“Just lost themselves a customer....” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tottington Manor Hotel

Tottington Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Edburton
London
“Just lost themselves a customer....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Myself and my fiancee were actually considering this venue as a place to stage our wedding in 2013. Having arranged a day to see a number of venues and also having gathered the information required from Tottington Manor directly we set off to go and see this magic venue for our special day.

A spectacular setting just at the foot of the downs made for a really nice entrance to the venue.

From the outside this all looked very rustic and charming and as it was approaching lunch time we decided that rather than announce the fact we were there to review for our wedding that we would actually just chill out have some lunch and get a feel for the place.

Upon arrival as it was a Sunday lunch time we did advise that we had not booked but would appreciate if they could fit us in. The lady who served us initially was full of smiles and advised the restaurant was full but we could sit in the bar. No problem, only one table left by the door but it must be good. After grabbing the table and then going back to the bar once we had decided what to order the nice lady with the brown hair had moved on and there were a couple of blonde ladies now serving us (no name badges so couldn't tell who was who). One kind've jumped into action from her slump and dutifully took our order whilst the other got the drinks ready.

The OH ordered Sausage and Mash and I ordered Fish and Chips. Both meals came served hot and on hot plates, neither was anything to call home about but were not bad either. The mash that was served was supposed to be mustard mash however we think the mustard may have been waved over the mash, very little in taste. The description for the chips i feel needs to be altered also to home grown potatoes served as wedges - all 7 of them.

There were two things that put us off using this venue 1) Cleanliness 2) Attitude of the staff.

Cleanliness - very poor, some may call it rustic and charming, I personally call it lazy and dirty. The table where we sat was surrounded all over by cobwebs, not the ideal thing whilst eating your food, the toilets also were not up to much with a sticky floor in the mens and my partner advised the women's were no better.

Attitude - It was obvious to someone who is not from the area that there is defiantly a "clique" of clientele and this was made even more obvious when two people in onesie suits came in who were actively taking part in a treasure hunt, one member of staff commented before they entered the building "what are they wearing and why are they coming in here"? I was in shock more that she was questioning why they wanted to come in - obviously for either a drink or some food.

The blonde lady who collected our plates after the meal also just took them without even asking or offering the opportunity for us to provide any feedback.

Needless to say we did not bother exploring the venue further and got up and left - their loss.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BobNBangers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

A friend and I decided to go to lunch at Tottington, it being close to my house and reccommended by others. When we arrived the staff behind the bar looked startled that we had come in to eat (unsuprising as it was dead, albeit it was a rainy day). We were told we could only sit in the restaurant if we were eating off the restaurant menu and not the bar menu which I can understand as the bar dining area is more relaxed with sofas rather than the gorgeous but formal restaurant, however because of this we had to stand at the bar and decide what we wanted before we could sit down at a table which wasn't ideal. The waitress came over to bring us our drinks and then said "If you need anything we'll be in the function room so come and get us". I found this a bit unwelcoming and unprofessional as they were cleaaring up the function room from a wedding the day before and surely they should have been looking after us as current customers??? The food came (burgers) which were nice...but not the best. The dressing on the side salad was delicious but the portion size for the whole meal wasn't great and the burger bun looked like a tesco's one (clearly it wasn't but it looked like one). All in all a NICE meal, but I expected better, especially as the place itself is lovely. I suppose I would say it would be lovely to go there for drinks but not for a meal, HOWEVER I cannot comment on the restaurant food which I would imagine would be of better quality.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

We stayed at Tottington Manor for a one night stay to celebrate my partner’s birthday. Tottington Manor is small Hotel located in a countryside setting just outside (under 10 miles) of Brighton. On arrival we were shown to our room, which was only one of their Standard Bedrooms, however, this was nice and airy and like most of the bedrooms appears to have just received a redec & facelift.
We then went down to the bar for a drink and sat in the lounge area which was slightly oldie worldie with a beamed ceiling and 3 large leather chesterfields sofas. It had an open fire which must be excellent in the cold winter months.
After a couple of drinks [one criticism the draft beer had just gone] we returned to the bedroom to change for dinner. On returning downstairs and after a pre dinner drink we were shown to our table in the restaurant.
The restaurant is very nice with a lot of space between the well set tables. We were on the Dinner Bed & Breakfast package and were surprised that we were allowed to pick 3 courses from the extensive menus [2] which included 10oz Ribeye & 8 oz Fillet Steaks. I had the Cajun smoked salmon, crevette and crayfish roulades followed by the Fillet Steak & Cheeseboard, whereas my partner [the birthday girl] had King prawns, smoked trout and squid pan fried in sweet chilli butter followed by Rib eye Steak and Sorbet. The food was all excellent and washed down with a very nice choice of house wine.
We then retreated to the lounge for Coffee and reminisced with other guests about the quality of the food we had just experienced.
The following morning received a lovely hearty farmhouse breakfast which set us up for the day and return home.
Overall we both enjoyed our stay and received excellent service from the friendly staff, we will definitely be returning again. Furthermore, the overall experience was very good value for money especially when considering the extensive menus [one just for fish courses] and as we were staying overnight, no worries about drinking & driving or booking a taxi!!!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TOTTINGTON MANOR - EXCELLENT

