“Pleasant hotel, but not for a business stay”
Review of The Lensbury

The Lensbury
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Teddington
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Location is excellent (the hotel is situated in a nice park on the bank of the river), the main railway station is within walking distance (you just have to walk along the main street of Teddington), but you can easily take a cab if you wish to.

I spent one week in the hotel (it was a business trip), and there are mostly good memories I can remember. Staff is extremely helpful, friendly and polite - I think this can be put as an example for more highly positioned hotels.

The room was all right, neither too spacious nor small, but it was clean and I could sleep well, that was good after a long day in the office. Bar was always full of local people, food was good and reasonably priced.

It was Internet access that was a major disappointment. Never have I stayed in a hotel where access to online resources was so restricted: I was not able to connect even to my company VPN, which I needed badly. Although reception was extremely responsive and helpful, and even if IT tried to assist, they did not seem to be of help: so if you need heavy online presence I would not recommend the place.

For families or couples - it can be a recommended place to stay though.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
kathyslambert, Sales Coordinator at The Lensbury, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for your review of The Lensbury following your recent stay. We are pleased to hear that in the main you enjoyed your stay and found the location to be good, the food good and reasonably priced and the staff helpful and friendly. I did note that you encountered some problems with internet access whilst you were and for that we are very sorry. It is unusual because we do have an excellent WiFi service with 100% coverage 100MB line, so I can only imagine a lot of people were trying to get access at the same time. I have spoken to our IT Manager and she was not aware of any problems.
I do hope you will be back to visit us again soon and thank you for giving your feedback.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed in The Lensbury this weekend for a wedding party and it was fantastic. We loved everything about it. The location is spectacular overlooking Teddington Lock on the banks of the Thames, and the outdoor space maximises this beautiful view with luscious gardens and plenty of outdoor seating. As we had our 2 year old son with us we booked a superior deluxe room and it was excellent. A huge room with 2 double beds and a seating area, separate lobby area and bathroom with separate bath and shower. Very comfortable and immaculately clean. All facilities you would expect - TV, DVD player, tea/coffee tray, mini bar, iron, trouser press. Stunning views of the garden and river. Breakfast was in the refurbished terrace area and was great - everything you could possibly want with friendly attentive staff. We also used the pool and the children's outdoor play area - both excellent. We loved our stay and would definitely recommend the hotel. We hope to return soon.

• Stayed: May 2014
kathyslambert, Sales Coordinator at The Lensbury, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for your review of The Lensbury following your recent stay. I was delighted to read that you had such a good time. We are located in a beautiful spot right on the river at Teddington Lock and with lots of outdoor space and extensive leisure facilities there is plenty to keep everyone amused. We have undergone some refurbishment work recently which has really enhanced our offering here at The Lensbury and it is nice to know that our guests appreciate it. I do hope you will be back again to see us soon and please pass on the word to your friends and colleagues.

Best regards

Reviewed 10 May 2014

In honesty we spent very little time at the hotel as we were at a rugby match that day, preceded by and followed by lunch, drinks and dinner with old friends. The room and bathroom were quite small, but adequate for our needs (had we been there for longer than 2 nights I think it would have become an issue), and the breakfast buffet was very good - and I do have to compliment the staff, who were all very friendly, helpful, and cheerful. Lovely setting, and great facilities at the hotel.

Room Tip: Check room size if this is likely to be an issue.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mulqueen
kathyslambert, Sales Coordinator at The Lensbury, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you for your review of The Lensbury following your recent stay. I am glad you found the hotel convenient for attending rugby at Twickenham and that the staff were friendly and helpful. It is a shame you didn't have more time to enjoy the facilities we offer here which are extensive. We have a 25 m indoor pool, large gym, tennis courts, a watersports centre, squash courts and spa.

The bedrooms at The Lensbury are all different, so if you come back and I do hope you will, please ask for a room with a large bathroom, if this is important to you, and we will do our best to accommodate.

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback and we hope to see you back at The Lensbury again soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I have stayed at the hotel on a number of occasions as my parents are embers and also moor a boat here.

The hotel is good, small clean room but very cosy and comfortable.

The newer mews section isn't as good as is separate and reminds me of student halls.

The facilities are excellent with a state of the art large gym, pool and spa area.

The setting on the banks of the thames is beautiful.

