“Packed full of witchy information and displays”

The Museum of Witchcraft and Magic
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Boscastle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Museum of Witchcraft and Magic houses one of the world's largest collections of items relating to witchcraft, the occult and magic. With over 3000 objects, a wise woman's cottage, a herb garden and a shrine it is a memorable place. It has been in the picturesque Cornish coastal village of Boscastle since 1961 and is one of Cornwall's most popular museums rated highly on TripAdvisor. The Museum intrigues visitors with its collections of charms, curses, herbs and healing and sea witchcraft. Some of our most popular items are magical tools such as glass knitting needles, objects which were used for scrying such as black mirrors, crystals and crystal balls and our collection of protection talismans made by soldiers in the trenches of World War One. The Museum also has an extensive library with other 7000 books and an archive of documents which can be viewed online or visited by appointment.
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Well put together museum, a little cramped for the amount of items displayed but very interesting and informative. I'd like to have it to myself for a day to read everything!

1  Thank Nora S

Reviewed 7 August 2014

An amazing place full of very unusual artefacts. Lots to see and lots of information. A place which could interest all ages. A real eye opener into witchcraft. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The museum is a lovely little gem in Boscastle. A lovely lady at the entrance was polite and welcoming. There is a lot of information & artefacts to look at, I would have liked to spend longer, but it was quite busy and my 7yr old was a bit bored once he realised Harry Potter wasn't in there!

1  Thank Claire D
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Interesting place. We went to the museum as my daughter was really interested in it. Lots of information regarding the subject. I found it a bit small and crowded and at times quite challenging to read the information. It is different for sure and I'm sure people interested in witchcraft will enjoy it very much.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I must start by saying I didn't actually plan on visiting the museum but my husband was interested after walking past. On entry, we were greeted by a friendly lady at the front desk. First corridor we entered was filled to the brim with information and artefacts relating to witches in popular culture such as advertising. There are also many images and artworks relating to witchcraft and folklore.

The stories of witch persecution and hunts are really brought home by the weighing scales and torture devices. None of these artefacts are presented in a gruesome way at all, I found it all rather informative and interesting. However I can see how adults (and parents with young children) might not want to (or feel concerned) about seeing bones and mummified hands. Yes it's a bit dark inside but the interior and peaceful atmosphere are appropriate for the museum.

Having just visited Sudeley castle and the Tudor physic garden, it was good to see some of the healing herbs and roots on display here and information about their uses.

We liked the fact that the museum made some logical points and how they had had death threats which were completely unwarranted. A lot of the information here is a bit part of our history, you may not be interested in fortune telling or tea leaves but there is more than that on offer here. I particularly liked the history and meaning of the symbols.

For £5 an adult I really think it was a bargain and the guide book is value for money. Yes it's a small museum but there's a lot to see and learn.