“Good value for money”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Twickenham
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Good value for money”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It's basic but perfectly fine for one or two nights I would say. Clean room, no complaints. Train noise not an issue - it's got double-glazed windows. Check in/out and staff experience very good. Breakfast was actually nicer then in some higher priced hotels I have been staying before.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Christian S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Tean
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Very clean comfortable modern facilities but stripped of every 'extra' unless one requested it at reception. Insufficient towels, no toiletries, no hairdryer in the room, just 2 teabags etc. We'll take our own next time!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Blackbird1946
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The twickenham travelodge is ideally situated next to train station unfortunately the station was closed the weekend we were there but close to the river, bars & shops a lovely area! The travelodge has a very high standard of cleanliness and the staff extremely friendly and helpful (beds very comfy)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

2 Thank Sharon H
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Would love to leave a review of this hotel however I can’t, due entirely to the fact Travel Lodge will take your money, double book rooms and ask you to go to a cheaper alternative Travelodge –even though our rooms and those of other people (which included families) who had pre-paid were not available.

We were offered alternative accommodation in another Travelodge further away and due to our circumstances this was not convenient. There was also no mention of refunding the difference. The other Travelodge is a lot cheaper.

We were told that they tried to contact us. We had no e-mails or missed phone calls – nor did any of the other people who were left without a room.

So my party’s options were – alternative hotel, which we couldn’t do (I wished we could) or nowhere to stay. We had travelled some distance to get to Twickenham that day and were left without accommodation. Thanks.

It then took us close to an hour to get a refund. I felt sorry for the receptionist (he was in an impossible situation) as he was left, with an increasingly annoyed crowd, none of whom had the rooms they had paid for, without the ability to make any decisions or offer any solutions. There was no management present. This was a busy Saturday, with a fully booked hotel, on a Twickenham match day and no management on site.

One of the employees there did mention that double booking, apparently, is fairly common place with this hotel.

Here are some pointers.

1. If you know you have overbooked – make sure there is someone on site to make decisions.
2. Have a word with your security as any reasonable but annoyed crowd being told to ‘calm down’ without offering any solutions will probably do the exact opposite.
3. Did I mention about having no management on site.

Travelodge you are usually better than this - very very poor all round.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jim O
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel during the weekend of 2-4 May 2014 as I was attending the Army v Navy Rugby match at Twickenham stadium.
This is a very popular event and a good opportunity to meet up with friends and ex colleagues as well as watch the Army beat the Navy every year ;-)
The greeting at the hotel was welcoming and I was eager to see my 'adapted' room. The room was clean and tidy, fresh and bright, no complaints there. I was disappointed with the bed, it wasn't wide enough considering being an 'adapted' room for disabled, common sense would realize that perhaps slightly more consideration needed to be applied. A wider, firmer bed, firmer pillows, plug socket close to bed rather than just the two on the opposite side of the room. A hairdryer would have been a welcome addition also. Travelling light for a day or two would be easier if you didn't have to carry such a thing in your luggage.
Our room was positioned right next to a main door for entry to the corridor. I was concerned that, as I knew the hotel would be at capacity, that the noise of the door opening and closing several times at intervals during the night, I would be disturbed. It wasn't too bad but again consideration should have been applied as to where to position such a room. It is close to the lift so I suppose difficult to have a good balance there. I wasn't disturbed too much as other guests were quite respectful and pretty quiet.
On the Saturday morning my friend decided to have breakfast. As I am on a special diet there was nothing I could have eaten to warrant me parting with the £7.50 ish that it cost. My friend is a professional chef so has high standards, however, takes the cost of the meal into account. He ate heartily and was satisfied that the breakfast was worth the cost for him.
We left the room to go and watch the rugby match and on our return there was a letter placed on the table to inform us that the bar would close between the hours of 2000-2200.
No one had been informed at the time of booking that this would happen. Every room had one of these letters left whilst the room was 'made up', rather a cowardly way of doing things and one that angered most of the residents that were there to enjoy a relaxed weekend.
When questioned 'why is the bar closed'? No real answer was forthcoming. Just that management had told the staff to do so.
I paid for a room for the weekend and expected to be able to enjoy all the facilities at the hotel during my stay.
The person in charge of the bar area at that time was asked if the bar closed when any other large rugby matches were being played, or just the Army v Navy. It was confirmed that this was the case. The bar remains open during large international matches for example, and only closed because military and ex military had a reputation for causing trouble etc. DISCRIMINATION no other word for it. Now closing the bar DID cause people to be aggravated and upset because we were not given the information at the time of booking but just sprung on us without being given any good reason for the closure.
Obviously people wanted an explanation as those that had come into the hotel and not been back to their rooms were unaware of the closure until they went to order drinks or food.
One member of the security staff contracted to work that evening was aggressive and exacerbated the situation by being disrespectful and snatching the paper he had been given explaining about the closure. He did not handle the situation well at all. I was disgusted and even lost my temper at his behaviour towards a fellow veteran.
Fortunately there was one member off the security team that did know how to deal with the situation and was very respectful, calming and passive. The main aggressor decided to make a complaint to the police and civilian police officers as well as Military Police officers attended en-mass to react to his complaint. When asked why they had requested RMP his reaction was 'well you're all army aren't you'?! Ignorance as well as arrogance!! I was disgusted that they had made us all feel as if we were scum and not worthy or able to behave normally for two hours! I would like to know what difference the two hours were going to make and why the management thought it reasonable to discriminate between the usual civilian guests at the hotel and this weekend where the guests were more than likely to be serving or veterans, have possibly paid a higher rate during this busy weekend for the room and are denied the ability to use the facilities.
This for me marred what should have been a very happy and relaxed trip catching up with old colleagues and friends who most of us don't get to see but for this once a year event.
Is this another 'big name brand' that needs to be boycotted by military and veterans alike to make a point that we will not tolerate being discriminated against?!
Management - please answer my concerns.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Slinkyx2625
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Saturday 26th April was last game of rugby season for London Scottish. So, I knew I would be "tired and emotional". Booked into Travelodge, Twickenham. Easy reservation via web. Competent checkin although receptionist surprised when I asked for room on floor 8 to be changed to one on floor 4 or below (where the fire engine ladders can reach). He did caution me on noise from station opposite but I didn't notice it. OK breakfast if you bring your own spoon. I had to walk from car park around hotel to reception on Sunday morning to return to collect bags as my plastic key wouldn't release door access at lower level.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

2 Thank Lance Q
Jersey, Channel Islands
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have stayed here before and always been pleased. An overnight London visit had me looking at all the grossly overpriced hotels in London and the Clapham Travelodge that would have been more convenient for me was totally sold out.
Back to the faithful Twickenham Travelodge that is ideally placed next to the station and an easy commute from Clapham or Waterloo. Price was good and breakfast adequate for a very reasonable £6.95p.
Room was good, bed extremely comfortable, shower facilities fine and reasonable bar prices. The new 30 minutes free wifi policy is not a problem as 24 hours access only costs £3. I would rather wifi is free but 24 hours for the price of a pint won't break the bank.
Reception was friendly and I had a very pleasant overnight stay. I am used to bringing my own toiletries having used Travelodge frequently and I have no complaints whatsoever about what Travelodge Twickenham offers for a very fair price. I would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Go for as high a floor as possible.