I recommend staying in a larger room in the main hotel which is reasonably priced as well.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris A

Thank you for your review of The Lensbury following your recent stay. Thank you for your kind comments about the hotel, location and facilities. If you have been here before and your parents are members you will have noticed the transformation which has been taking place steadily over the past few years with the refurbishments. We are delighted with the results which over the last few years have included new executive bedrooms, refurbished restaurant, bar, lounge and conservatory. Updated Mews bedroom block which is now the new Ascot building featuring 37 completely refurbished bedrooms.

There are more improvements planned over the next year, so please keep coming back to see how we are transforming The Lensbury into a beautiful, 4 star resort.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is not a four star hotel. It is a members and children's club and conference centre.

It has two good points and that is its excellent location and friendly staff. Other than that I can think of little good to say. I stayed for one night with a friend when work was being done on my house to escape the noise of builders and wish I hadn't bothered.

The public area resembles a tacky (the tv in the nasty gold picture frame was of particular note), cheap and very dark version of an airport Business Class lounge - but one full of extremely noisy ill mannered and badly behaved young children - and because it is open plan you can't escape! Forget having a quiet drink before dinner because if you can find a seat you'll not be able to hear yourself speak, and forget dinner there - menu is extremely limited, and guess what - you can't even a decent sandwich - they had a choice of plain ham, or plain cheese pre-wrapped rolls (four star hotel???). I asked a couple of people who had eaten there and they said they'd had a dry beef burger with a soft tasteless roll, an overcooked steak and an expensive bowl of salad. So we gave that a miss. Fortunately there are many good pubs and restaurants within walking distance so you have plenty of options. To be fair I should say that the buffet breakfast was fine - no fresh eggs, and the food had been hanging around for a while and was luke warm. It's nowhere near as good as those one gets in the average Novotel, but it's okay.

I have no clue as to how one reviewer found an empty pool - it was closed for much of the time for classes and children's lessons and when open for swimming was inhabited by another lot of noisy children. The screeches from the babies in the small pool were piercing. The changing rooms are poor and badly in need of refurbishment.

The bedrooms are not especially well appointed as the manager has commented on previous reviews - they are averagely so with cheap furniture and tiny shower rooms. They are student size which is a pity because you'll spend a lot of time awake in there because of the noise of people walking down noisy corridors and banging doors.

This was an expensive mistake and it may be that I hit on a particularly bad evening as other reviewers seem to like it. In my view, if you have a few children and want to stay in their play area - you'll love it here. Otherwise, avoid it like the plague.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Perfect place for sports, the gym is amazing and the pool is empty. Sports facilities are free for hotel guests.

Service is good, food is OK, not amazing though.

Rooms are quite small and view from the first floor is just terrible. Would need to be renewed.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
kathyslambert, Sales Coordinator at The Lensbury, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you for your review of The Lensbury following your recent stay. We are proud of our excellent sports facilities here and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the gym and swimming pool. We are also often complimented on the service provided by our staff, again it is something we are proud of, and it always nice to know that a guest has appreciated it.

We know that some of our bedrooms are a little smaller than at some 4 star hotels, but we believe they are all comfortable, well-appointed and have been refurbished recently. Some of the views may not be the best - it is impossible to ensure every single room has a fantastic view and this is the same at any hotel. If a nice view is important to you, please mention it next time you stay and we will try to allocate a room overlooking the grounds.

Many thanks for your feedback and we hope to see you back at The Lensbury again soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Nice refurbishment downstairs. The bar area is really a much better proposition. They also gave us a new room which was so much better than previous experience. Well done, things are getting much better. But about time!

Room Tip: Ask for a superior romM
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for kind comments following your recent stay at The Lensbury. I am so pleased you have noticed the improvements since the refurbishments. We are very happy with the result which has completely transformed the ground floor bar and lounge. We are also continuing with more works at the moment to improve the conservatory, children's play area and to provide a new restaurant. You can keep up to date with the improvements by looking at our website.

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again at The Lensbury soon.

Sales Coordinator

Also consider these accommodations in or near Teddington
Richmond Hill Hotel
Richmond Gate Hotel
Richmond Gate Hotel
#8 of 14 in Richmond
The Coach and Horses

Been to The Lensbury? Share your experiences!