make an annual pilgrimage to this particular hotel every year at August bank holiday time and have done so for 5 years now (Our friends have been going a couple of years longer.) After reading some of the reviews on here you may wonder why we choose to do this, especially as one of the main reasons for our journey is to visit the Wembley stadium which is quite a distance and three train journeys away. Yes there are hotels nearer the stadium, they may be cheaper and have better facilities but we keep returning to the Anchor because of the welcome we get when we arrive. David the general manager offers a warm welcome and nothing seems to be too much trouble for him and his team. We have had many tasty, reasonably priced meals here, all in the comfort of what is really a most attractive bar/ restaurant area. From special dietary requests ranging from allergies to getting a fried egg just right at breakfast nothing seems to put them out. If you don't want to eat here the bar lounge area or patio at the front of the hotel over looking the square (weather pending!) is perfect for a cool drink on a summers evening
Now please don't get me wrong, I am not nay-saying nor decrying anybody else's review on this site with regards to the Anchor, hotels can get it wrong on occasion and it can detract from your enjoyment of your stay, so I'm not saying these reviewers have it wrong, I'm just simply putting my point of view across.
We are returning again this August for what we're sure will be another great stay and we can't wait.
Also just to redress the balance from my first review on this hotel, the pub over the square has, over time, altered my initial thoughts and we have now had some quite cracking nights in there. First impressions don't always last.
So why do we keep returning to the Anchor? Because it's like revisiting an old friend, for all the above reasons.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write another review for the Anchor. It is always great to hear that people return time after time to us and each time are not disappointed.
We have a culture here as I have said before, that everyone who stays here must be made to feel welcome and special. We all enjoy what we do here and work hard to give everybody the best experience possible so it is great to hear that we acheived our goal once again.
I hope that you all continue to come back to the hotel year after year as it will be a pleasure to see you again.

David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepperton
The Warren Lodge Hotel
#2 of 4 in Weybridge
Brooklands Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge

Been to The Anchor Hotel? Share your experiences!