“Wonderful little place, underrrated, needs more advertising”
Review of Benedict's Tearoom & Antiques - CLOSED

Benedict's Tearoom & Antiques
Cuisines: British
“Wonderful little place, underrrated, needs more advertising”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Having read the other reviews of this little tearoom, it's clear that it doesn't cater to everybody's taste. However, what seems to be the problem is not the friendly and attentive service, the reasonably-priced and tasty food or the delicious coffee (Note; the ONLY place in Callington that actually provides proper Barista coffee!) but the fact that the proprietors have dared to do something different and sell a wide range of knick-knacks and antiques at the same time! Oh My Goodness! That simply won't do! A food establishment with charming and cosy surroundings where you can actually buy the objects you see? Whatever next?

I feel that this brilliant little place, discovered just on the off-chance by my boyfriend and I on one of those 'why on earth did we come out to Callington again?' Saturdays is unduly criticised on this site by people who just don't 'get' it. Personally I think it's a wonderful idea and it's been a long time since I ate in an establishment where I actually felt so genuinely welcome. The wallpaper is beautiful for a start, the outside could do with a little more oomph but the interior really is crammed with all manner of things to buy to suit all pockets. For someone like me who spends too much time rooting through charity shops and antiques stores, this was heaven!
The cake was delicious and served in stonking great portions for less than £2 and they have a whole cabinet full of jars of loose tea. But no mugs and teabags here! They only serve in teapots with china cups and strainers so the whole thing goes back to the ritual it used to be.
Other reviewers have mentioned it's the kind of place their Granny would like. And to me, that's no bad thing. Rather this than yet another generic cafe with sticky tables, bad attitude and drab decor.

5 Thank Padster27

United kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,280 helpful votes
“Friendly and 'Nice' but messy.”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Marooned in Callington without a car, I had an interminable wait in Callington for a bus. Just opposite the stop were two restaurant/cafes. The fun little Balti House, which was shut daytime and next to it, the unassuming frontage of Benedict's. It was a blustery day and I ran for cover. Benedict's is an unusual place. I waited a minute or so for a lady to come out of the kitchen into the low ceilinged dining room which has a mixture of old tables and chairs set out across a room which is cacophony of stuff. A huge number of domestic items and pictures round the walls. It is not easy on the eye. The area around the counter was also full of things. The lady was however very welcoming, gesturing me to a seat and quickly explained what drinks and snacks were available. A bit quiet, no music or background noise and an elderly couple in the corner obviously felt that they had to drop their voices to faint whispers either to avoid being overheard or maybe because they felt it might be rude to break the peace. I had good fresh tea and some sandwiches and cake. It filled the gap in both senses. Nothing special but fairly priced. My only downbeat comments would be that the cafe had a slight uneasy air of formality and the mass of antique shop stock all over the place was too much and too shambolic to be easy on the eye.

10 Thank PlongeurV
Callington, United Kingdom
“A little gem waiting for discovery”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stumbled across this lovely Tea Shop whilst wondering around Callington one rainy day. It brought out the sun for us. We only had Tea and Cake but it was absolutely delicious friendly and efficient service too. Prices are very reasonable cake at under £2.00! We hope that lots of locals and visitors visit the tea rooms because it is great to see a new business start up. They deserve to be succesful.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Fiddlydee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tearoom with a lovey old feel.”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Friendly service, with proper coffee, and real tea served in vintage china teapots and cups. My ten year old daughter absolutely loves a visit to the tea rooms as she says it is like going back in time.
Prices are reasonable, and they offer a nice selection of good quality standard tearoom food. The home made cakes are delicious. It seems from other reviews that some are put off by the antique and vintage items scattered around. For me personally I love it! It has an old fashioned charm, welcoming, like a grandmother's parlour. Other cafés around the Callington area are all very nice, but are all pretty much the same in decor and style. I feel that the owners of Benedict's have put thought into creating somewhere different to have a cuppa, and I find it delightful.

1 Thank paranormal_chez
Devon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,333 helpful votes
“Needs to lighten up.”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Bigger inside than it looks from outside. Friendly welcome. Reasonable cakes under covers. Snack lunch menu including different soups. Plastic faux lace wipeable tablecloths. The problem here is all the hundreds of items on the walls shelves floor and every available surface. It reminded me of my grandmothers cottage sale about six months after her death when every remaining household thing was labelled priced, stacked up and set out in the gloomy parlour waiting for the auction off.

• Visited September 2013