“Very disappointing stay”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Wembley
Syracuse, New York
“Very disappointing stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

I have stayed here many times in the past but am not sure I will return. The biggest issue was with room service. I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich and received a club sandwich. I didn't realize the mistake until after the server had left my room. I called down and was met with the most startlingly rude reply. He insisted that it was my fault, claiming to have read my order back to me. He did: "chicken sandwich" is what he said, not club. Its his word against mine, I suppose, except I hate club sandwiches and have never ordered one. Instead of making it right or apologizing, he continued to argue with me, so I hung up the phone and ate a sandwich that I detest. There were ongoing water issues in the room. On one morning, there was no water in my room for up to five minutes in the midst of my shaving! On another, no water for a shower. I tried on these occasions to call down to the front desk but could never get anyone on the phone. I tried to tell the exec club employee but she was overwhelmed every time I was there: one person for as many as 30 people at a time. As a result, dirty dishes would pile up and hot canapes took ages to arrive (two nights in a row, it took 30-40 minutes before any were delivered, and this created a scarcity mentality among guests, with some taking multiple plates of food! Because I could never speak to anyone, I left a comment card but after more than 10 days, they apparently couldn't be bothered to acknowledge that they'd look into the issues. I have often suspected that those comment cards are just there to allow guests to vent any frustrations they may have had rather than used by hotels to improve the quality of their services.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Hilton-Wembley, General Manager at Hilton London Wembley, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Guest,

I was very surprised to receive your feedback, and as such, I would be grateful if you could provide us with your telephone number so that we may contact you at your convenience to discuss your experience in detail. Please contact our Director of Operations directly on Russell.markou@hilton.com

In the meantime, please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointing experience. I am only sorry you didn’t receive our normally high standards of service.

Rest assured and similar to all the Trip Advisors reviews we receive, we also review all guest comment cards completed by our guests.

We look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Bernadette Gilligan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Quality hotel located just next to Wembley Stadium and Wembley Park Underground Station. London Designer Outlet is 2 steps away offering many shops and restaurants. Still a hotel's restaurant is really good and reasonably priced.
I've been staying for 3 nights there. Rooms are new and very clean. No need to tell about every-day cleaning and quality breakfasts. Even if your door had a 'DND' sign you'll find a letter under your door from the hotel offering to clean your room once you are able to let them in.
Staff is very friendly and helpfull.
There is also a wellness center but I've never been there.
Very satisfied.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us recently.

I was delighted to learn that you had a pleasant time with us and that you enjoyed all that our wonderful location had to offer.

We all very much look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton London Wembley in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel. The reception is extremely lovely. The rooms are a very good size and i was impressed. It is a shame the closest parking is the good parking which is rather expensive however for the price we paid for the hotel i cannot fault!

Bathroom, amenities and bed was lovely! Will be happy to stay here again!

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review, we very much appreciate your time.

I am delighted that you impressed with our hotel and that you found our rooms good in size.
I have noted your comment regarding the parking charge. The car park is not owned or operated by Hilton London Wembley, we have negotiated a discounted rate of £15.00 for 24hours continuous parking for our hotel guests. I am sorry that you felt the parking was expensive.

Thank you once again and for letting us know you would return. We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel very soon when we will have the opportunity of looking after you once again.

Sheffield, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel whilst attending a conference at Wembley Stadium. The hotel is right next to the Stadium and so is ideal if attending a function. It is also adjacent to Wembley Arena. It is a 10 minute walk from Wembley Park underground station. The hotel itself is modern and nice enough. I was in a King Executive which gave me access to the Executive lounge which was pleasant enough - a decent supply of drink and canapes, (much better than the Manchester Hilton canapes), from 6pm -8pm or 7-9pm depending on I'm not really sure! My room was nice with appropriately modern furnishings however, the bathroom was dated and old-fashioned looking. Just a bath with a shower attachment rather than a separate shower - also a note in the bathroom apologising for staining on the sink surfaces - apparently they were working to rectify it. The scandalous thing though was charging for wifi. In this day and age it is awful practice to charge anything for wifi - I know they don't advertise wifi as "free" and therefore will justify the charge but blimey £14.99 per 24 hour session is outrageous - Dick Turpin would be proud of them. Wifi is free in the Exec lounge and I think in other communal areas but Starbucks can offer free wifi for the price of cup of coffee and McDonalds bundle it with a hamburger and yet the Hilton cannot for the price of a "King Executive" - they should be ashamed of themselves. I did not use the restaurant so cannot comment on that. The hotel bar was fine. Not really a glowing report - it was all adequate, (checkout was slow as was checkin), other than the wifi issue which as I've said already is disgraceful.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hilton-Wembley, General Manager at Hilton London Wembley, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete this review, we really appreciate it. We hope you had an enjoyable and successful time at the conference.

