“Nice Rooms & Location”

London Marriott Hotel Twickenham
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Twickenham
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Set in the Twickenham rugby stadium, which is really good for matches and other events. Rooms were very good and the staff helpful and accommodating. Although it was a very long walk from reception to our room, avoid room numbers around the early 1400, 1500 & 1600 as it is a long walk from the lifts. It also seemed that you had to pay for the TV & Movies, although that could have been us not looking correctly? Otherwise a very good hotel. Good for getting into London Waterloo, but try to make the fast trains, avoid the stoppers.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Modern hotel, with good, large rooms - as long as you're not on the inside, with a view of a wall!
Breakfasts are good, but dinners are rather average.
However, it's not far to walk into the town for some really good restaurants, or to go further afield to Richmond or Kew.

Room Tip: Ask for one looking over the street.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Magdalena E, Director of Operations at London Marriott Hotel Twickenham, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Richard B,
Thank you for your review. I am glad you were satisfied with the size and quality of our bedrooms.
I am sorry to hear you found the quality of food in the evening on an average level. We always aim to be second to none and you will be pleased to hear we have launched new menus in all our outlets in order to improve our guests' experience. Thank you for your kind comments regarding breakfast.

I hope we will have a chance to welcome you back soon,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I am seasoned business traveller, I found this hotel expensive and I cant believe that breakfast was £18. The hotel is very nice, however I kept getting woken up by whirring machinery every hour or so throughout the night. I did report this to the hotel management and really they couldn't have cared less.

Overall a nice hotel, expensive spoilt by the indifferent attitude of staff.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Magdalena E, Director of Operations at London Marriott Hotel Twickenham, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear mjdriver,

Thank you for your comments and for choosing our hotel for your recent stay in the area.
Thank you for your comments regarding the pricing.
We do offer advance purchase of breakfast at the reception desk for a discounted price and I am sorry if that has not been explained to you.
With regards to the noise, I am aware of the challenge you faced during your stay here and that you reported this issue to one of our Duty Managers.
Dear mjdriver, unfortunately the Duty Manager you spoke to forgotten to confirm your contact details and therefore we were unable to get back to you upon conducting the investigation regarding the noise.
I would be very grateful if you contacted me on my email address, which is magdalena.eliasz@marriotthotels.com so I can apologise in person and discuss this matter with you further.
I do look forward to speaking to you soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

There were a number irritating factors associated with our one night stay at The Marriott Twickenham.
The Car park is further than I thought, thank goodness it wasn't raining when we arrived. be prepared for a 5 min walk, longer if you're heavily burdened.
I asked at reception if we could be on the same floor as our friends, "YES!" they said ............... but we ended up on different floors anyway! The WiFi cost £15 a night from the rooms!! There was nothing in the mini bar but, and as a previous contributor has mentioned, the bottled water was an extortionate £3 for a small bottle, so maybe you'd need a small mortgage for a whisky if it was on offer. The £80 p.n. stay didn't include breakfast which was £20. We went to The Fallow Deer in Twickenham and had a slap up meal with pot of tea for £8 in unquestionably a better environment.
The Marriott Twickenham is a soulless place, clean, tidy, functional but lacking any spirit.
I wont go into the details of how they have contrived to take £215 from my account as opposed to the £80. I'm sure they'll realise their error and reimburse, so I won't pass judgment on this glitch just yet.
The one saving grace were the pillows. They were lovely, although the bed felt a little lumpy, nowhere near the comfort mattresses in the Premier Inn. The A/C was powerful too, good in a warm summer evening.
Won't be hurrying back though.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear marti m

