“Has now surpassed the worst of the worst !!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Starvin' Marvin's - CLOSED

Starvin' Marvin's
Price range: US$0 - US$51
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating
London, United Kingdom
“Has now surpassed the worst of the worst !!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

It's not just heading downhill, it's heading downhill with skids on! Look, the fact that London Borough of Ealing gave this establishment a Food Hygiene Rating of 1 - Major Improvement Necessary - (zero is condemned and 5 is the best) basically says it all (go check Ealing's website). If you're the kind of person that likes to take risks with your (or more importantly your family's and children's) health, then sure go eat here. Dropped by to see if there has been any improvement over the years - there hasn't - it's actually got WORSE. Refused to pay for completely inedible offerings which included dangerously raw, undercooked cold burger and didn't stay. Fully endorse what somebody else mentioned in their review "you have to wipe your feet on the way out".

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Jan K

Eton, United Kingdom
“Starving Marvin's A40”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

Taking my 11 year old son to london, I'm wishing we had, had lunch there, having past this place pretty much since it opened we agreed to go in on the way back home, both the boy and I are fans of diners drive in and dives, alas this place fails to tick any of those boxes, walking into a pretty much empty restaurant we had to ask if we could take a seat, waited nearly fifteens minutes for a drink, that's when it all becomes real and you start to look around, the dust on the lamp shades, the refilled HP sauce bottles, dirty floors and out of date news papers and magazines, three staff working the floor and five behind the jump working the grill, badly, they didn't once speak of the orders taken, got three checks wrong for a a table of five, I'm pinching myself with anger at not leaving at this point, then they came, the two chilli burgers, thinking that twenty five quid would supply father and son with a modern classic, no, no and all day long no.

The chilli had the hue of boiled mince, token kidney beans, the patty well defrosted before cooking, the deep fried onions rings also of the frozen stock, less the onion, who would want to add a higher food cost to a staff cost that exceeds a small village.

On pretty much leaving what we had been given, I did contest the charge and question the quality, but with a marked lack of management I struggled to get any point across to a teenage girl that just wanted to make a living and would have no part in the infrastructure of what could be something special, you sit in here and imagine a little background music, some chipper guys making all things fresh, even a pit for the cue would have you coming back.

I left angry, my son actually tweeted his displeasure, on the up, it's something else we have in common now, profound disdain for places that offer you modern classics and give you cheap frozen food.

• Visited February 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Used to love this place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

I've been going to Starvin Marvin's since I was a child, my parents brought us there as a special treat and we really, really loved it. Having continued to go as a young adult, I still remember it being a great place (even if the 50's music was replaced with Kiss fm at one stage) and it still had great food. Sadly, in the past few years it has really, really gone downhill. I visited about 6months ago and again today, and was shocked at how dirty and run down the place has gotten! No one has bothered to clean all the really cool signs and photo's on the wall and the toilets are a disgrace! You're always left waiting for something either your food, a menu, cutlery, drinks or condiments whatever, they never seem to have it together. On this occasion, the table was dirty and hadn't been wiped down and the food was terrible! They used to have really good chips but now they taste like cheap economy fried chips, not nice at all. It is incredibly over priced for the poor standard of food that they serve and the condition the actual restaurant is in. Sadly it seems as if the owners have lost interest in the restaurant as it seems all they do now is hire really young girls who although are friendly and polite, are clearly inexperienced and lacking in formal management. I would actually love the owners to sign up with tripadvisor, read all the negative comments and do something before it's too late. A real shame.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Steffyb88
Amersham, United Kingdom
“Horrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stopped at Starvin Marvins on the way home and thought why not try it. The service was poor, the cook did not even know how to cook a sunny side up egg which was delivered cold and could have walked off the plate. We arrived around 11 45 and did not began to eat until 12 20. You figure. I asked for toast on brown breads and was told they did not do brown bread. Toast, forget it. Plenty of coffee, which was weak and you could see through it.

No atmosphere, no interest in us. The waitress who served us was eating behind the cooks counter constantly and then when we were ready to leave, we had to ask for the bill because she proceeded to sit down and eat some more. Being there felt like they were doing us a favour for coming in.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I'd rather gone hungry”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

It looks the part but sadly this is the first diner I would say is more a dive and certainly one to avoid.

Better off travelling a little further and going to Mcdonalds! chips were tasteless, burgers were god knows what meat and the bun was stale.

Service was friendly, slow in coming but the kitchen staff (one person) were really unhygienic. I was seated right near the kitchen so could see the 'chef' not wearing an apron and putting her hands over every surface, wiping them on get jeans! Rank!

To top it off, we found an eyelash in our food!

No where near the standard of food I expected from the fun diner style decor. Shame really as I'd passed it many times and wanted to go in for a quick bite.

Quite telling that I didn't finish the burger or chips ( Foods I love). I couldn't leave quick enough!

Plain and simple, I'd avoid it if you can.

• Visited December 2013