I'm not sure where to start with this review. I guess the beginning is best! I've been visiting the Lancaster, Pa area for over 30 years. It has and remains my favorite place to visit. The hard part is that there are so many places to stay and the choice is difficult. This time, my family( wife and daughter) were starting a tradition of spending the weekend after Thanksgiving away. We were looking to keep the weekend expenses to a minimal so I spent a month looking for the right price. I finally decided to gamble and use Hotwire and went for there 2 star hotel choice. Upon learning of the hotel I panicked and tried desperately to make a change to no avail. The reviews on this site were scary but after finding their Facebook page and learning there had been an owner change and that they were making an effort to make changes, I decided to stick with it.
To be honest and this may sound strange the biggest hurdle the HDFI has to clear is its past. Some excellent reviews on this site, show that in its hay day it was a great place to eat and stay. Actually, as we drove onto the site for the first time, my wife and I said to each other " we've eaten here before" and we had! However, a rundown, deserted building is all that is left of the restaurant even though breakfast and room service are still listed as amenities.
Not only is the past hurting but the owners continued reliance on it, is hurting as well. Advertisements throughout the area still promote it as a motel and restaurant including the big billboard sign on rt 340. The amount of cars that pulled in and then out expecting a restaurant was numerous. False advertising is a turnoff. In my opinion to look towards the future you must leave the past( good and bad) behind.
Now to our stay. Check in was routine and I was greeted kindly and presented my key. As others reported the office is closed more than its open. It just did not have a feel of a motel from the outset. The property is dated and in need of major renovations( promised to come soon by the owners). The room was looked like and obvious effort was made to be clean and tidy but was definitely old and smelt like 1975. The heat worked and the hot water was fine. You may say "so what!" but other reviews said otherwise and by the looks of things I was surprised they did work. The cable TV worked and had a lot of channels. The location is perfect also!The grounds have potential, the deck, playground area and breathtaking farm views are a must. However, unfortunately the few positives are outweighed by too many negatives. No wi-fi as advertised ( for travelers today, this is a must). There still appears to people living on the lower level. While they caused no problems, for a reputable establishment( or one trying to be one) this is definitely a no-no. It just does not feel like a motel. It was very inexpensive but for a few dollars more you could receive so much more elsewhere. It is not the disgusting slum that others have described but I could understand the sentiment. The price is right if you just want to rest your head on a pillow but I as a traveler are looking for more.
I so much wanted to like this place especially since the owners reached out to me on Facebook but it just has a long way to go before I would visit again. They appear to realize the work they have ahead of them and I wish them well but could not recommend others to stay here, yet!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape from it all at Lancaster County's Hidden Gem where travelers rest and enjoy the Amish country views. LOCATION: Ideal for Peaceful and Convenient Getaway! Off the beaten path, the sound of rush hour traffic is horse and buggies going by. Nestled among working farms between Route 340 and US 30 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch Country. We are minutes away from shopping, dining, Amish country tours, amusement parks and popular attractions, including Bird-In-Hand Farmers Market, Kitchen Kettle Village, Dutch Wonderland, Hersheypark and Sight & Sound Theatre. We are conveniently located just 15 miles from Lancaster Airport, 45 miles from Harrisburg Airport and 60 miles from Philadelphia Airport. PROPERTY AMENITIES: 50 newly appointed guest rooms, Fisher's Amish Restaurant onsite offering farm to fork cuisine, Scenic Village Banquet and Conference Center offering 4500 sq. ft. of combined event space, free coffee and hot tea in the lobby, gazebo and patio overlooking the farmland, playground, guest coin laundry GUEST ROOM FEATURES: Free wireless internet, refrigerator, microwave, coffee/tea maker, iron/ironing board, hair dryer and 32" flat screen cable television, family suites with 3 beds available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Harvest Drive Family Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harvest Drive Family Motel And Restaurant
- Harvest Drive Family Motel & Restaurant Hotel Intercourse
- Harvest Drive Family Hotel