“Very Disappointing - Incredibly noisy”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Tyacks Hotel

Tyacks Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Camborne
Surrey
“Very Disappointing - Incredibly noisy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We have just returned from a visit to Cornwall to see my niece and stayed at Tyacks for 2 nights which was more than enough for us!
We chose Tyacks because it is pet friendly which meant we could take our boarder collie on holiday for the weekend and I was very excited by this and had high hopes for our stay..... only to be left disappointed. Our room was basic with no Tea only organic available, the bathroom had a lot of limescale and the bed was very uncomfortable and too small for my husband. This was all bearable but the level of noise was horrendous! I am only 31 and enjoy a drink and music but to be in your room and be drowned out by a disco and DJ with the loudest base line I have ever heard was just horrendous.. once the music stopped we then had to endure everyone leaving the pub and shouting outside our window.. followed by the town bell ringing on the hour! Our rooms was right above the bar and it was nothing short of horrendous both nights we stayed.. no matter how loud I turned the telly up it did not drown out the music at all.
Breakfast was also a disappointment, our cooked breakfast was stone cold and when I asked the waitress for poached eggs (bearing in mind we were not asked how we would like our eggs) she got the hump and huffed off rather than smiling and saying no problem! Needless to say the second morning we decided to not go down for breakfast.....
It is a shame I have to write this but I feel people need to be fully aware of what to expect when the website says some rooms are "subject to noise" .. if you like rowdy pubs then this is the place for you, but if you want a quite break for 2 this is not the place to stay.
It has to be said the manager could not have been more helpful and understanding and we only ended up paying for 1 night out of the 2 we were there so 10/10 for customer service.. especially when they rung me to say I had left my wedding rings behind, very kind of them as it meant I was close enough to turn around and go back.
So it ended on a more positive note for us, nice looking hotel just a shame it is above a busy pub really unless you like that kind of thing.

Room Tip: Ask for a quite room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carrie W
managerCamborne, Front Office Manager at Tyacks Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for your review.

We appreciate all feedback good and bad as we can learn from our mistakes and improve our service.

We are very disappointed to hear your comments regarding your recent stay.

Tyacks is located in a very busy town centre. Noise is an issue, especially at weekends as we have live entertainment.
All of our websites state this. We are honest and do advise guests of this.It does also say if you would like a quiet room to please notify reception and we will do our best to accommodate you.

I have noted your comments with reference to meals and will speak with the head chef to improve standards.

The tea/coffee in the rooms is fairtrade organic and provided from Cornish Coffee as we believe in supplying locally sustained produce.

We are currently in the process of an extensive maintenance programme throughout the hotel. Our maintenance team are now aware of the issues raised and these will be addressed.

On a positive note we are pleased you were satisfied with the service given by the duty manager. We address all complaints and refund when justified.

I am sorry we did not meet your expectations and hope you will return to Cornwall in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Woking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

I chose the hotel on the basis that it was close to where I needed to be for an early meeting. The room was nice enough, with pine furniture and the bathroom, though rather dated with a few cracked tiles, was clean and everything functioned as it should.
There was a copy of the restaurant menu in the room, and it didn't look particularly inspiring at first glance (standard pub fare), but after a quick wander round town I decided it would be the best of a bad lot! It was only when I went back in to get a meal that I saw the extensive specials board which was far more inspiring and I ended up with a delicious seared tuna steak! The restaurant was busy with diners and I noticed that the meal portions for the fish and chips and such from the main menu were very large - so worth going if you have a healthy appetite.
Also they carry a good selection of ales which is also a winner for me (though I couldn't sample many as I had an early meeting).
Breakfast in the morning was also good with a good choice of cooked meals and cereals.
The price was good too - much cheaper than any low-budget chain, with a more homely feel, not to mention that you're supporting a local business.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for one facing away from the road if possible - the traffic noise started fairly early i...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Decent rooms ,friendly staff and average food.
Bar staff friendly and attentive, they directed me to local area attractions such as South Crofty tin mine.
Restaurant clean and tidy with typical menu for a local town establishment. Adequate for my needs.
Hotel has music events in one of the bars making for I lively evening and event was over by closing time.

Room Tip: Take a room at the rear of the hotel away from high st for quieter evening.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Camborne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Went into today for the launch of their new 'Bistro Boesti', and wow! Reasonable prices and very tasty. Lots of choices of flavoured coffees, from black forest or peppermint mocha, to gingerbread lattes or white hot chocolate. Nice choice of fresh cakes, flapjacks, granola bars. Great to see somewhere locally offering takeaway coffees that aren't just boring old lattes/cappuccino and are cheaper than places like Costa. Nice space to go in and relax and quick service from friendly staff. I think we all need to do our bit and SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESSES, otherwise Camborne will become like any other town taken over by big chains. Well done Tyacks!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on a recommendation from someone who lived locally. However, the room could do with freshening up and a deep clean and they were unwilling to provide breakfast when my 7 year old son and I had to leave early to catch the 646 train to Glasgow. Given the length of that journey I would have expected any hotel worth its salt to be able to provide a child with breakfast.

We were also told one day, by the waitress, "you're lucky, you've just made it in time. We stop serving at 930". We had arrived in the breakfast room at 915 - hardly cutting it fine!

But these things aside, it's a real shame the service let it down because the breakfast menu is fabulous and absolutely delicious. LOADS of choices and good sized portions.

The addition of free wi-fi is a bonus, but they don't really promote it and you have to ask separately for the password. I also found it quite difficult on several occasions to find staff to deal with any query, even on the reception desk.

Stayed October 2013
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Tyacks for 6 nights in July. Our room was massive- very comfortable with a nice bay window overlooking the street. The owners were super friendly and helpful, they have a very good policy for fair trade and sustainable produce, the bar is welcoming and comfortable. Plus there is a bus stop across the road which takes you straight to St Ives. Free wifi was also very welcome. All in all it was a great pub to base ourselves. We'd definitely recommend it and would definitely stay there again.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed here with some friends and had a thoroughly great time - Camborne has excellent transport links (train and bus stations) and Tyacks is just around the corner from both. Friendly welcoming staff, great food, comfortable rooms and very reasonable price made for a fantastic getaway bolthole - we all recommend it unreservedly.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camborne
John Francis Basset Hotel
The Greenbank Hotel
The Greenbank Hotel
#2 of 24 in Falmouth
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,049 reviews

Been to Tyacks Hotel? Share your experiences!