“relaxing cosy and elegant!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Alexander Pope

The Alexander Pope
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Twickenham
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“relaxing cosy and elegant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

really happy to recommend one of our favourite hotels - right on the Thames and next to lovely Radnor Gardens in Strawberry Hill. We've stayed here several times and been very well looked after by courteous friendly staff. Lovely food too- a most attractive dining room. Thank you Alexander Pope!

Room Tip: One that looks over the river!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed just one night here when visiting St Mary's University College (about ten minutes' walk away). It's a similar distance from the railway station at Strawberry Hill. I arrived fairly late, having had dinner in central London with a friend. Check-in was without fuss, my room was large and comfortable with its own roof terrace overlooking the road at the front - too cold and too dark to use then, but a nice touch. The room was very well-appointed but had noisy air conditioning/heating which I couldn't turn off. Breakfast was table service, and I had some very good poached eggs on toast and coffee. There was a range of cereals for those who wanted them.

The hotel bar/restaurant was fairly full when I arrived, so presumably popular with locals as well as visitors.

Room Tip: If staying in the summer, ask for a room with a terrace.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We arrived close to the start of the rugby match having hit the match traffic to be advised that they had not reserved us a parking space and they were full so we'd have to park in a side street and bring the car back later. Upon expressing dissatisfaction as an email sent a week prior stated parking and earlier check in would not be an issue. The chap on reception said he'd see if the manager was still on site and came back with another man to which I was told to park in the disabled space as they have no enforcement on site. Having done this I then begun to check in to be told the room might not be ready but they could that care of our luggage upon it was. This again displeased me due to the email confirmation so the reception chap went upstairs to check. The room was ready but we were now officially late for the start of the match :( we had a brisk walk to the ground (25 mins) through the centre which seemed to have a number of shops cafe's pubs and eateries. The room was clean and warm and well equipped, we had a superior room. We didn't eat in the restaurant at night as we had arrangements in London. We travelled by train from Strawberry Hill station (only 8 mins walk) but Twickenham station was only about 14 mins away. We had a pleasant nights rest and woke to find our ordered paper was not outside our door :( Breakfast on Sunday was 8-10 and we went down at 9.30 to find we had to wait for a table to be made up! There was no sugar or butter on the table and had to 'borrow' off a vacated one. We ordered our breakfast and helped ourselves to the buffet items. When breakfast came, I was give eggs florentine instead of eggs Benedict's and the waitress apologised and quickly arranged to correct. When the correct order arrived, I felt the poached eggs had been rushed as still 'slimy' so couldn't eat it :( Despite these few upsets, we had a pleasant stay and the staff were very nice. Would go back :)

• Stayed November 2013
Teddington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Now I think an hotel is a like a book. The content is the quality of its character not the cover, and Popes Grotto has an attractive cover. It is a charming small hotel in a handy location for all the wonderful cultural attractions of Richmond. It promises classic and award winning dishes, and desserts to die for. Well we had a main course for lunch but that was enough. We declined the dessert in case we did die. My meal was pasta squashed up in a big heap like a mole hill in a salad garden. I had to ask for some cream to pour over it to make it less of a challenge to eat. My partner had a graceless and inelegant beef pie with chips that looked like wilted plants in the sun. If the menu had described them as provocative pasta and boring beef pie we wouldn't have minded. We then thought that tea would assist our digestion. This this promptly arrived but the waiter forgot the saucers for the cups. I'm not one for ceremony but as other people seemed to have them why not us too. I tried several times to attract his attention by waving my hand in the air but this only drew the curiosity of other guests who might have though I had a nervous disorder. Eventually I went over to the waiter and he did bring the saucers so refinement was restored. Anyway the meal was expensive and clearly not very good. So go for a drink in pleasant surroundings but go to a take-away for your meal.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank James3Teddington
Butterwick, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

We booked just out of London to avoid the traffic & the costs of the hotels in London, however even though this hotel was cheaper then London it was still quite expensive.

We booked a superior double, expecting the room to be spectacular, but I was disappointed The room was on the top floor, which over looked the Thames, you could just make it out, from behind the trees. The room was large & there was plenty of space to move around.
The bed was comfy & there were plenty of tea available, not so much coffee.
There were no instructions on how to operate the heating, or the air conditioning, or the lighting, (the card has to stay in the slot in the wall). The bathroom was large, with a shower over the bath, which was very slippy, lucky there was a handle to hold on it.

The lift did not work, so we had to take all our bags & case up two flights of stairs, the stairs leading to our floor was filthy, they looked like they had not been hoovered, and this mess remained there for our two night stay.

The room needs to be updated, it was very tired looking, there were marks on the wall in the bathroom, the pelmets in the main room were shabby & the net curtains needed a wash.

Breakfast was included, which was very nice, on the Sunday morning we were not asked what our room number was, I had to let them know, yet on the Monday morning the waitress was very friendly & efficient asking us our room number. Sunday morning there was a hair on the butter, when I complained all I got was the butter back with the bit of hair removed from it!!! and a mumbled sorry!!

Overall the hotel was nice, but could do with a bit of updating. But we would not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Val A
Guildford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stayed here while visiting friends for the weekend. Disappointed! The sky television is not available in the rooms even though it is advertised as such. We were given the option of watching in the bar but not really the same. The room looked very tired. The bath mat was wet and dirty. The lamp shade on the desk looked as it it had been screwed up and stamped on. The staff in the bar restaurant were all very friendly and helpful but rather reactive than proactive! Waited 10 minutes for a pot of tea and then another 5 for cups to put the tea into. Paid extra for this hotel, Premier Inn for us next time which is cheaper and offers the same basic facilities at a cheaper rate.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sen0j
Poole
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

I stayed for 2 nights B and B in September to attend a conference. First impressions on entering the pub/hotel- rather dreary and shabby. However , the receptionist was friendly, helpful and very welcoming. My room faced the river, although not very visible, the vista was pleasant. The room was nicely decorated and spotlessly clean. Excellent hospitality tray, lovely bathroom . Breakfast was a little chaotic, service slow, but the food itself was freshly cooked and delicious. Again, friendly staff, and as a woman travelling alone, felt well looked after. My two evening meals were a little disappointing- the steak fairly tough for one meal, and my beef burger was served medium to rare on the second meal. I sent this back and it was graciously changed for a well done burger. I felt i should have been asked how I preferred this to be cooked, but perhaps I am mistaken? However, on the whole, a very pleasant stay, but some serious refurbishment required. Many thanks to the staff for their professionalism.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Twickenham
London Marriott Hotel Twickenham
Travelodge Twickenham
Travelodge Twickenham
#5 of 6 in Twickenham
Premier Inn London Twickenham East Hotel

Been to The Alexander Pope? Share your experiences!