“Handy to get into London”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Alexander Pope

The Alexander Pope
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Twickenham
“Handy to get into London”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Room was very good, Clean and well proportioned room for three people. Excellent location by River and very convenient for train or bus into central London.
Breakfast was disappointing, cooked was ok but remaining selection was poor, constantly needing to ask staff for plates bread for toast, milk and butter for table.
Would stay again but may do room only.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Recently stayed here as I had a contract renovating flats in Twickenham, this was our 3rd visit to the area but first time we'd stayed at the Alexander and all I can say is that it served our purposes very well in deed, it worked out cheaper and of a higher quality than the other hotels we had stayed in the area and I would highly recommend it, with particular mention of the high quality of service which just added to the whole experience

• Stayed November 2013
Le Havre France
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We spent a week-end at the Pope a few weeks ago for a family wedding. The rooms were spacious, the breakfasts yummy and the staff were kind and welcoming. We were able to enjoy meals or a drink with our kids in the downstairs lounge. There was also a small secure garden arear where the kids could run around safely. No problems whatsoever! Thanks for such a great time!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I live locally and use the bar occasionally but had never eaten there before yesterday when 4 of us decided to try it out for Sunday lunch. Our order was taken and the food arrived in good time - that's always a plus. My food was on the acceptable side of warm - but only just. We then had to pause while the waiter sauntered off to get our cutlery. This seemed to be standard practice as we watched the same bizarre routine unfold at adjacent tables. Why not set the table when the order is taken? Two of us had the roast beef. The best thing about the dish were the excellent Yorkshire puddings. The 3/4 slices of beef were wafer thin to the point of transparency and the veggies were non-descript. My partner's roast pork was a better option and our final dish - a chicken salad - was probably the best of all. Overall the meal was ok but nothing special and there are pubs in the area offering cheaper and better sunday lunches. A final word: service was perfunctory. Apart from the friendly young woman behind the bar the rest of the staff came across as disinterested and disengaged. What a po-faced lot.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Delhicharles
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Only stayed there one night, so might not be able to provide a thorough review.

The room was furbished to a super high quality and far exceeded my expectations. The bed was fantastic! The room also had a view of the Thames - an added bonus. The surrounding area seems pleasant and quite safe.

If commuting is of any concern, the hotel is not too far from the Strawberry Hill train station (5-10 min walk) which has direct trains to central London.

I did have breakfast at their restaurant, which wasn't bad at all as far as breakfasts go.

Needed to leave my luggage post checkout for a few hours and the manager(owner?) was most helpful. Top notch service.

Would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Awful, awful lunch here, possibly the most disgusting BLT I've ever had, full of fat, under cooked and not presented well..those with me had cold chips too! At least we could watch the football? Not the premiership, they don't have it on BT. Ok, we'll watch the Championship ... until the manager rudely switched it off and walked away! Standards have really gone down here, shocking.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Meohmy68
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I gave a really good review of this hotel last year, we stayed again this year and it was just as great. Old review stands for the Hotel and staff. We had started to stay here for the Rugby and on this trip we stayed for the 7's final in the summer.
Everything was great ...UNTIL ....we went to leave the car park in our brand new car. The car is about a year old, but new to us, it's a a Jag XF so has a sporty front end. On the way out of the underground car park the front end grounded, I took pictures of the road and you can see that we were not the only ones. I also took pictures of the underside of the car too. :(
Manager wasn't there, but duty manger, who was kind of helpful but actually a little rude either did not pass on my message to be called the following week, Or the hotel doesn't want or value our return business as they have never bothered to call us, it's been a month now. I have put the service as terrible simply because of this. The service wasn't terrible during our stay as the staff are great and work really hard. The location is great for Twickers but awful if you like the bottom of your car not to be scrapped as you leave the car park.
I don't want compensation, I just wanted them to warn people that they could damage their cars coming out of the car park. I believe it's called a "duty of care"
I never judge a business when things go wrong, because things do go wrong... But I do judge a business on how hard they try to put things right....

Room Tip: ask for a room looking out the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Alexanderpope H, Manager at The Alexander Pope, responded to this review, 29 September 2013
Thank you for your recent review and whilst I am very pleased that you enjoyed your visit I was most concerned to learn of the problem you encountered when exiting the car park. The manager on duty did report it to me and I have taken a look at the area to see first hand what the issue might be. The area to which you refer is a part of the public highway and as such we have no jurisdiction or liability over it. There is a slight incline to the level of the public road and this may have been as a result of the recent resurfacing undertaken by the council . I will ensure that this is brought to their attention and to see if there is anything that can be done.
I am indeed sorry that this should have occured but rest assured that I hope to spur the council into action. I do hope that you will return again whereupon I might point out any improvements that the council may have undertaken.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Twickenham
London Marriott Hotel Twickenham
Premier Inn London Twickenham East Hotel
The Park Hotel
The Park Hotel
#3 of 3 in Teddington

Been to The Alexander Pope? Share your experiences!