“Lovely food great service”
Review of The Llawnroc Hotel

The Llawnroc Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gorran Haven
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We eat at the Llawnroc quite regularly with our four children. The service we receive is excellent, Nicky in particular is brilliant, but we have always found all the staff to be friendly and courteous and the manager clearly takes pride in his role (see his responses). The kids menu is particularly noteworthy for quality and value so that keeps them happy while the adults can indulge!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Llawnroc Hotel

Reviewed 12 July 2014

This promised much but was rather disappointing. Our sea view room did have a view of the sea but not a great one, lots of houses in the way. The room décor was very modern and dark. We had booked a table for dinner which had been advised and I assumed it would be in a restaurant. In fact we had dinner in a large unattractive bistro style room which completely lacked any charm or character. Odd really, since there is a lovely room where they serve breakfast. When my main meal arrived it was wrong (they didn't charge for it) -food was very average. The bar area also lacks charm. Staff need to smarten their appearance. This hotel does not warrant the large price tag.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sophia27
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Big room, even with a child’s bed added. Well designed, up-to-the minute interiors. But in the restaurant we waited and waited for our food, and none of the staff thought to ask if we wanted anything; when we chased the order they said there had been a system failure and the food would be with us in 10 mins. Eventually, over an hour after we'd ordered, the food turned up. By this time it was 10pm—late for adults to eat let alone a child. What upset us was that none of the staff checked how we were and why we had no food for all that time, and then that we found ourselves helping them work out what to do next. We weren't charged. We'd have much preferred being able to trust the staff to look after us and wanting to leave a good tip for being well looked after.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Chilternette
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I stayed there in June it was his birthday, bit expensive but it was his birthday. On arrival looked stunning, reception pleasant, shown to room. We paid extra for sea view which was lovely. Went down to dinner which were advised to book got the impression they were going to be busy but quiet, thought let's have a pre-dinner drink, when the staff managed to drag themselves away from the football we ordered drinks (they was no if you'd like to take a seat we will bring them over) sat out on the terrace tables not cleared, looked very tatty weeds everywhere and just looked run down. Dinner wasn't too bad, lady serving very nice, we had to ask for the wine, when it came the bottle had already been opened, brought another one for a rose it wasn't chilled very much. Dinner not too bad. Decided to play scrabble in lounge the table in there was sticky and it remained like that for the next few days. No one came and asked if we would like any more drinks and was there anything we needed. Of course one now starts looking closely at the facilities, the bedroom was covered in dust and generally needed a good clean. Bathroom shower tap was so stiff my husband had to turn it on. Towels for a bespoke hotel were not what I would have expected hard and not fluffy white. Then next morning breakfast we arrived in the restaurant, asked by young girl for our order, started on cereal etc very poor selection for breakfast, plenty of cereals though, ordered toast and my husbands request for his gluten free bread for toast, was then informed chef was going to be late and there was no bread for my husbands breakfast. What was he going to eat, as he is also diabetic. Not a good start for the day. At 10.00 still no sign of chef so we called it a day, went to reception and complained about lack of bread and the state of the room, receptionist said we should have informed them about diet requirements when booking( which I did with reception)and they just that they get a lot of dust. Not very helpful. Friday hooray gluten free bread and the chef. Saturday breakfast ordered two rashers of bacon and one egg with toast separate, husband ordered vegetarian breakfast, my breakfast came with 2 bacon and 2 eggs on the toast, she took it back they were scraped off but still two eggs I pointed it out, said leave it on the side then! husband noticed each morning the veg brekkie was missing something, sauté potatoes and then the eggs, also my yogurt was out of date by 10days there were no utensils for serving cold meat and the meagre supplies of pastries, and the fruit bowl gradually went down each day suspect it was put back in fridge, how difficult is it to take a breakfast order, and on another note it would be nicer to have the waitress's hair not dangling in the orders. However when we left the bill had been adjusted we had the breakfast and one nights dinners taken off. In summing up it is a lovely hotel in fantastic surroundings but the young staff let it down and so does the housekeeping. You get the wow factor when you first come in but then there are cracks eg there was seagull mess down one window all the time we were there I know you can't help seagulls, no attention to detail, staff need more training, and breakfast needs to be a lot better. I think the finale was the chef in his whites and his mate sitting on the hotel wall smoking after breakfast, not a good advert, good job we were going and not checking in. Smoke by all means but be discreet. Disappointed.

6  Thank jessie09
Llawnroc022, Manager at The Llawnroc Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for your review. i am horrified to read that you did not enjoy your time with us. We pride ourselves in offering fantastic service and making our guests we welcome. I am investigating your points to ensure that these are rectified immediately.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Good points: Loved the location, decor of the hotel and size of bedroom. Bad points: on arrival bedroom surfaces were dirty,dusty and sticky. Dirtiest we have ever stayed in. Drinking glasses were dusty with white residue on the sides. Chocolate wrapper & hair clip on the floor from previous guests. 1 hand towel had brown stains which should never have been placed in the room. Immediately went down to Reception to inform of observations. Receptionist didn't want to see for herself however did send someone up to clean surfaces & replace towel. Hotel has great potential but we felt let down by a number of basic issues. 2nd day new towels, new stains, which Reception replaced again. 3rd day didn't bother to ask for towels due to 2 previous days' poor experience. Attic hatch wide open above entrance to our room on one day which Reception arranged to be closed. Phone in room not working, Reception informed, however not fixed during our stay. Hotel has a nIce terrace with ample seating and umbrellas, however broken glass to be seen on floor under seating which was there for the duration of our stay. Area could have done with a good power wash. Breakfast on days 1 &. 2 good, however on last morning my pancakes were saturated with fat & undercooked in the middle. I informed the waitress who took the pancakes back to the chef. We then heard him sarcastically say. 'I'm heartbroken'. We felt very disheartened at this point. We informed the receptionist on leaving. She apologised however seemed disinterested. Bill did not reflect the correct room rate. In order to improve, management needs to take charge, as it was not clear who was at the helm. Lots of young staff with little evidence of customer service or hotel management experience. As per other reviews the hotel cleanliness is still not taken seriously. On a good note, bar staff were nice & the restaurant's senior waitress was efficient. Overall such a shame as hotel could be a gem!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sianicymraeg

