“Excellent Experience!”

Gwithian Academy of Surfing
Ranked #1 of 3 Tours in Hayle
More attraction details
Owner description: Come and surf with us at St Ives Bay in Cornwall. Learn the basics of surfing or fine tune your technique with a surfing lesson at the Gwithian Academy of Surfing - one of Cornwall's longest running and most highly regarded surf schools.At our surf school we take surf tuition seriously and work hard to make sure that your surfing lesson is as fun and rewarding as possible. For this reason all of our coaches are fully qualified as surf coaches, lifeguards and first aiders and two have even coached the British Junior Surfing Team on a number of occasions. A surf lesson with us can help you to achieve all of your surfing goals.Gwithian Academy of Surfing is an Academy of Surfing Instructors Accredited Surf School (one of only three in Britain) that operates from Gwithian - the Northernmost point of St Ives Bay - and is very close to the towns of Hayle, St Ives and Penzance.Our surf school is run from a purpose built beach-side location where we can offer changing facilities, a classroom for teaching surfing theory and providing video analysis, a gym and ample parking.Gwithian Academy of Surfing offers group and private surfing lessons for all levels - beginners, intermediate and advanced- and for all ages. We regularly cater for families, backpackers, children, schools and corporate groups.Beside our surf school we have a surf shop where we can spend time with you to find the right equipment to suit your build, style and ability.Accommodation can also be provided in our beautiful seaside village to help make your stay the perfect surfing holiday.
Bristol
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent Experience!”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I completed some surfing sessions with my partner at Gwithian Academy of Surfing in August and it was brilliant. We chose to do two sessions and this included a 2 hour lesson each morning and an additional hour to use the equipment on our own. As beginners, this was perfect, especially since we spent the majority of the time in the water. The instructors were really friendly and helpful and the whole experience was well organised and efficient.
I would recommend doing a surfing course with them and will definitely be returning.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Tyson G, Owner at Gwithian Academy of Surfing, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for the lovely review, we are delighted that you had such a good experience with us and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“wetsuit hire - fab value!”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Amazingly good price for wetsuit hire compared to other local businesses. Very friendly staff who are willing to advise you on safety as well as location :)

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thanks for taking the time to review us, we really appreciate it and we are delighted that you found us to be such good value. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
London, UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“I never thought you'd get me in a wetsuit....”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We booked this on a whim as part of my Hen week in Cornwall, thinking it would be a great idea. Now, i'm no spring chicken, and i'm certainly not built for head to toe neoprene (?) but as i was with my mates i thought, why not.

I have to admit we messed the guys around quite a bit, changing the numbers, dates etc right up until we had no choice but to go that day, or not at all and they were very patient with us.

So it was that 5 of us 30 something complete non surfers dragged ourselves very unwillingly to Gwithian for what i belived would be the most humliating experience of my life.

As it was, the surf was very low - to the point that we offered to not bother going. A suggestion that was naysayed by the lovely team who cajouled us into our wetsuits and marched us down to the beach.

I'm so glad they did. What a laugh! Even the fact that our instructor was probably young enough to be my son and i couldn't even get on the board laying down, let alone standing up didn't dampen our spirits. Two ofour party actually managed to surf, not bad considering less than an hour earlier we had no idea what way round the board went.

All in all a brilliant experience that i recommend to anyone of any age. I'll definitley go again.

Visited June 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thanks for the review and for coming to us for your last adventure before marriage! Hope everything is good with you and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
London
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“a good day's surfing”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I didn't actually have any surfing lessons but instead just hired a body board and wet suit for half a day. Excellent value for money and what impressed me most was that I'd accidently left my sentimental raybans in the changing area. They were waiting for me later that day behind the counter. Made my day.

Visited September 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thanks for the review, we are really stoked that you found us to be good value for money and that you got your sunnies back in one piece!
Penzance, England, United Kingdom
“Lessons for my language students”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The surf lessons were a highlight of my students' holiday and provided great weekend sport in between language lessons. They thought the instructors were friendly and patient with students with English as a second language - but mostly they enjoyed the great fun and achievement of riding waves. The students were keen to relate their enjoyment to families back home and to other language students in Cornwall. They were really looked after and I would have no hesitation in taking more language students to GAS. Geraldine Wilson Wallace

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thanks for reviewing us Geraldine. We are glad that you enjoyed yourselves. We find that surfing lessons are quite a 'visual' experience and often non English speakers don't have any problem with picking it up. Maybe it's time for me to take some Spanish lessons!