“Wembley Madness”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Wembley
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Wembley Madness”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel on Friday and Saturday 31st and 1st June as I was attending both the England football game and the boxing at nearby Wembley stadium and had wanted to treat myself after my recent marathon exploits. I had stayed here before for a concert at Wembley arena and loved the closeness of the hotel to the venue.On the Friday I was greeted with courtesy and politeness and very much enjoyed my stay and everything was fine. On the Saturday however how things had changed. The hotel has a policy of letting in non paying guests to its bars on both the 3rd and 9th floors and subsequently I was refused entry to both bars despite being a guest, as I was informed they were both full. Yes they were full with non paying guests and I decided to try and go outside to find a bar/restaurant but it was absolute chaos around the lift area so much so that I ended pushing three very inebriated people out of the lifts who had shoved their way in hoping to get to the 9th floor, the lft would not move as it was overcrowded and the women in the lift were getting squashed and concerned. I got covered in drink for my efforts and verbally abused in front of my partner which I to be honest wasn't bothered about but my partner was upset and concerned about me.
I have to say I never bothered to complain at the time as the hotel was in absolute chaos with people milling around everywhere and most with drinks in their hands and when I went to check out on the Sunday the queue was ridiculous so I just handed my room card to a staff member and left. I am due to stay here again in December but my partner does not want to go through that again despite my reassurance that it may off been a one off.
The hotel itself is wonderful and its so dissapointing to have to write a review like this as the rooms and facilities are fabulous, but they really do need to address the non staying members access to the lounge and bar areas. It would not be so bad if you were allowed a guest or two in with a wristband so you knew who was legitimately in there but to open it everyone became a farce and will stop me staying again in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hilton-Wembley, General Manager at Hilton London Wembley, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete this review following your stay at Hilton London Wembley.

I was very surprised to receive your feedback, and as such, I would be grateful if you could provide us with your telephone number so that we may contact you at your convenience to discuss your experience in detail. Please contact our Director of Operations directly on Russell.markou@hilton.com

In the meantime, please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointing experience. I am only sorry you didn’t receive our normally high standards of service.

Bernadette Gilligan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Most travellers out of London will find that this hotel is located a short walk from wembley park tube station. This gives the hotel great links in to the city, being about 30 mins from most key locations around the centre and east of London. The jubilee line will take you all the way to Canary wharf so great for the business person wanting to stay away from the city.

Finding the hotel can be a little tricky if you don't know the area, I certainly wouldn't want to arrive after dark if I didn't know where I was going!

This area has developed a lot following the the new Wembley construction and the hotel is located right in the heart of a small retail outlet centre at the side of wembley arena.

Note - I REALLY would check if there are any wembley or arena events in when you plan to stay as I would expect it will be manic and busy if there are events taking place.

Once you locate the hotel finding reception is also a little tricky! It's around the side nr where the taxis etc are. You can see reception through the windows but getting in isn't very obvious in my opinion!

Once in... Reception is easy and swift but not very personable compared to other locations I have stated at. As a high level hilton honours member I expected a warmer welcome than that I received.

I had booked an executive room giving me access to the lounge. The lounge has celebs views of wembley stadium and has an outside area to relax in also. Opening hours are approx 0700-2100 but worth checking. Happy hour is 1800-2000 and during this time drinks and snacks are offered free of charge. I hope you like barbecued chicken wings because for my whole stay that was the offering!!!!

The staff in the lounge are very friendly and pleasant and you do have to push them if you want something away from what is display, ketchup for example!

The bed room was large enough and comfortable with the usual hilton offering.

I was up an out too early for lounge breakfast so had to have my food in the main breakfast area. What a joke!

Service is slow, staff appear free to do as they please with no real structure. There was always a long wait to get seated and then coffee was served cold etc. NOT the usual hilton breakfast experience.

Every day there was a fire in the toaster! Chinese guests insisted on putting croissants through the toaster despite the sign requesting you don't... BUT why not put the notice in Chinese so they can understand it???? Simple really isn't it!

The egg chef was friendly and helpful and nothing too much trouble. That was the only good experience I am afraid, F&B manager really needs to experience this poor service and put it right!

There is a gym and wet facilities available, swimming pool, sauna and steam room. Both the sauna and steam can seat 4 persons and any more gets crowded, which is a shame because the gym is used by locals enjoying gym membership so guests are pushed aside a little really.

Overall, book more than 21 days in advance and if you get a decent rate then book. If not a reasonable rate I would go elsewhere given the choice.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hilton-Wembley, General Manager at Hilton London Wembley, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with everyone, we very much appreciate your time.

I was delighted to read that you found our rooms and facilities to be excellent. We are extremely proud of the facilities and product we offer and are always thrilled to know our guests feel the same!

Thanks for sharing your overall experience with us which I will share with the team.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel soon when we will have the opportunity to look after you once again.

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Be aware that you have to pay if you want to access the internet. Is better to go to other hotels that have this for free. Internet in the lobby only and very slow... Not a great location either.... Not going back

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hilton-Wembley, General Manager at Hilton London Wembley, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete this review, we really appreciate it.

I have taken on board your comments regarding the charges applied for internet use. Hilton Hotels are very transparent in regards to internet charges. As a Hilton Brand Standard, we offer free wifi in all public areas.

Thank you again for your feedback, we hope to welcome you back to Hilton London Wembley on your next visit.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The Hilton here has been due an over haul for a long time. The room I had was spacious and the bed is knock out but the first thing I noticed in the room is stains everywhere. All well & good having a swanky room but felt really dirty. Also had no mobile signal in my room which again is a great let down as I needed to use this for work. Had to walk down several corridors to find a signal.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We only stayed one night as we attended a show at the arena. Perfect position opposite the stadium and arena with shops and food court/cinema etc right on your doorstep, 5 min walk from Wembley Park station. Check in was quick and Smooth all staff we encountered were friendly and helpful, maids were friendly and our room was really nice, clean, beds very comfortable, good tea and coffee facilities, air con great good shower etc. Breakfast was fresh, hot very tasty with good selection. Loved our stay will be back for a weekend .

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us recently.

I was delighted to learn that you had a pleasant time with us and that you enjoyed all that our wonderful location had to offer.

Thanks for letting us know that you will return. We all very much look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton London Wembley in the not too distant future.

La Linea de la Concepcion, Spain
Reviewed 1 June 2014

As hotels in London go, the Hilton London Wembley is just fantastic. Stayed in a standard room but the bed was bigger than a truck! And extremely comfortable. The staff were great, front desk and concierge very efficient and delightful.

We stayed the night before the England match, and 2 before the boxing, and the buzz was electric - you can certainly see why every man and his dog chose to stay here. Ended up drinking in Icons Bar with the pundits, and again the service was impeccable. Moving over to the Association restaurant, the food was sublime, but my one bug bear was the quality and price of the wine. Notwithstanding, a meal overlooking Wembley Stadium was spectacular.

The hotel is ideally situated a stones throw from the Stadium and Arena, and right next door to a shopping outlet - I couldn't recommend it higher - stay here!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

With kind regards

Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed the night for England Football. Good room, quiet and comfortable. Executive lounge needs serious attention. Breakfast - no napkins, no small plates, only way to get milk for your tea was to go to the milk machine for breakfast cereals and put some in a glass. One staff member there who was on the phone most of the time. Not usual Hilton brand standard but will go back to the hotel when necessary and perhaps go to Pret for breakfast which is next door.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple