“Wonderful wedding venue”
Review of The Lensbury

The Lensbury
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Teddington
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We attended a wedding here yesterday. It was a beautiful venue, the staff were all very helpful and polite. The grounds were lovely and although the whole place was bring refurbished up until a few days before there was no disturbance to the day at all.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
kathyslambert, Sales Coordinator at The Lensbury, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for your kind comments on Trip Advisor following your visit to The Lensbury recently. We are very proud of our beautiful venue which is an excellent choice for weddings and celebrations of all kinds. Our staff our friendly and helpful and the location of The Lensbury on the river at Teddington with 25 acres of grounds, is spectacular. We have been undergoing some refurbishment which you mentioned, but the first phase is almost complete and it is already looking fantastic. The newly opened, bar, foyer and lounge are already proving popular with our members and guests. The second phase, starting now, will be completed by the end of May.

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I got married in August and had my wedding reception at Lensbury. When we first booked the lady who dealt with us sadly made several false promises. I was then taken over by another member of staff Laura, in the events team, who I cannot praise highly enough. She was very understanding and helped with our many concerns and queries. The way the room was dressed was beautiful & our flower arrangements by Ros were stunning and reasonably priced. On the day I was dissappointed with the food. There was another wedding in the other function room and felt they struggled slightly to deal with this. We sent back several meals as the beef was almost rare and the dessert we ordered months prior was incorrect when it came out, it had Jelly on it which we didnt order (and I dont like!) After our initally greeting we didnt see a familiar face from this point. Our planner was off that day, and although very helpful the other person to assist us was a new face. Also, one of the reception staff was quite rude to one of my guests which I didnt feel very happy about, I didnt learn of this until after the wedding. But I believe this was handled and dealt with at the time.

Our room we upgraded too was nice, although didnt feel great having to pay the extra that we did for it. I would assume as the bride and groom you would get a special room for the evening, not the standard rooms they offer. The breakfast the following day was lovely and all our guests that stayed enjoyed it. I did register my concerns after our wedding and this was dealt with by our event co-ordinator. Overall we had a lovely day, the venue is beautiful, the only let down was the food, which sadly was the most costly part of our day. I hav eknown other people who have had their reception here and they havent had the same concerns, so guess we were just unlucky?!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank clairefairminer
kathyslambert, Sales Coordinator at The Lensbury, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Claire,

Thank you for your review of The Lensbury and all your positive comments about the room for your wedding, the beautiful flower arrangements, the lovely breakfast and that overall you and your guests enjoyed the experience.

We accept that there were a few issues regarding some of the food at your wedding for which we apologised at the time. You received a substantial refund in recompense for our mistake and we have in the meantime addressed the other issues you mentioned.

Since your wedding last August, we have a new executive chef and the property has undergone further refurbishment work to improve the lounge and bar area. We would love you to come back and visit us again to see the improvements we have made.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

A lovely hotel with excellent amenities. Despite being in the heart of London, food and drink prices were quite reasonable. The only disappointing factor for us was the standard room. The room size was 'bijou', the bed equally small and the bathroom was tiny! Only slim people would be able to squeeze through the shower doors. I guess if any large people stay at the hotel they must pay for larger rooms or risk potential comments about body odour!
Another issue was the poor sound proofing between rooms as I could hear adjacent room doors banging. Furthermore, whilst staying in 4 star accommodation I really don't expect to hear toilets being flushed from adjacent rooms throughout the day/night.

Room Tip: I strongly recommend avoiding the standard rooms by paying a little more.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
kathyslambert, Sales Coordinator at The Lensbury, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you for your review of The Lensbury following your recent stay. We are pleased to hear your enjoyed your visit despite finding the room a little small. Some of our rooms are smaller than in some other hotels, but we believe they are comfortable and well appointed nonetheless. It is unfortunate that you heard other guests banging doors. On occasions when the hotel is very full, this can happen and we apologise if this disturbed your night's sleep.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Lensbury again soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights while running a workshop for 30 people. Overall, it was a good experience. The hotel is a converted sports club and it is being renovated piece by piece. My bedroom was recently updated and was nice, but not 5 star. The conference center was well designed, seemed recently updated and worked really well for our needs.

The service from the staff was excellent. All were always helpful and focused on helping meet our needs when we needed any assistance.

It is not a 5 star hotel, but it isnt trying to be - just a well run 4 star.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
kathyslambert, Sales Coordinator at The Lensbury, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you for your review of The Lensbury following your recent stay. We are pleased to hear you found your room comfortable and the conference centre a good venue for your meeting. We pride ourselves on our friendly and helpful staff and are delighted that you found the service to be excellent. Although we are undergoing some refurbishment work at the moment, we are doing our best to ensure it does not impact on our guests and we would love to welcome you back to the Lensbury in a few weeks to see the improvements we have made.

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

A conference at the Lensbury was a treat!! Fast flowing Thames close by, but well protected, a wonderful all purpose gym and heated pool and comfortbale functional accommodation with wholesome food was all we could have asked for!!
Many people look to find fault when natural disasters are close to hand.there was no flooding ..even though the feint hearted imagined so.!
Under rennovation all the noise of construction was well managed away from the Conference..
yes the room was small but more than adequate and comfortable!!!
Service was freindly efficient and ....genuine....I will be back

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of The Lensbury following your recent visit. We are a riverside venue, but were fortunate not to have been flooded recently when so many others were. We are pleased to hear that your conference went well and that you had time to appreciate the leisure facilities here, including the swimming pool and gym, which I am sure you will agree are really excellent. We are undergoing some refurbishment at the moment which will be finished in a few weeks. We do hope you will be able to return to see the improvements we have made.

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback.

Best regards

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Visiting during renovation work and during the flooding of February 2014 I was slightly worried on arrival as to what I would find, given that the hotel is situated right on the banks of the River Thames.

From the start every member of staff I encouraged in the hotel itself, the conference facilities and complementary gym were first class. So friendly and helpful. I frequently stay in London on business and this was far better than being in the centre. The Lemsbury was quiet, clean and you could still get back into the into the city centre reasonably quickly. They even have a complementary shuttle service to and from Teddington station, which I thought was a nice touch.

The onsite facilities were great. If you ignore the trophy wife yummy mummy’s dropping Tarquin and Sebastian off for their lessons then the swimming pool and steam room were a nice way to relax after a long journey.

My room was lovely and quiet and peaceful. My third floor room has a lovely duel aspect view across the front of the grounds. The bathroom only had a shower, no bath but that is only a small preference of mine. The shower itself was fantastic. I loved the style of the little desk they provided to work on and the pull out option with the TV. I paid a really good price for my room, I couldn’t believe it was so reasonable given the area in question. I believe this may be a benefit of having a members club in such an affluent area. Whatever the reason, I hope their sensible pricing policy continues. If you decide to stay here, please note that drinking water is not present in the room but is available from a fountain at the end of your corridor.

The food was all served in the Terrace Cafe/ bar area as the restaurant was being refurbished as part of the hotel £14 million pound updates. This didn’t bother me at all and as while the location might not have been as exclusive, the views were still lovely across the grounds towards the Thames. The food itself was reasonably priced and of a good standard.

The conference facilities were again some of the best I have been in. I believe they have won awards in this area and you could tell that from the attention to detail. They certainly like to feed you up as well, which is fine in my book! I loved the decor as well and the tennis rackets of all the famous players on the stairs up to our meeting room, a nice tie into the sporty feel of the venue.

By this point of the flooding the Thames had breached its banks in the West London and we could see the water level rising and falling across the grounds during the two days we were present. The hotel dealt with the problem effectively, although given the biblical nature of the flooding we did have geese bathing rather close to the hotel at one point!

They were even able to help accommodate my disability M.E. providing me with a quiet room to rest in during the day, during breaks in my meetings.

Overall I can’t praise this hotel highly enough and hope my business decides to use the hotel again. I would love to go back and stay when the refurbishment is complete to see if it can possibly be even better!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 363 (I think) and as you can see from my review, this was lovely.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of The Lensbury following your recent stay. We are undergoing some refurbishments to the hotel at the moment but hopefully and as you kindly commented we are doing our best to keep disruption to a minimum. The finished results at the end of March will be well worth it. I hope you are able to visit us again then to see the improvements. We are fortunate in our location by the river Thames and although many other riverside properties were damaged by the recent floods, our building was unaffected here at The Lensbury. We are very happy to hear that you found all the amenities good and the staff to be friendly and helpful. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and we hope to see you back at The Lensbury again soon.

Best regards

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I booked a one night stay at this hotel for a stopover after the rugby via Laterooms.com for £200 for a standard double (not cheap so I had high hopes). The initial appearance of the hotel is very nice indeed and great for convenience if your heading to Twickenham stadium, there was also ample parking on the day.

On check in we arrived 15 minutes early so our room was not ready? The receptionist was polite and friendly, checked us in, took our luggage and called us a cab to get to the stadium.

When we returned, reception staff were again polite, our room was ready and clean all be it a bit on the small side hence it became quite stuffy. The bed was a mere 4'6" but comfortable none the less. One issue I had was once the curtains were open everyone could see into the room as there was no nets or blinds to give you that little bit of privacy. If I would have been staying longer this would have bugged me to have no natural light but at the same time maintaining dignity when dressing etc.

The shower room (no bath) was clean but extremely cold. There was a huge draught coming in the windows and the towel rail never came on, particularly in the morning when you would expect.

We ordered room service which arrived promptly and was hot and tasty. However, the menu is a little limited given that its quite a big hotel. The breakfast the next morning was also very well displayed and as mentioned by other guests quite pleasurable. I saw no option anywhere of ordering breakfast to our room which also would have been nice given that we had escaped the children!

The biggest problem was the noise generated by other guests. Not their fault but the walls were so thin we heard everything! I was woken at 330 am by the guest next door coming back, plugging their appliances in, making tea, having a shower, sneezing and the odd groan eeek! When they eventually settled down there was so much other noise that took over. All throughout the night it sounded like someone was trying to open our door by pushing the handle down. This was quite unsettling. The worst of it all is that we were really looking forward to a good nights sleep having escaped the children for a night of relaxation :(

We did mention this when we checked out this morning and again the polite receptionist noted our concerns and informed us she would let management know.

Would I stay here again? I'm not sure, the location was great but I'm not sure the price was worth it. But maybe given that it was a 6 nations weekend, like everything the price was much more than normally charged.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 129!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
kathyslambert, Sales Coordinator at The Lensbury, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thank you for your review of The Lensbury following your recent stay with us. The Lensbury is a very popular choice with those attending rugby matches at Twickenham and with good reason. As you mentioned, we are conveniently close to the stadium and generally our service and facilities are good. We were sorry to hear that you had a disturbed night with noise from other guests and someone trying your door handle. We do have night security and you could have called down if you were concerned. The hotel does get busy when there has been a rugby match and other guests can get a bit lively. You could have switched the bathroom radiator on if you were cold.
If you do decide to stay at The Lensbury again, please contact Noel Lavery our Head Receptionist for a discount on your next booking.
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Teddington
Richmond Hill Hotel
Richmond Gate Hotel
Richmond Gate Hotel
#8 of 14 in Richmond
The Coach and Horses

Been to The Lensbury? Share your experiences!