Many thanks for your detailed response. I was delighted to read that you found our hotel modern and I am also really pleased that you enjoyed the canapés in the Executive Lounge!

Thanks for your feedback relating to the bathroom. Hilton London Wembley opened in July 2012, unfortunately since opening we have discovered a defect with this marble across over 80% of the hotel causing stains and marks. We are currently in dispute resolution with the manufacturers of the bathroom pods and hope to have this resolved and all marble tops replaced in the very near future.

I have taken on board your comments regarding the charges applied for internet use. Hilton Hotels are very transparent in regards to internet charges. As a Hilton Brand Standard, we offer free wifi in all public areas.

Thank you again for sharing your experience us. We very much look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Paderborn, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for the England v Denmark match. The hotel is in a great location to the stadium and we took advantage of the executive lounge which is on the top floor of the hotel. It was great standing outside on the balcony soaking up the atmosphere with a beer. The stuff were very friendly, we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us following your recent stay at Hilton London Wembley.

I am delighted that you found our location to be perfect and you were able to enjoy our Executive Lounge!

I am really pleased that you had a wonderful stay and you found our team to be friendly and helpful.

The team at Hilton London Wembley are delighted to be able to offer you a friendly service and we certainly hope that we are able to welcome you back in the near future.

Cardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed for six nights at the end of February, we had 3 rooms, two corner suites, (798 and 898) and an executive king. All the rooms were lovely, comfortable and very clean. We enjoyed the space in the suites and the separate shower in the bathroom was great. In the executive room you only have a shower over the bath which is not problem but I prefer a separate shower.
With all the rooms we had free breakfast in the executive lounge which was good. On a few mornings we took breakfast in the restaurant and this was good except on one day when the lady cooking the eggs spoke poor English and it was difficult communicating our preferences to her.
We have stayed at the hotel several times before and this time we noticed that the standard of the Executive Lounge had dropped. The Staff were extremely pleasant and as efficient as always but the quality of the drinks and canapés were not as good as they were in the past. We were disappointed to find that the lounge no longer serves 'afternoon tea'. It appeared that the lounge was undergoing a big cost cutting exercise. It was still nice to sit in the lounge and enjoy the views from the top of the hotel.
We ate in the bar and restaurant many times during our stay. The food was very good, definitely above average. On our last night we had a problem in the restaurant because service was quite slow and our food arrived cold. This problem was rectified by the Manager and we were compensated for our disappointment.
The pool was nice and never overcrowded when we visited.
All the Staff at the Hotel are extremely friendly and efficient, especially the two ladies in the Executive Lounge who have worked there since the hotel first opened, they remembered us from our previous stays and did all they could to make our visits to the Lounge enjoyable.
I would definitely recommend this Hotel and I look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete this review following your stay at Hilton London Wembley. Thanks for choosing to stay with us when you visit Wembley!

I was very surprised to receive your feedback relating to your experience, and as such, I would be grateful if you could provide us with your telephone number so that we may contact you at your convenience to discuss your experience in detail. Please contact our Director of Operations directly on Russell.markou@hilton.com

In the meantime, please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointing experience. I am only sorry you didn’t receive our normally high standards of service which you have experienced in the past.

On a positive note, I was pleased to read that you liked the rooms you stayed in and that you also experienced a friendly service delivered by the team.

We look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

This hotel was modern, clean and luxurious and the staff were very helpful and friendly. Has everything you need in the rooms and the Breakfast is fantastic. I also used the pool (guests just swipe their room key card to access the health club) and found it very clean.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hilton-Wembley, General Manager at Hilton London Wembley, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us and really pleased that you found the hotel luxurious!

I am delighted that you had the opportunity to experience our gym which offers amazing views of the Wembley Stadium.

Thanks for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.