“Surprisingly Good”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gorran Haven
Reading, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly Good”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Having read one or two reviews which were less than favourable we approached our stay with a little trepidation. Our worries turned out to be without foundation. From the time we arrived for a 3 night stay to the time we left the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. We were out of season and found that on the first night we were the only 2 residents, this increased to 5 people on the second night and reduced back to 3 for the third. However reduced numbers did not mean reduced standards. The food was excellent so full marks to Simon, the chef, his crispy hen's egg starter was magnificent and just has to be mentioned, but all meals were first class. Other staff of note were Nicky who served in the bar and in the restaurant, and David who manned reception and seemed to do everything else as well. The only reason we have not given 5 stars is that our luxury suite (Room 8) was quite dark with a small open balcony overlooking the rooftops out to sea and despite numerous ceiling lights we still could not see into the wardrobe. That though does seem a minor gripe when taking the overall experience into account. We would return - finances permitting - but would maybe look at another room. The weather was grey but at least it didn't rain!

Room Tip: Refer to our comments above. Check that your room does not overlook the car park!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Rock, Cornwall
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed at the Llawnroc last night with our friends and we had a great time. The food was great both for dinner and breakfast and the staff were excellent. The decor is bang on boutique styling and the quality of fixtures and fittings are very good. We will all be returning soon!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
bristol
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Really nice change after staying at the "Fowey Hotel" the night before. Thoroughly modern throughout and sparkling clean. Cheery guy on reception welcomed us and showed us to our room. Rooms are a decent size, really well appointed, modern flat screen on the wall, ipod speakers, PS3 (if thats your thing), lovely bed and a choice of pillows (ask at reception) Bathroom had the choice of a bath, shower attachment or rain fall shower. I went for all three, hot bath, rinse with attachment while sat under the rainfall (hell why not, its not your water meter!)
Decided to eat in for the evening meal and were really pleased with the choice. Have to say as its out of season i think we were the only people there (aka only car in carpark and didn't see a soul) so you may have reservations how good the food would be however these were unfounded. Scallops were delicious and the main of a posh burger were enough to prevent us having dessert :0(
The dining area is modern with a few " Laurence Llewellyn Bowen flourishes", not particularly my taste but hey, its spotless and clean.
Breakfast we had in the room (no cost option) Really good portion, perfect breakfast and good selection of options.
To be honest I can't say much about the location as arrived late and left about 11am, the view from downstairs looking from the dining area is of the sea and i guess the room above must have a great view. It a bit of a drive to get to in the dark but its well worth it. (parking is plentiful and free by the way)
The only really picky downside was the lack of atmosphere (out of season etc) but it depends if you want a bit of soul and if I'm really picky, if we were the only people there it would have been nice to have been offered the sea view instead of the car park. It would have clinched us returning a second time.

Room Tip: I'd really ask for a no cost sea view out of season, we had the first floor perfect view of our...
Torquay
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We recently stayed here for one night in the top suite which was a lovely large room with a well equipped bathroom. The restaurant and bar areas are nicely furnished and do have a modern boutique feel. It was very quiet during our stay which could have been a little disappointing but as my partner "popped the question" on the coastal path we were quite happy to have the place to ourselves! Dinner was delicious with great service and breakfast had everything you could want. My only tiny comment would be to have slightly better lighting in the bedroom as it was slightly dark when getting ready and this could easily be remedied by a couple of spot lights or better lighting.

All in a all this is a lovely boutique hotel in a quiet spot with the coastal path right on your doorstep. The rooms do lack good sea views due to the position of the hotel but we had the most perfect weekend and shall hopefully be back.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Have spent the day/night in the most amazing hotel celebrating my Son and daughter in laws wedding, and would like to take the opportunity to say a massive thank you to the team at the Llawnroc. Everything was perfect. The food was wonderful, the rooms were spotless and designed beautifully, the staff were very efficient and all in all must give a 10 out of 10. Even though. I live fairly close, why have I never been to this stunning location before? Planning to return for future celebrations. WOW - the final word !!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Lostwithiel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I took advantage of their stay for locals (pl or tr postcode) and had 1 night stay with dinner, bead and breakfast. The hotel was beautiful, clean and modern. Staff were friendly and helpful. Dinner and breakfast were great. Dinner, particularly, was really delicious with care taken over the presentation and combination of flavours.

The rooms were lovely and the beds so comfortable. We had a great night's sleep. We really enjoyed it here and would definitely recommend it.

Stratford-upon-Avon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is my first ever review and I have felt compelled to do it because of how wonderful a time we had at the Llawnroc. My experience of the LLawnroc started well I found, and I suggest you do a bit of googling before booking, a late deal that was almost half the price that I could have got on the hotels website. Was so cheap I called to ask if it was real and they said that could book direct for that price without hesitation.
I was a bit concerned that it might be a normal hotel with fancy wallpaper to make it boutique but the Llawnroc is the real deal. The quality of the fixtures and fittings is exceptional, someone has spent a good few quid on this place! We had room 10 which is small but perfectly formed. People have said on TripAdvisor that they have issues with the quality of service but the reason I am writing this review is because of the service, it was brilliant. You get left alone but someone is there for anything you need. I hate when hotels have loads of staff practically staring at you and lifting plates before you put your fork down. The service is attentive but not intrusive. The staff are so friendly and who cares if it takes 2 mins while they are seeing to someone else? Not me!
The food is brilliant and cheap. We had our evening meal for £48 and that was 2 starters, I had local scallops with belly pork and forget what my partner had but it looked lovely and then steak for main and my other half had beautiful venison. For £48 and you don't even get stung on the wine, the house Sauv is about 20 quid. They are so accommodating I don't think any reasonable request would not be fulfilled.
The location is very remote and you get no mobile signal and it made me feel very cut off from the world, what more could you ask for... Especially for me as I think that one day my fiancée will need to have her IPhone surgically removed! There is sadly WIFI in the public areas of the hotel and a cable in the room if you bring a laptop. You get a playstation 3 in the room but we didn't use that but suppose is a bonus if you like that sort of thing and free games and DVDs to borrow.
I don't normally get involved with the sourcing and booking of any weekends away we have but I was planning on proposing so had to this time and turns out I'm really good at it because we couldn't of had a better weekend. We told the bar man our happy news in the evening when we got back from being out for the day and when we got up to our room there was a bottle of fiz and a hand written congratulations card from the hotel. It is touches like this that make the Llawnroc truly special. I will 100% be stating at this hotel again at some point in the future and cant wait.

Room Tip: shop around first it could save you a lot!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 4 in Wadebridge
Tremarne Hotel
Tremarne Hotel
#1 of 5 in Mevagissey

Been to The Llawnroc Hotel? Share your experiences!