“Fun evening with friends”
Review of The Lensbury

The Lensbury
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Teddington
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I'd not heard of this place before but met some friends that are members on a Friday night. This therefore is a review of the bar and restaurant area both of which had been refurbed recently.

I quite like the decor to be honest although I see others don't. Nice relaxed tables and chairs in the bar area on a fairly busy might with people spread over the bar, inside and outside restaurants.

For eats I had the crab starter which had a deep fried coating, it was quite fiddly to eat but ok all the same. After this a sirloin with Lensbury sauce which consisted of red wine, shallots and had a spicy taste - I liked it.

Anyway, good night, nothing to moan about and service was good.

Stayed: August 2014
kathyslambert, Sales Coordinator at The Lensbury, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for your review of The Lensbury following your recent visit. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the experience especially the bar, restaurant, food and staff. We are very pleased with our newly refurbished bar and lounge areas and new Dunbar table service restaurant. We have gone to considerable lengths to incorporate the requirements and wishes of our members and guests so thank you for appreciating it. I do hope you will be back to visit us again soon. Thank you again for your feedback.

There are newer reviews for The Lensbury

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I had the absolute pleasure in staying at The Lensbury last night. Oozing character and caliber, Lensbury is set in the most incredible setting.. Grounds are extensive and bar, conservatory and outdoor patio (massive), all overlook the most fantastic tree lined expanse.. Customer service was brilliant and consistent across all areas ie fitness, restaurant, bar and reception. Leisure facilities are far beyond those you would expect at a hotel.
Food was excellent at either bar or main restaurant, the 3 x ice cream tasting dish was staggeringly brilliant.. I have read some comments on room size, but you know what, for the rate I got, I had absolutely no complaints on this front. Yes the room was warm, no air conditioning but you know what? Just not sure air conditioning is right for this historic building? Fans were provided in the room which was good.

I have stayed in many hotels on business, but this one left me wanting to re-visit as soon as possible..

Highly highly recommended..

Well done to everyone

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of The Lensbury following your recent stay. We are proud of our beautiful venue and its charming location on the banks of the Thames. We are well appointed with excellent leisure facilities as you observed and have recently invested £14 million in refurbishing the ground floor bar, lounge and restaurant areas. We are very pleased with the results which we feel enhance the character and atmosphere.

We do hope you will be back to visit us again soon, and please tell others about us too.

Many thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here while attending a conference. The grounds are very pleasant and relaxing after a work day - the proximity of the Thames (50m from the building) is lovely with canal side walks. The rooms are small and don't have air conditioning, not great especially as London was experiencing a heatwave! Breakfast was good as were the conference lunches and dinner

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
kathyslambert, Sales Coordinator at The Lensbury, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for your review of The Lensbury following your recent stay. We are fortunate in our location on the banks of the river Thames and we have beautiful grounds and gardens which I was pleased to hear you enjoyed. I accept that some of our rooms are a little smaller than some you will find in other 4 star hotels. The Lensbury was originally built as a private members club and not a hotel, however we believe all the rooms are comfortable and have been recently updated. If you prefer a room with air conditioning, it might be worth paying a little extra next time and upgrading to a superior room.

We hope you visit us again soon and thank you for giving us your feedback.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here last week , we booked the hampton court flower show break .
We have never stayed here before and were so pleased that we did ,as we feel feel this is a loverly hotel . There were a lot of people staying here but we didn't feel over crowded. There were a lot of children but most of them seemed to be outside in the large gardens, children under sixteen were not allowed in the bar area ,so this is were we sat and had our evening meal , thank you Holly for keeping us supplied with G and T.
Our bedroom was beautiful , very large and spacious, with a large king size bed ,a couple of settees ,large TV and a kettle and a nespresso coffee machine (my favourite ) .it was also extremely clean .
Nice large bathroom with shower unit (not a bath) once again very clean .
Breakfast was a bit busy ,but if you waited you soon got a table ,good choice on 1st day ,Saturday was a bit hit and miss ,(don't know who made the scramble eggs ).
We really enjoyed our 2 night stay here and would certainly return .

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
kathyslambert, Sales Coordinator at The Lensbury, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for your lovely review of The Lensbury following your recent stay. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the facilities here and that you found the location convenient for visiting the Hampton Court Flower Show. As we are just down river we hope you were also able to make use of the boat service from Teddington Lock to the show. I hope you will be back to stay with us again especially if you are visiting the Flower Show next year. Many thanks again for taking the time to give your feedback.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

A lovely position on the river and in the smart town of Teddington, handy for buses or walks to Hampton Court, and walks along the river to Ham House, Kew Gardens etc. We had a comfortable stay in a Mews room - now renamed Ascot Building - which has aircon. It was a small room but adequate, and very nicely refurbished - just slightly let down by the housekeeping (someone else's make up on a bath robe and the coffee hadn't been replenished on arrival). The building is a long way from the main areas and the hotel is large with several receptions for its different functions and my mother in law got lost. It was handy for a short-cut to the road, and the leisure centre though, which had a large pool and segregated sauna and steam room. Reception staff were friendly and efficient and paid heed to my booking requests regarding room requirements. Breakfast was great with lots of choice and good service. We ate in once in the evening - the food was nice but the dining areas are soul-less so I regretted that after discovering the nice pubs and cafes at the Lock - and Teddington High Street isn't too far with a lot of lovely looking restaurants. There was a notice at the Conference Centre reception about a shuttle bus to the train station on weekdays - it would be great if it ran at the weekend too and it was better advertised (presuming it is available to all guests). Train travel from Teddington was slightly confusing as the final destination in both directions is London Waterloo so don't rush onto any old train if you want a particular stop on the way as we did! I'd happily stay here again (but eat out).

