“great stay”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Twickenham
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“great stay”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We stayed at the Marriott for the Barbarians v Fiji rugby match. From checking in to the fantastic breakfast we could not fault this hotel .The room was clean and comfortable , the breakfast was fantastic and the staff friendly We are going to the rugby again in June and will be looking forward to staying at this hotel again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I have stayed at the hotel about 5 times, and its one of the better hotels in Twickenham (out of a very small pool). The fixtures and fittings are generic 'world hotel'. Be careful not to book an internal room or you will have a lovely view of a concrete wall.

Its also a ten minute cab ride to Richmond town centre which has a host of good bars and restaurants if you want to escape the corporate environment of the hotel. There are lovely pubs on the river and there is the full range of casual dinning restaurants right up to good but expensive restaurants attached to some of the hotels on Richmond Hill. Richmond also has a good cinema and theatre too.

When it first opened the Virgin Active was very nice, but standards have really slipped and the changing rooms are very dirty, the walls in the gym look very scruffy and need repainting. Lots of small maintenance jobs have also been left like worn out carpet tiles around the machines, and lime scale needs removing from around tap and the spa area. Its a real shame as it used to be a great gym.

Room Tip: Be careful - most internal rooms look out onto a concrete wall
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a trip to London & had a great stay.
Our room was very clean and spacious, with lovely fluffy towels and crisp, clean sheets on the massive bed!
There is a bar downstairs which was ok.
There's nothing to do in the near vicinity so if you want to take an extra little drink with you it might be an idea.
We would return again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed here on Saturday to go to the Barbarians rugby match. Hotel was at full capacity and very very busy, but service was excellent. Every member of staff spoke to us and asked if we needed any help. Im my previous experience in London, this is very unusual. Room was clean and bed very comfortable. We had booked a table in the restaurant for the evening, food was delivered fast and efficiently. We thought we may struggle at breakfast due to the number of guests, but t yet again the experience was stress free and all the staff at breakfast service were happy to help/advise. Very impressive and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
St Ives, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Have used this hotel a few times on match days, always busy but well handled in past. The visit for England NZ game saw a different approach of not allowing public into hotel. Asked why and was told lot of functions prevented it.

Was also told that a lot of staff were temporary, not surprising bearing in mind the extra volume, but some bad experiences over breakfast suggested that the quality has decreased or management briefing not as good as in past.

Breakfast timings changed for day after match day, signs up in lifts etc to say 11.30am. When we went into breakfast at 10.40, many items were not being replenished. Asked for top-up of container of grapefruit juice or just a glass. Was told hotel had completely run out! Not likely in a hotel of this quality so asked server, she said her staff would be telling the truth but would check! She returned shortly with the grapefruit juice, so good on her for not fobbing me off as her colleague had.

It got worse as at 10.58am staff removed breakfast items and we were unable to complete breakfast. Was not 100% sure re 11.30 end to breakfast as we eat, so asked server - she said it was definitely 11am. Even so, my usual hotel experience is food is not removed until sometime after cut off time. It was only on return to room I saw sign in lift again that clearly said usual breakfast time extended that morning until 11.30am - so seems temporary staff not told and permanent staff running dining room also not told. Reception not aware either. Had to take photo of sign to convince them. Reception did not seem too worried but said they would escalate matter - not that I heard anything more some 2 weeks later.

Hotel fills up of course due to location next to stadium, so maybe a level of complacency evident in service on matchdays. Rooms themselves clean, well laid out and best of all is the proximity to ground as hotel it is part of stadium.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We've stayed here many times before. It's our automatic choice for London visits.

My tip is to ask for a south facing room, so you're looking out over Twickenham, rather than the wall of the stadium.

Staff are pleasant and effective. The car park is fine, albeit's over the other side, so you effectively walk around one end of the stadium to get to it. Breakfast is as you'd expect of a 4 star business hotel. It's good to see a waffle iron there now too.

Rooms are comfy. If you've stayed at a Marriott before, you know what to expect from comfort and decor. The best thing is the empty minibar. Essentially just a fridge, you can fill it yourself with wine, milk and water (we do). No accidentally opening it and moving expensive drinks that you don't really want or need.

We're back again in a few weeks.

Room Tip: Ask for a south facing room, looking out back over Twickenham. 281 bus stops are right outside the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This 4 star hotel aesthetically lives up to its reputation, clean large rooms etc. However my personal experience of this hotel left me disappointed and embarrassed. Being a young woman alone in London I expected the same welcome as any other guest checking into this hotel. My room was pre booked through booking.com, the staff initially could not find my booking, when eventually found I was asked to provide my card for payment, which I did. My card was then declined twice, I proceeded to the cash point to withdraw money (from the same account using the same card) and pay cash for my room. The staff were abrupt and requested I leave a further £50 at desk in case of damages, to which I replied I would have to go back to cash point. A female member of staff explained I did not have to leave the £50, then the male member of staff told me my account would be blocked and the restaurant stops taking cash after a certain time. The whole service and way I was spoken to made me feel embarrassed and inadequate to stop in this hotel, I was treated as a 'poor person' although I had more than enough money to pay for my room twice over. Needless to say I would not recommend this hotel and will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: Request one on outside of building as my view was of a wall inside stadium
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank kelly f
Also consider these accommodations in or near Twickenham
Premier Inn London Twickenham Stadium Hotel
Premier Inn London Twickenham East Hotel
Richmond Gate Hotel
Richmond Gate Hotel
#4 of 11 in Richmond

Been to London Marriott Hotel Twickenham? Share your experiences!