“One for the Du Maurier enthusiasts, otherwise don't bother”
Review of Smugglers Museum

Smugglers Museum
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Bolventor
London, United Kingdom
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“One for the Du Maurier enthusiasts, otherwise don't bother”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I am not a fan of the book, however my Mother was and she was immensely disappointed in the museum. Very dated and in dire need of a revamp. Expensive too, I only recommend going if you a real lover of the book and author, otherwise don't bother.

Visited October 2013

hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not open and not sorry”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Terrible staff who don't have a clue when they should be open and even argued that it wasn't April when it was actually the 4th of April, and according to their web(site and their printed literature it should have been open and it wasn't, no apologies were offered by the disinterested staff who appeared to have no interest in anything, let alone the history of the place.
The shop opened at midday (not 9am as advertised) and it was as awful as the attitude of the staff, full of cheap tat and BANKSY T SHIRTS???
As a museum worker myself, I would suggest that someone with some historical knowledge of the inn and a genuine interest in people should be hired to shake this place up, and turn it in to the treasure it should be instead of the shameful mess that it currently is.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank pixietoesHampshire
Diss, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Does what it says in the title!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

It's a museum about smuggling! It tells you the history and shows examples of how people smuggled over the centuries.

Visited September 2013
redcar
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“dont bother”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

It was a total rip off as the museum looked in need of a total revamp and upgrade.The video was informative. But the name Daphne Du Maurier suggests to me more on her yet a lot of the museum is on drug smuggling

Visited September 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Good if you've read the book”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to this inn. Unfortunately I arrived too late to visit the museum, but there is an ample bar, cafe area and visitor shop. I specifically enjoyed this visit as I have read the 'Jamaica Inn' book by Daphne Du Maurier. For that reason alone I was intrigued to note that it was how I imagined. My partner, who had not read the book was not as taken and noted it ordinary.

Visited July 2013