Thank you for your review.
I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your experience at our hotel.
Indeed there is a short walk from the car park to the hotel. This is due to the fact the hotel is located at the south stand of the Twickenham Stadium and the car park is near the north and west stands. There is a turning circle at the front of the hotel, where we allow our guests to stop and leave their luggage with our Front of House team, before parking their car
I also would like to apologise for the fact we did not allocate your rooms as per your requests. I have followed it up with our front office team to ensure we improve in this area. Marti m , although we do charge for the wi- fi in our bedrooms, we try to enhance our customers’ experience by providing free internet access in our public areas. I apologise if this was not sufficient for your needs during your stay.
I am sorry to hear you feel the prices of the food and beverage offerings have not met your expectations. I would like to assure you that we continuously compare our pricing strategy to other hotels in the area, and we believe that our pricing is fair and justifies the level of service we provide.
With regards to your account, I am unable to retrieve all details as I am not sure which booking this review refers to, however we normally preauthorise a specific amount of money on guests card on arrival (room rate plus £50 for extras per night) which is then released upon the check out. Please do not hesitate to contact me if this preauthorisation is still pending, as I will be more than happy to look into that for you.

I am glad that you enjoyed the quality of our pillows and the air conditioning.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back to our hotel one day,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

As a fairly seasoned global business traveller I tend to opt for hotels such as the Marriott Twickenham as my preferred option. They are all usually of a type and standard with not bad surprises. I do usually expect free wifi in this day and age and this is lacking at the Marriott Twickenham.
This trip however was for family fun, namely at the nearby Chessington world of adventures. About 25 mins by car through nice neighbourhoods.
One of the main reasons we chose this hotel was the for the advertised pool. We booked through hotel.com and all seemed well. We did not reserve the extortionate £18 per person breakfast instead opting for much more reasonable Tesco version a mere 5 minute walk away.

The rooms are well equipped and clean and we were given the choice of 2 double to suit our family requirement with the addition of a baby cot.

The staff were very helpful and friendly and offered advice about where to eat locally etc.

Two main problems:
The parking..The hotel advertises as having parking. In reality the parking is somewhere in the stadium parking, very poorly sign posted and difficult to find. We drove round the stadium twice looking for the parking, which turned out to be through a construction site. I am still not sure I parked in the correct place. It is in no way secure and about 5 mins walk to the hotel entrance. There is a drop off pick up point about 100yds from the front door, so families and guests with reduced mobility would do well to use this. Although again it is not clear anywhere this is the case.

The second issue for us was indeed the biggest issue. We had booked this hotel for two reasons, the first as stated due its proximity to the attraction and the second due its pool.

We had hoped to have two or three family swim sessions during our stay as its something we love to do.
However on arrival we were told that the pool is actually in the Virgin Active health club next door...great we thought, VA clubs are lovely...we were then told that due to the fact we had children with us we could only use the pool at certain times...
It transpires that there was only one family swim on thursday mornings (already passed), none of Fridays and one at 10:45 (for 1 hour) on Saturdays. We could therefore only make the most of this one session.
Disappointing to say the least..

All in all it served our purposes but next time we will look for a true family friendly hotel for this type of trip...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Magdalena E, Director of Operations at London Marriott Hotel Twickenham, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Jonathan B,

Thank you for your review and for choosing our hotel for your recent stay in the area.
I am glad to hear you found the location and the service satisfactory. We take pride in delivering outstanding customer service and our customers’ satisfaction is our outmost priority.

I am sorry to hear you found it challenging to find the car park. Indeed there are some works to the stadium being done at the moment, which makes parking not as convenient as it normally is.
Thank you for this feedback, we are working on ensuring better signage is in place.

I would also like to apologise for not meeting your expectations regarding the family swim times. As you mentioned they are restricted, due to high volume of gym members’ activities. I am sorry the times were not convenient for you. We do advertise on our website and in the confirmation letter that children are allowed in the pool only at certain times, as we do acknowledge the fact not everyone is satisfied with the timing of family swim times.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope I will be able to welcome you back to the hotel one day,

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The London Marriott – Twickenham - 11/07/2014 and 12/07/2014

Positives - The location was really good, the room was well appointed and the large bed very comfortable. There was an empty fridge - always useful for adding fresh milk and beers. Tea and coffee making facilities were available. TV had lots of channels. Free WiFi in the reception area.

