“The worst meal I have ever had the misfortune to taste SAVE YOUR MONEY”
Review of Diing Tay - CLOSED

Diing Tay
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
St Ives, United Kingdom
“The worst meal I have ever had the misfortune to taste SAVE YOUR MONEY”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We visited on 3 June, without having read any of the poor reviews here. The restaurant was empty when we arrived around 7.30 pm. The young waitress explained that they had no licence, having only recently taken over the business. We ordered steamed prawns with garlic and salt and pepper spare ribs as well as a main course and chow mein. We were given prawn crackers to nibble with bang bang sauce which I think was made with salad cream and peanut butter. When the starters eventually arrived the shelled prawns were swimming in tepid water with a few bits of raw chilli and garlic. The spare ribs were coated in what looked like browned stuffing mix. I tried one prawn and also scraped the mound of coating off the spare ribs to search for a bit of meat amongst the fat. Neither dish was remotely like we expected. At this point I went to the counter and explained that we didn't want our main courses and would not finish the starters as they were in edible. I was asked to explain what was wrong and asked if I would like to explain to the chef (who is not Chinese but has allegedly been trained by a Chinese chef). The young waitress told me she didn't know what the food was supposed to look/taste like. Our offer to pay for our starters was declined and we were given a £10 voucher towards our next meal being assured by the young man (the owner?) that if we were to come back in 6 months we would have a much improved dining experience.
I am amazed that this restaurant (now called Harbour View) has any better reviews from 2014, but there are a number describing the food as delicious. This is very odd. I also find it strange that management have not responded to any of the poor reviews here. Don't they care?

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank cornishgirl294

“nasty”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The food is dry, over cooked and greasy. the sweet and sour beef was horrible, the beef tasted like it had been rehydrated, the chicken fried rice was very rubbery, the sweet and sour sauce was watery
The prawn balls had more batter than was necessary and swimming in pool of grease

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Mandy F
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Change of ownership”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Ding Tay has changed hands and is now called the Harbour View.
In its Ding Tay incarnation it was truly awful, however the new owners have taken the place by the scruff of the neck and it has improved dramatically. The food was tasty and the portions were of a good size. One of the owners is a coeliac so they are well aware of wheat and gluten allergies and can adapt dishes accordingly. it is comforting to know one can eat there confidently knowing it is gluten free if desired. I have only rated the restaurant average which is perhaps a little unfair but we have only tried it once and I would like also to eat in as we currently just had a takeaway. I wish the new owners every success and if anyone from Trip Advisor is monitoring this a new entry for Harbout View should be made and this review moved accordingly.

Leicestershire, United Kingdom
“Don't bother ... Waste of money!!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Better hope u like garlic fried rice instead of egg fried rice.... Cremated crispy beef.... Tasted nothing like Chinese ... Wet sauce no taste ...

3 Thank K2patz
Hayle, United Kingdom
“Would not bother.”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Disgusted! The food we had was disgusting never in my life have i experienced anything like it. Curry sauce was horrible, my egg fried rice was all wet. Meant to be crispy beef was drowned in brown horrible water. Chips were minging also the chicken fried rice was hard rice grains like it hadn't been cooked. So very tasteless and was not worth any penny i spent there Lazy is what i call it. They call it a chinese? HA disgusting the food did not look edible at all therefore it did go in the bin and we ended up going to the fish and chip food which tasted gorgeous. Will not be going here again and will be telling people around not to go here before someone gets food poisoning there. Not worth it.

3 Thank CMick83