“Perfect peaceful retreat”

Ranked #9 of 16 Boscastle B&B and Inns
Bishopsteignton, United Kingdom
“Perfect peaceful retreat”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

A beautiful home and garden but with a wonderful lifestyle attached. We enjoyed an evening meal which was superb, lovely food and good company. Sally, Chris and Anna are great hosts, and we will be back again (indeed we have booked said visit today). Thank you.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Once again my wife and I were immensely pleased with our stay at the Old Rectory. Chris and Sally left most of the hosting this time to their daughter Anna and she made us just as welcome. She gave us the opportunity to meet her pigs and sheep which was an added bonus on our second day; feeding pigs was definitely a first for me! As ever the accommodation was immaculate and the quality of the organic, locally sourced and home grown food was excellent. Staying in "The Stables" ensured we had full use of the wood burner which was a most welcome comfort after a bitterly cold tour of the North Cornish coast. If you need information on where to visit during your stay, you can guarantee Sally has a book on it, ha, ha. I would highly recommend you visit the Old Rectory especially if you want to experience peace, tranquility and excellent views of the Cornish landscape.

Room Tip: "The Stables" is self contained and is ideal for a romantic and peaceful get away.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1964RENFREW
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Travel is always a relative thing; experience is individual. I have stayed in a fair amount of BnBs in England, and have stayed in many places throughout Europe and North America. That said, any traveler's experience is always ultimately local, so I don't know how much one person's more or less extensive travel equates to an equitable review of a single establishment. I belabor this point only to preface the fact that, for me, this was the single most enchanting, unexpectedly wonderful point of call I have made in my career as a tourist. I came here as a solo traveler, but I never felt less lonely than in this secluded corner of Cornwall. If you are lucky enough to find yourself in Cornwall, I think it advisable to make a very tiny part of it your own, rather than to do the American thing (and I am American, by the way), of trying to do "the whole thing." The Old Rectory is an ideal spot to do this. Beautiful trails abound in which to explore the coast and countryside, including a breathtaking coastal walk, and an equally gorgeous walk through wood and valley to the lovely and unpretentious village of Boscastle. You couldn't find more gracious hosts than Sally and Chris, who truly made me feel welcome in their home, and whose hospitality is perhaps my favorite takeaway from my visit to Cornwall. I should say here that I am a retiring and not entirely sociable traveler, but eating and conversing with the other guests at The Old Rectory was also a high point. Not least because the meals themselves -- products, in the main, from the flora and fauna of The Old Rectory itself -- were as memorable as anything I experienced during my stay. The beds at this bed and breakfast are beyond comfy, but believe me, it is the breakfasts that you will remember first and foremost. I never knew something so prosaic as eggs could be so delicious. Seriously. I am trying not to lapse into hyperbole in this review, but as I found my stay here to exceed my considerable expectations (I came here, as many do, as a Thomas Hardy nut -- and in that respect, I was, again, not disappointed), hyperbole it must be. I was told upon my arrival to this most felicitous corner of England that those that come to The Old Rectory tend to return. I certainly plan to do so. But in my memory, the land that is the ultimate repository of all our travels, I have already made many happy returns.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank riddley74
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2011

This was our honeymoon booking. We stayed for a week at the end of Oct in the Stable Block of the Old Rectory as we wanted to take our dogs with us. We could not have wished for a better place to have taken our honeymoon. Sally and Chris (the ownwers) could not have made us more welcome. The location was perfect. The Old Rectory is very secluded and peaceful with wonderful gardens. All the food, if not grown by Sally, is sourced locally and was truely wonderful. The breakfasts were to die for. Unfortunately booking in Oct was always going to be playing fast and loose with the weather. We had two truely wet days and three fabulously sunny days walking with the dogs on secluded beaches and along the coastal paths. Sally as always was really helpful and knowledgeable. It did't really matter that we got soaked and covered in mud as Sally did our washing for us.... how good is that? Also the room had a wood burner which we used every night making the place really cosy. A real treat after a wet day out walking. Thanks Sally & Chris for a lovely time.

Just after posting this review we are gooing to book another week!

Stu & Liz.

Room Tip: We could only stay in the Stable Block as we wanted to take our dogs. This was a large room with a...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
surrey
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Tucked away in the hills behind Boscastle, this character Victorian house is a good base for those exploring the north Cornish coast. Comfortable, spacious rooms, welcoming hosts and good food. Very peaceful. We had excellent breakfasts and a couple of evening meals which were great value - you can bring your own wine, no corkage. The food is either grown in the Old Rectory's walled garden or sourced locally. The grounds/gardens have spectacular views over the Valency valley towards the sea. Highly recommended

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Located down a maze of winding country roads outside the village of Boscastle, this hidden gem is an excellent setting for authentic English hospitality and relaxation.

A walk through the expansive Cornish countryside surrounding this guesthouse is a must. It has stunning views of the hills and dales in the region. Thomas Hardy has intimate links with this region and the house itself which are self evident. The wonderful host Sally (who was the only one we met) gave us a detailed account of Hardy's links with the area. The owners pride themselves on producing most of thier own food, from pigs, to honey, to fruit and vegtables.

Happy to recommend this destination if you are looking for a tranquil retreat in the heart of the Cornish countryside.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ThomasheenOgRua
Grantham
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Wonderful house and Sally was a wonderful host with a welcoming pot of tea on our arrival.

Beatiful gardens too not to be missed. Very peaceful, made to feel very wecome and just outside of Boscastle - what more could we ask!

We would definatlely use again

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscastle
The Wellington Hotel
Caroe Farmhouse Bed and Breakfast
Boscastle House
Boscastle House
#10 of 16 in Boscastle

Been to The Old Rectory St. Juliot? Share your experiences!