Negatives - My husband does not go in lifts so if you need to use the stairs you have to inform the staff so you can be escorted both out and in. The car park was some 400 metres from the entrance to the hotel and badly signposted due to roadworks to the area around the stadium.

The price of bottled water was ridiculous - 3 pounds for a 75cl bottle. Breakfast was 18.50 per person although you could have had a basket of croissant, Danish and rolls with preserves and butter for 7.75 - a 3 pound tray charge would be added if having it in your room. There was access to WiFi in your room but 6 pound an hour seems a bit high when the room charge is over 100 pounds per night.

We booked the Friday night via Booking.com at a really good rate - 80 pounds for the room, we booked directly with the hotel for the Saturday night - 107 pounds so do your research to find the best room rate.

The centre of London is easy to get to so check out the one day travel ticket which costs less than 9 pounds but can be used on the train, underground and bus - the ticket can be purchased at Twickenham railway station.

Room Tip: The hotel is vast - our room 335, was a long walk from the lifts so if you have any mobility issues...
1  Thank OnieOne

Dear OnieOne

Thank you for your review!

I am so pleased you were satisfied with your bedroom and the amenities we provided. I do agree, the empty fridge always comes handy, especially with the recent weather we had in the London area!
I am sorry to hear about the challenges you faced with the stairs and the car park. I understand it is not convenient to be escorted up and down the stairs all the time. The benefit of being part of the beautiful complex of Rugby Stadium comes with a price of operating in high levels of security. All our fire stairs are alarmed, and there is no other way to move around the hotel if you don’t want to use the lift. I hope we provided you with sufficient assistance and minimized this discomfort.
I also would like to acknowledge the comment about the car park. Thank you for this feedback, we are looking into improving the signage.
With regards to the pricing, I am sorry to hear you found it excessive. I would like to assure you that our pricing strategy is in line with other hotels in the area, and I trust it reflects the levels of service we provide.
Our room prices are based on availability and the forecasted demand. We have a strict policy to always offer the best available rate on our website, and we were selling above £107 on other booking websites for the Saturday night you mentioned.
Once again thank you for your review, please have a look on our website for even more competitive prices for your next visit.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights over a weekend. We have stayed in other Marriotts and found this one to be one of their nicer hotels. Checking in was easy, so was parking the car, despite what other reviewers say. The check in girl told us to bring our bags in while car left outside and taking them to our room. Then she gave us a small map to explain where to park our car which is extremely easy and just around the corner. It was then a 3-4 minute walk back to hotel entrance, not the 10 mins other people said! Our room was fabulous on the fourth floor with a lovely panoramic view over the front of hotel into the distance. The beds are so fabulously comfly with great bed linen and pillows. My only criticism of the room is the bathroom doors - they are really stupid and whoever designed them was obviously on another planet. We ate in the South restaurant both nights and were served by Samantha Martin who we found to be the best waitress we have experienced in a long time. She was happy, pleasant, helpful, friendly and very efficient. We cannot thank Samantha enough and if any colleagues of hers are reading this then tell her Mr and Mrs R with a daughter in Australia found her a lovely person and enjoyed her company at our meal. One other criticis was the loud foul mouthed lady coming back to her room in the early hours using ripe language with scant regard for others in the hotel, but that was not a reflection on the hotel, just on the low level guest staying in a nearby room! Check out was easy and we were offered help with luggage which was very good, but we were able to manage an couple of overnight bags. All in all we found our stay to be happy, relaxed, comfortable and would highly recommend this hotel and a big thank you to Samantha !!

Room Tip: Ask for high room with a good view and a long way from the lift so it is really quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Twickenham
Travelodge Twickenham
#1 of 3 in Teddington
Richmond Gate Hotel
Richmond Gate Hotel
#7 of 14 in Richmond

Been to London Marriott Hotel Twickenham? Share your experiences!