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us. Your points, which we take extremely seriously, have been raised with the team to ensure that this will not occur in the future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We paid 435.00 for 2 nights and for that kind of money, I expect top service which was not what we received sadly. I wanted to love the place as the hotel room and decor and location was fantastic, you couldnt fault it. Sadly, when we arrived on the Friday a lovely polite young lady greeted us and showed us to the room. We then went onto the veranda for a drink, entered into the bar no staff to be seen. A polite young man eventually appeared and proceeded to serve us, we then went out side to find smashed glasses and plates where the seagulls were having a field day as there were no staff to be seen to clear the tables. It was like something out of a comedy film and this continued for about an hour. The area needed a bit of love as there are lots of weeds everywhere and a tatty bbq in the corner. That night we had a meal, the starter was lovely but the main was a monk fish green thai curry, i have never eaten a Thai curry that was so hot. I had to give it to my husband but also it took approx 40 mins for it to arrive, now you could say they cook to order but that is not the case as they would ask how hot you would like it and the fish was over cooked. Not what i have experienced before in such an expensive hotel. The napkins are paper and we sat in what felt like a dinning hall not the beautiful dinning room they use for breakfast. Next morning went down to breakfast we adked a nice young girl with blonde hair if it was ok to sit at a table by the window and she replied certainly. Then to our horror we sat there for 20 mins and was totally ignored until a rude dark haired young lady (who also works on reception) came over and requested that we move to a table that hasnt been used. The breakfast was not to a high standard at all, we over heard others moaning so we thought later on my husband would have a quiet word with a Manager. When we went to reception I witnessed the same young lady dealing with another couple who was leaving and again complaining, the young lady just smiled and said ok and brushed it off. Appalling the staff are not trained and it seemed to me they could possibly be students no attention to detail. When my husband met with the manager he thanked my husband and sent up a bottle of Preseco and took off the previous nights meal bill. Saturday night we proceeded down to pre dinner drinks in the bar where the Manager was serving he could not look at us in the eye and was very strange not how you'd expect a Manager to be. The service for us that night was false and over the top as no one in that restaurant had the same service and again one group waited nearly an hour to be served. Overall it seemed the staff where not trained to a high standard and not enough of them. On the thursday evening we had my husbands 50th birthday meal at St. Elizabeths House, Plympton St Maurice, Plymouth prices much the same food standard, service overall experience was amazing. The suite price was 150.00 a night again fantastic. May I advise you that you should pop along there as it is only in Plymouth and they will show you how your hotel should be run and also reduce your prices as your hotel certainly does not match your prices. Sad as it was for a break as my husband is unwell so thought id take him away for a couple of days to carry on his 50th birthday celebrations.

1  Thank Jackie K
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Me and my wife stayed in this hotel previously and got engaged on the beach down from the hotel. We both loved the hotel and so wanted to have our wedding there. We booked up and put the deposit down. They gave us exclusive use of the hotel as we could fill the rooms that the hotel had.

From the moment that we asked up to the day the staff at the Llawnroc were amazing. I was deployed to Afghanistan and the dates clashed with the original date of the wedding. They were more than happy to push it back to a later date no questions asked. My wife and the management team would regularly keeping each other updated. No query or question was a problem and they would always get the answer to us.

My wife stayed at the hotel the night before so she was there ready for the morning and she had a meal at the hotel. The food in the evening was amazing and the staff made sure that she was looked after throughout the evening even giving her and the bridal party a
bottle of prossecco

On the day the staff did everything perfectly. They made sure that my wife had everything that she needed. Once I had arrived everything was ready to go. The manager just directed me where I needed to be and at what time.

The food for everybody was fantastic and all of our guests complimented it. We were well looked after throughout and staff checked that we were happy. They had a excellent wedding menu but were also wiling to amend dishes to individual tastes - it was these little personalised touches that made the Llawnroc stand out from other venues.

We had an amazing day and cannot thank the managerial team, staff and chefs enough. The staff worked tirelessly throughout the weekend and made sure every detail was perfect. Both me and my wife love this hotel. The food is amazing, the location and feel of the hotel is brilliant and everyone that was there thoroughly enjoyed their day. Most of all us.

Thank you to all at the Llawnroc.

Room Tip: All rooms are fantastic. Me and my wife had the Suite (room 8) and we loved it. All the rooms are br...
1  Thank Paddyfeeney89
Llawnroc022, Manager at The Llawnroc Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for your review. We were honoured to hold your wedding and glad you enjoyed your special day. It was a pleasure to work with yourselves and help create your perfect wedding day. The team and I pass on our best wishes to you both for the future and hope to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorran Haven
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The Alverton
The Alverton
#1 of 4 in Truro

Been to The Llawnroc Hotel? Share your experiences!