Room Tip: The Superior Rooms are excellent
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GrahamC68
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

I booked one double room and one single room for accommodation after a wedding reception. As no email confirmation was available at the time of booking (almost unheard of in this day and age), I called a week in advance to confirm the reservation and I was assured everything was in order.

However, when we arrived we were informed there was only a booking for one room under our name! Very fortunately, as more of my friends were staying at the same hotel after the same reception, a camp bed was put up at the end of someone's bed to accommodate the "extra" guest, but clearly this kind of error should be reported so others do not have the same experience.

The lady in charge was pretty unaplogetic - there was a wedding going on at the hotel when we arrived and she was very distracted and unhelpful.

The room itself was large but the walls were paper thin - again fine if you know all your neighbours as we did on this occasion, but if you don't then it's hardly ideal! The bathroom was in need of repair with wires hanging out all over the place.

The breakfast was satisfactory, but for the above reasons I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank mjfbsat
Hereford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

Went to Tottingham Manor to stay as a friends wedding was around the corner. From the minute I arrived the owner seemed to think I was part of a party of guests also going to the wedding and from trying to get the 5 of us to go to dinner, to setting breakfast for me at their breakfast table it was all very uncomfortable.

The room was large but rather tired looking, wall paper coming off, plug sockets in strange places such as behind the bed and large chest of drawers. Shower didnt work properly as water still came out the taps below, scolding the back of my ankles and when I turned down the hot water it only turned down the hot on the shower. Beware the UHT milk is vile too.

I stayed 2 nights and after the first night the cleaning lady came into my room at 9:30 - I only popped down to breakfast for 10mins (wish she hadnt as I was mid throwing everything out my suitcase and felt bad I had created such a mess)

On the second night some friends were staying and while 2 rooms were booked only one room was written down - why can they not send out room confirmations (I rang up 2 weeks ago and the lady spoke to me like I was mad confirming my room again - however it was only written down as my first name!) in the end their suggestion was to put one of the guests on a camp bed in my room, I dont know him that well and wasnt impressed that they assumed this would be ok.

On a positive note they were quite kind to me as a solo guest (once the owner had left) allowing me to bring food to my room from the bar. I just wish the room had lived up to the hype of the hotel name

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank rachybabe2k
London (UK)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

Just want to alert trip advisor regulars what we experienced today. Nothing really bad just an overall disappointing experience. We arrived around 2.30pm and stopped when we saw that food was served till 5pm on Sunday's. The lunch menu was bluntly refused us by an unsmiling and unfriendly young lady. We were told we could only select from the bar menu. We both chose lamb and sat outside to enjoy the lovely view. In far too short a time the food arrived which instantly concerned me. The food was luke warm, and the lamb was very fatty and not medium rare as we had requested when we had been asked our preference. The roast potatoes were extremely hot inside which convinced me they'd been nuked by microwave. We ate as much as we could but there was a lot of fat from the lamb left over. We then ordered coffee, choosing to miss dessert based on the quality of the food we had just eaten. When we went to pay there were no questions about if everything had been all right or if we had enjoyed the meal. Perhaps because they realised we had not. In fact all three staff present were more interested in another conversation than in dealing with us. The demeanour of the staff was unwelcoming, unhelpful and frosty, the food decidedly average if not poor, the price inflated and overall we were left disappointed. We shall not be returning and we will advise our friends of our experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FSGITALY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

We can not recommend Tottington Manor highly enough. From day one the service, support and help we got from Sammy and all the team was absolutely incredible. It was a real personal experience and they always had time for us. The food is amazing and everybody commented on how good it was. The venue all the way through and the views are stunning! It was a perfect day!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Jenjamin C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edburton
The Castle Inn Hotel
Premier Inn Worthing Seafront Hotel
The Bull
The Bull
#1 of 1 in Ditchling

Been to Tottington Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!