Room Tip: In summer, sounds like you need the aircon in the Mews/Ascot building.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
kathyslambert, Sales Coordinator at The Lensbury, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for your review of The Lensbury following your recent stay. It is always nice to hear that a guest has enjoyed their stay and appreciated all The Lensbury has to offer. We are in an ideal location for visiting local attractions as you found and have excellent leisure facilities which can be enjoyed by any residents at the hotel. We are proud of our staff who are almost always friendly and helpful so thank you for noticing. I have made a note of the housekeeping issues you commented on and we will make sure they are addressed.

Thank you again for taking the time to give your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Lensbury again soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

My Wife and I were invited to stay for a Ruby wedding party here on our first stay at 'The Lensbury' hotel. On arrival we found the car park to be very busy, but we still found a space, so no issue.

Check-In,
Simple and straightforward! We had a room allocated to us before arrival and the Chap on reception said it could have possibly changed, which did not bother us as we were just glad to be there. That said we still had the same room on the 3rd floor! Happy Days!!!!!

Room,
We were allocated room 337 as I say on the 3rd floor (which is the highest I think). The room was very nice and clean which did it's job for the night. The bed was a double which was a little small, but very comfortable indeed. There was a small desk if needed and a good size cupboard which is everything you need for a stay. The bathroom was a shower only, but it was a pretty good one which looked newly renovated. The view from the window wasn't bad either!! Just a little note that only some of the rooms have air-con, to which this one didn't but was not an issue. We could not fault at all!

Food,
As we were at a party, the evening food was buffet style, but was plentiful and tasty. I don't think you would starve here that's for sure. We enjoyed breakfast in the morning which was served in the lovely conservatory. The food was plentiful from a range of cold cereals, fruit etc to the famous English!! The only thing that did not look appealing was the scrambled eggs. This was a buffet style and the staff served you tea or coffee. Again pretty hard to fault!

Staff,
The staff we spoke too were all very friendly and hardworking. During our stay we clocked that they were all time asking you were ok for drinks and everything in the evening and during breakfast they were always clearing and refreshing the food as quick as they could. How can you ask any more?

Overall,
The location of this hotel is FANTASTIC!! This is the jewel in the hotel's crown!! I am led to believe the hotel is owned by the Shell Group of companies. It is located on the Thames at Teddington Lock, right next door to the famous Teddington Studio's where a lot of classic British TV and Films were made (Many famous blue name plaques adorn the Studio's front building, (Mr Sid James, Mr John Sullivan and Mr Tony Hancock to name a few)). It was easily located by car, but I am not sure by public transport, but knowing London, I don't think that would be a problem. The hotels grounds are vast as there is also a sports club with many facilities I believe located in the hotel. We had a pleasant dry evening where the children could run around to their hearts content in the lovely kept grounds of the hotel and they also made good use of the 'Soft Play' area. One of the finest things about it was watching the world go by up and down the river. This hotel is generally hard to fault and would stay again with no worries at all, as long as there was a deal on as it is not cheap. We would recommend with no worries at all.

Room Tip: Higher floors with an outlook on the Thames.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lala_Tink2008
kathyslambert, Sales Coordinator at The Lensbury, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for your review of The Lensbury following your recent stay. It is lovely to hear such positive comments and that you enjoyed your visit and would recommend us to others. We are proud of the recent improvements that have been made, the fabulous location and our friendly helpful staff in particular, so thank you for noticing and taking the time to give your feedback. We hope you come back to The Lensbury again soon, when we look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here for the first time last week with my wife and our three year old daughter. Very comfortable room, great breakfast. We had a large room with two king size beds. The best thing about this place is its location, 30 minutes on the train into Waterloo and then back to our room on the banks of the River Thames. It almost seems like a country club but it's practically in London. One slight niggle with a burnt out light bulb in the bedside lamp but to be fair, the night manger had it replaced very swiftly. I travel a lot with my job and I would have no hesitation to stay here again.

Room Tip: If you re travelling with children, ask for family room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
kathyslambert, Sales Coordinator at The Lensbury, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you for your review of The Lensbury following your recent stay. I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and found the room to be comfortable and the breakfast good. We are in a very good location as a base for visiting local attractions and for accessing central London which as you discovered is a direct train ride away. I am sorry there was a burnt out light in your room, but I am happy to hear it was dealt with quickly, so thank you for letting us know.

I do hope you will visit The Lensbury again and when we look forward to welcoming you. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Teddington
The Park Hotel
#6 of 14 in Richmond
Bingham
Bingham
#5 of 14 in Richmond

Been to The Lensbury? Share your experiences!