“Very good ales”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Very good ales”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We had the mussels and the steak. Mussels were very, very good the steak did look a bit unimpressive, but it tasted good. The ales we tried were excellent and I did like the cider from the tap. The seafarer ale was outstanding!Shame there were no changing facilities for our 10month old daughter.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank susiaustria

London
“Food is very overpriced considering its so awful.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

First trip I had the mushroom ragout. I'm a bloke who like salt buy it should have had a health warning.
Shame I thought as I like the bar and beer. Went back today and paid £11:50 for a burger and chips. Chips were good. Mayo good. Burger was shrivelled and dry (it was cooked to pink as ordered) the bun was very poor quality. Dry and crumbled in my hands.

Good for a drink but really a poor choice for food.

• Visited September 2013
Midlander (UK)
“Brilliant food, nice atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

The food is ultra fresh and tasty, the service is friendly and I look forward to eating there every year.

Visited August 2013
“chicken with a little extra”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

well where do i start!
me and my hubby have been traveling for some time now,thats why im only writing my reviews now.
we started our travels in january 2012 we made our way to the cornish coast around the end of february and stopped off in boscastle and thought that the wellington hotel looked like a very nice little spot to have some lunch , we were greated by a very nice welcoming hello from a young dark haired girl from behind the bar.
we asked what on the menu she would recommend and she said everything was good as they had a new head chef but the homemade chips and the sandwichs were nice for a snack at lunch time,so we went with her choice and ordered two BLT sandwichs and two bowls of homemade chips.
This could have been the best lunch i have had in a long time while eating out the bread was to die for and the chips fantastic.lovely.
We said we would be back and off we went full and happy.
Now heres where it all goes wrong we decided to revisit the wellington as our first experience had been so good .MISTAKE
we came back in mid november and saw that the menu had changed (not really for the better i preferred the old one) but we saw that now they had crab sandwichs on the menu and decided to go for two of thoses and some chips but this time when i asked the young man behind the bar if they were the same homemade chips as before i was told no they are not now we buy them in as we have a new head chef,so that made me think another new head chef already....
i wish we had tried somewhere different the bread although it was homemade was so dry me nor my hubby could eat them and for the amount they cost i would have thought there could have been alittle more crab(im aware crab is expensive)but really there was no more than a table spoons worthin there, and the chips not a patch on the ones we had had before ,also not a single member of staff came and asked if our meals were ok and the reason for this was they were all to busy playing some sort of game at the end of the bar to be bothered with the customers,infact i felt like i would have been interrupting if i had gone up to them and said anything.so we just left.
i wont be back again not till they get better staff and their head chef changes AGAIN!

Skye
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

The food here is good and we have now been back twice. Service was a bit of a letdown but the food made up for it.

• Visited May 2013